What's new

Problems Transitioning to Flower

roasthawg

Lately I've been having problems with my plants paling out, stems purpling up, and generally looking unhealthy about a week after I flip them into flower. Aside from lighting, the only other things I change at flip are I increase watering frequency from once a day to 4x and I spray twice with dynagrow protekt and neem (once at flip and once again at week 3).

I grow in coco and my feeding regimen is flora 6/9 with 2ml/gal calmag and 5ml/gal hygrozyme. EC comes to about 1.2. I use the same regimen in veg and early flower. I'm suspect of the hygrozyme as since I started using it I've been losing a plant or two now and then to what I suspect to be pythium. I'm switching it out and adding sm90 in. But that shouldn't be what's causing the paling in flower as I use it in veg too. Maybe the spray of neem/protekt is messing with them but many people use that combo with fine results... and they look fine a few days after the initial spray at flip. Any ideas of what I could be missing here?

RonSmooth

Veteran
I wouldn't spray plants at all unless I was trying to correct a specific issue and the Hygrozyme seems unnecessary as there shouldnt be any organic matter in the coco that would warrant a need for it.

I would drop everything but your base nutrients and cal-mag. the 4x/day feeding may be a bit much, could be contributing to low oxygen levels and salt buildup. IF the plants do not have a robust root system, too much water/food can be detrimental.

By eliminating variables, you can get a better idea of what is causing the problem.

How far are your lights? What wattage? Temps?

roasthawg

Almost positive it's the foliar... spraying with Neem/Protekt per Dynagrow's instructions. Problems start about five days after first spray and get really bad about five days after second spray. I made the mistake of changing a few things at the same time... this was one of them. Cutting out the neem/protekt.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
here are my thoughts... I would stop foliar spraying, I would only water once per day (what size pots are you using mate? I use 11 ltrs and they dont dry at all - are you feeding so often because they're drying out fast?) and I would bump my EC to more like 1.6-1.8 at flip time.. depends on your strain of course.

I see you've been here a good while and I'm sure you know what you're doing, but I would suggest they will perform better with a slightly higher EC... only slightly mind you ;)

Coconutz

Veteran
remove the calmag and replace the ec with base
if you are already watering a couple times a day then you might need to increase ec altogether
4 times a day might be a little much for early flower unless they were vegged forever or in tiny pots

roasthawg

Thanks for the input guys... much appreciated. I'm gonna cutout the neem/protekt foliar first and see how that treats the ladies. One thing at a time so I can know for sure what's working and what isn't!