What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

preventing early spring flowering with clones

jackel

Here in norcal, clones are vegged indoors, slowly when their hours of daylight down to about 15-16. Then they are planted outdoors after May 15ths no sooner unless u supplement light (lights on each plant in the garden).

economic slave

the strain root bound to long in doors this things make revert i'm still working on it but i do love a big plant that keeping growing I had my plants to close together lost light to botom layer

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Here in norcal, clones are vegged indoors, slowly when their hours of daylight down to about 15-16. Then they are planted outdoors after May 15ths no sooner unless u supplement light (lights on each plant in the garden).
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=39710&pictureid=939145&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=39000&pictureid=921892&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
ive seen plants do it planted out third week of may. they stalled but didnt full on flower, it stunted em for several weeks. june 1st is a much safer bet.its sets you back more than a month or maybe even two of critical early veg season to go just a week too early.its a terrible loss.
exception being with supplemental light til june 1st for clones. seeds are a different story. i used to crack beans first week march and use natural sunlight. they sex and go into veg smoothly on that timeline with no supplemetal light. by the time they are sexually mature enough to go into flower(like clones are) its veg season and they have just merely shown flowers on the way to full veg.

Very useful information on this thread, thank you very much guys. Unfortunately for me I came across this thread a bit too late as a couple of my outdoor lady clones are already showing signs of blooming.

I am wondering if they will keep blooming and be ready for harvest in about a month and a half or if they will revert back to vegging and just stall growth for a few weeks? Hoping for the latter as I would like to harvest a small crop in June and have more clones and hopefully female seedlings that I'm now germinating ready for the outside in early June.

Any feedback or opinions are greatly appreciated. Jah bless grow farmers!

I was also wondering if, say I have moms and clones under 24/0, and gradually subtract and hour of light every couple of days until I'm in-tune with the daylight schedule would be better and minimize the chance of early blooming clones than to suddenly switch to 15/9 or 18/6 or whatever the outside daylight schedule is?

ive seen plants do it planted out third week of may. they stalled but didnt full on flower, it stunted em for several weeks. june 1st is a much safer bet.its sets you back more than a month or maybe even two of critical early veg season to go just a week too early.its a terrible loss.
exception being with supplemental light til june 1st for clones. seeds are a different story. i used to crack beans first week march and use natural sunlight. they sex and go into veg smoothly on that timeline with no supplemetal light. by the time they are sexually mature enough to go into flower(like clones are) its veg season and they have just merely shown flowers on the way to full veg.
Sounds like what I will have to start doing. All my previous outdoor grows (not very many btw) have been from seed so perhaps is why I haven't had that issue until now that I'm using clones.

I'm in nor cal so wondering if that schedule would work up here also? Shouldn't be too much of a difference I hope.

Anyways, thanks for the info str8edge Jah bless brother.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Tapering up or down doesn't have any effect. It's a myth. Once you hit the critical number of consecutitive dark hours consistently for a few nights it's done. Doesn't matter what cycle you veg Em at. If you want to reverse it use florel 1/4 strength it send Em straight back into ev for two weeks then get lights. Lil clamp lights whatever a couple hours or less even in the middle of the night keeps Em in veg.

PHDin420

Tapering up or down doesn't have any effect. It's a myth. Once you hit the critical number of consecutitive dark hours consistently for a few nights it's done. Doesn't matter what cycle you veg Em at. If you want to reverse it use florel 1/4 strength it send Em straight back into ev for two weeks then get lights. Lil clamp lights whatever a couple hours or less even in the middle of the night keeps Em in veg.

There is a simple solution that will work on any photo sensitive strain but if I post it, I'm certain there will be several people that will say it's a "myth". Although all of the reason's this happens as well as some solutions that work in some instances have been mentioned by one person or another the solution that will work with any clone from a photo sensitive strain hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

I have never NOT been able to grow any "forum cut" or other photo sensitive strain I've obtained from someone that was growing it under 24 or 18 hours of light and said I would never get it to grow outdoors when planted on May 15th between 35* and 45* latitude, with a day around 14-14.5.

If the mother is older than 3 months you have to start preparing them before Feb 1st but it can be done. I've done it with clones from mothers that were 3+ years old and under 18 hours of light or more the entire time before I got the clones.

If you know what "stress" will make almost any strain pop nanners than you should be able to figure it out. Think extreme and out of the box. Good luck.

Sorry I never read replies to my replies so I won't ever be here to answer any questions.

from personal experience i start taking clones off the mother, right around the next 2-3 weeks, when weather permits(no more frost) i begin the transplant straight into ground... light cycle inside is 18-6... i have NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH PREFLOWERING!!! mother nature always takes its course, after the moon cycle and the days begin getting brighter the plant WILL AUTOMATICALLY KNOW to GROWW!! last year i had mine outside by the beginning of may they grew 2 6ft twice in veg, had i let them grow they would have been 12ft no questions asked!!!! and this was in the high latitude of MAINE... 18-6 then right into the ground u will have no problems, u dont need any supplement light outside, the sun is good enough, plus its free =)... good growings

I am seeing bunchings of pistils after about 10 days from transplant (like the veeeeery beginning of flowers) (at 45N LAT) on one strain in particular (frisian dew) that went from 16/8, not even 18/6. The daylight is now up to 15:18 and climbing, plus twilight, I was VERY suprised to see bunching up of pistils, but no real stretching, not like an indoor plant swapped to 12/12 after 10 days. hopefully it will just back its way out of this. mandala #1 even has a preponderance of preflowers but is not "flowering" the tops are producing leaves, its just this one plant in particular that seems to think 15:04 is flowering (wow!)

in addition, the internodes are starting to stack a little tighter. i hope it pulls out of it, soon. is there any sense in going out there and "splashing" them with a 60 diode x 3 watt LED panel for maybe 15-30 minutes as it gets dark (or after it is)? or will i look raving mad and wasting time dancing around the plants at sundown with a 180w LED array?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I did a test run this year, putting a bunch of plants out early march in a hoophouse. some didnt do too well, but 2 in particular did very well, and this will now be my new method. No pulling plastic necessary, next year ima do it again, but fill the whole thing up with this strain...
picture.php

easy spring crop with no pull. Yeee!

Get a few bright incandescent bulbs and have them come on for around 4 hours in the middle of the night (10PM to 2AM works well). It is important to use incandescent bulbs because they have plenty of the light wavelengths that affect photoperiod. This will trick the plants into thinking they go through two short nights and one "day" between sunset and sunrise. Short nights translate into long days, or veg conditions.

Wolfshadoe

Good read,but couldn't read all 28 pages..The link below will give you a insight on the whole spring thing and flowering..I actually get 2 harvest off of one single plant in one season.There is a lil knack to it though>>ie,,,Timing /moon phase ect..I harvest the first set of buds no later than mid to late may..I cut the whole plant back to the first limb..Leave it growing,hit with heavy nitrogen on a full increase of moon,in MOST cases they will revert back to veg state by solstice mid june..These plants already have established root systems and will grow extremely fast once back to reveg state.But it does take time for them to slowely revert back..
Wished yall could have seen some of the grows we did in OG days.I was lucky enough
to bring the thread along over here back then..This method works!!! Its been tried and tested for those that can do it.Peace!! <ws>

Dblbogey

'Seedling-sprout-shoot' of a poor faring clone

'Seedling-sprout-shoot' of a poor faring clone

This is a Pure Sativa clone from mother that grew to 5 feet (with LST) and then hermied or fertilized itself and became loaded with seeds, halting the production of trichomes.

Don't know what to do about the new one inch tall shoots coming off the main stem of this clone, 1-4 inches away from it, around the perimeter of the original soft pot I planted it in. One shoot, closest to the main stem has larger cotyledons compared to any Cannabis plant I have ever seen.

Whether to 1) cut these new healthy shoots away at the main stem and replant them in new pots, or 2) let them continue to grow until they are at least 3-4 inches tall with stronger roots, three sets leaves, then cut them away and repot, or 3) to just leave them be and see if their growth will be more vigorous than the clone mother and if they are true replicas (and what kind: Fem, Hermie or male.) The original clone taken over a month ago has taken forever to grow, looks pathetic.

(Is it a clone if the growth looks exactly like a seedling, since clones do not have cotyledons?)

Air layering produces no Cotys either, nor does any other propagation method.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

Raiderbudz

So I got 10 plant in the green house and they been out there since March. My light would kick on at 2 am in the morning and turn off at 830 am. Mid april I cut down the light by 5min ever 3 or 4 days. By may 1st the light have been down to 3am. Today is May 12 and lights are at 315am to 7 am now for there it getting natural light till 8. By Jun 1st my light are going to be on at 445 and turn of at 630. Hopefully my plant will not pre flower..

CrushnYuba

I don't get how people get early flowering. Every year i veg in my greenhouse. I usually run a couple cfls all night long. It's not that bright in there. They are basically 24 hr light. End of May i kill the lights and i start transplanting June 1st in various gardens. I don't ever have early flowering. I always have minimum 300 plants of mixed variaty. Cherry pie, blue dream, romulan, tangy, purple tangy, gsc, animal cookies, bluedream x skittlez, sour patch kids, gg #4 , super glue, 3x crazy. So many other random clones.
It's not variety dependent. One thing i do believe is veging indoors is counter productive. As soon as my clones have visible roots they go into the greenhouse. I will not take plants from friends that have been growing inside.