What's new

Preserving stem and roots?

H

Huckster79

Ok I'm a sentimental dude- just finished my first grow - micro grow one plans in a freezer that turned into a real Frankenstein - was fun.

Just harvested and I wNt to save my main stem and roots (though separate) for nostalgia... I'm going to turn stem into the stem of a pipe- nice bend as I LSTed heavily.

But wondering if I could save root mass... Here's the thought- it was grown In a perlite/vermiculite blend. Try washing the medium away and put it in a nice container and fill with that "fake water" that dries hard.....
Could this work or was the scissor hash too good?

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
for the stem just let it sit out somewhere till it dries. for the roots you can soak em in a tub of water till the media washes off, or let em get dry and shake it off. you might have more success with washing them off. I dunno about this fake water, do you mean like rosin/epoxy that they use to make those "crystals" with roses incased in em and whatnot. like acrylic? I don't see why it wouldn't. but you should look into how they preserve plants "encased in glass" I think there might be some steps you have to follow to make sure it doesn't continue to decompose inside the resin/epoxy/acrylic.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Powered is on the right track. Or I should say, we're of the same mind here.

I say do it. If it works it'll be a nice souvenir. If it doesn't, try again and forget that it was the second attempt when you tell someone the story.

St. Phatty

but you should look into how they preserve plants "encased in glass" I think there might be some steps you have to follow to make sure it doesn't continue to decompose inside the resin/epoxy/acrylic.

Getting rid of the oxygen, basically pulling a vacuum while the plastic is still wet.

If you can find a shop that does investment casting for jewelry or whichever application, they would normally have a vacuum.

Basically you just let the clear plastic stuff cure in a vacuum.

No water either, but it sounds like you're drying it out.

You can do a very decent vacuum de-gasser sort of 'ghetto' or McGyver style. Just need a vacuum pump and a cavity to put the curing plastic in. Connect the 2 and make it air-tight.

Another possibility is having the root mass plated. As in gold or silver plated.

For that you need to establish a plastic surface on the dry root mass, which hopefully is not all droopy and LOOKS LIKE a root mass.

Once you have a plastic surface, it can be electro-plated using 'conventional' plastic plating techniques.

If you plated it with copper, over time it would pick up a nice blue green patina. So it would look even more like a little tree. :woohoo:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I saved a bigass stem and roots once.. I put it in my cockatiels cage as a perch.. he munched on a lot of it...he always did like his weed.....yeehaw..I miss the little guy

H

Huckster79

Yea the resin stuff like powers was thinking. I'm going to give it a shot...

But I'm for sure planning on drying stem and using it as a stem on a pipe- going to carve a bowl out of rosewood I think it is the websites sell in blocks for making a traditional tobacco type pipe out of... If it smokes like crap idc itll b cool just to hang up...

May not be worth th hassle but something to do at night for the hell of it....