What's new

Preserving Genetics While Observing Plant Limits?

therevverend

Veteran
Knowing what I know about the commercial growing situation in my state, the primary reason I'd get a recreational grow license is to breed with large numbers. Unfortunately the state restricts the sale of seeds and pollen to other commercial recreational growers. All the Rec growers use clones, plug 'em in and flower, so there's no seed market. It's an asinine situation. You're only allowed to buy seeds and clones from other Rec growers who are only interested in plugging clones in to flower and harvest as quickly as possible. Any impetus to improve your product or innovate has been stifled.

Of course from the state's point of view their laws have been a huge success. They've eliminated the medical and black markets, whittled the number of growers down to a handful that are easily controlled. Cannabis is cheap and plentiful in the Rec stores, and the consumers are being trained to shy away from cannabis that doesn't have a government label. The point all along was to create a model the country can emulate when recreational cannabis is legalized on a national level. I wouldn't be surprised.

White Beard

Of course I agree with JetLife that sprouting them all at once and allowing the ‘herd’ to open pollinate would be IDEAL, and let your patch invigorate, expand and settle into stable phenotypes.

Pretty much impossible in a spare room, not counting kids, pets, and of course, the Marijuana Enforcement division; but, it’s what I would do if I could (I can’t either: kids, pets, hostile roommates, no spare room...). In an ideal (or, maybe, just a *sane*) world....

In my post last night, I forgot to mention: LABELING. The tracking system must allow you to label each tracked item: plants, seeds - sure, easy, but you’ll need to be able to tag each physical batch of weed seed and pollen by generation, by parentage, by donor...adding that to the stack I piled up may make it seem even more daunting, but doing the detail planning up-front allows you to develop a code for your records as well as for your labels. All the work pays for itself 100x once you’re “in the weeds”.

Props: lemme know if you need anything

Latest posts

Latest posts