What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Preserving genetics .... the easy way?

OZZ_

Veteran
What’s up IC?

Life and work has brought me to Chicago, and we are currently in a 2 bed condo without much space (cost of living here is insane). I’ve got a TON of genetics from ACE and other breeders that are getting old but I only have a small grow cab 18”Lx16”Dx36” h with a HLG-100 LED.

I really need to do some seed runs before these genetics lose viability as some of these were purchased from ACE probably 7-10 years ago (kept dry in cold storage).

We are talking Golden tiger, Zamaldelica, Malawi, OTH, PCK, benghi haze, Nepal jam and others too.

I’m seriously considering just putting 6 beans in 6 solo cups and flipping them to 12/12 and let them just pollinate each other freely.... a full blown seed run.

Think this is even pheasible? I can just chop them and tie them back , cut the crap out of them to keep them low enough. Not sure how well it will work out, it might end up being a nightmare of a mess lol

Then the other concern is cross contamination from one seed run with one strain to the next, the walls are lined with Mylar, Would I need to rip all that down between runs and wipe everything down?

Just trying to figure out my best course of action on how to handle this.

TIA!

Attachments

• 24EC8DEA-C2EC-488E-8ADA-329A084D1934.jpg
    24EC8DEA-C2EC-488E-8ADA-329A084D1934.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 55
  • C49A884A-4608-40B4-8461-4E902329E16C.jpg
    C49A884A-4608-40B4-8461-4E902329E16C.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 55

RomulanJake

It sounds like youd be doing 1 strain at a time, right? If that's the case you can do it just fine. I'd say try to go to 1/2g. or 1g. if you can fit them. You'll want to cull them down so you only have 1 Male by the time your 2 weeks into bloom, and either the rest are the females or select the best one female to pollinate and cull the others. Select the best looking plants, which is tough without clones but itll work. After the pollen spreads and the plants are making seeds you can pull them out for a minute and spray the cabinet down with water. This will neutralize the Male pollen, and keep you from having issues with the next crop. Which with veg time you dont have to be too concerned with anyhow. Pollen wont stay viable for too long if its exposed to the environment.

At least that's my 2 cents. Hope it helps, and good luck.. you can do this, just stay focused and vigilant. You'll do fine.��✌

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
There are actually a few threads recently on doing what you're thinking about. Anyone have the links handy?

clearheaded

ROM it sounds like he is more into preserving and making large varity to then go select. or def can go ahead and choose top couple males and top couple fems, just narrowes things down which can be good or bad depending on what you are wanting to accomplish.

to me it sounds like just want to preserve as most as possible. def can cull undesirable plants but if fairly close use everything esp if is var past the f2 already ie hermie or no vigor.

OZZ_

Veteran
This is correct, I really just want to preserve the genetics without going through and selecting phenos, as I don’t have time to do that now. Popping the beans, to eliminate weak fries is fine though, and also I believe I’m done with selecting four females and two males and just lettingbit do it’s thing in order to preserve genetics. I’m some cases, the strains are very stable, I’m others like ACE’s Zamaldelica.... it’s a three way polyhydrid consisting of Malawi, Zamal, and Thai parental plants and all three phenos tend to express themselves. I don’t want to lose the opportunity later to pheno hunt, but rather keep those genetics in seed form.

What’s the best way to do it?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Sprout the seeds.
Chop the first 5-6" cutting on each, label well and root under 12/12 lighting.
Flower the males, collect, dry and properly store the pollen.
Flower the females.
Pollinate individual branches, or mix the pollen and pollinate all females, your choice. Be sure to use detailed notes if you do individual branches. ;)

Keep them healthy until harvest, it's not for smoking so no fade or flush is necessary. Keep them fed till harvest. :D