What's new

prepayment meter costs?

rocket high

Veteran
I think if you get caught growing and trying to fiddle the electricity, it's a lot more serious than just growing. It's one of those things that's likely to push you across the custody line. I think it's a really bad idea to start dicking around with your meter.

i agree its too dangerous to tamper with your meter ...and getting put in the nick for abstracting electricity.

i also agree with rocky .. i think its a scandal to rob the poor for easy profits because you cant afford to pay quarterly.

the woman at the pay point always looks at me funny when i go in to get £40 on my pre-payment key for a week's worth of electricity lol..

shafty420

i pay qaurterly read meters myself, don't let anyone in house unless there invited ran my 250w hps only added about £20 to my qaurterly bill was well chuffed lol

Andyo

Veteran
economy 7

economy 7

Do they not still have economy 7 where on a normal meter they have a lower rate over night .
I remember saving abot 150 quid on 4 kw using that option.A

rocket high

Veteran
when i started out i had a 250w and your right shafty it doesnt cost that much to run .. now i run 2x400w and a dehuey plus extractors and it costs a bomb ...£40 a week never mind the house hold costs ...

shafty420

really christ almighty spose have to weigh it up against what you get out of it
tryed looking around on uswitch etc see if can get cheaper rates?

BIGGS

Veteran
on my last grow i was using 4 x 600w lights(running 12/12), 1- 8 inch fan, 3- 6inch fans,1- air pump, 3- water pumps, and 3- oscilatting fans. only cost £35 per week. if you get your lecky and gas from the same company you will get a slight discount too.

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
Do they not still have economy 7 where on a normal meter they have a lower rate over night .

it's not called E7 anymore but most, or all, of the power companies/meters that i've come across recently have a cheaper kw/h rate at night. Eg. 14p/kw/hday-10p at night. Sometimes there is a separate nighttime meter-but for prepay you can find the times/rates by flicking through the menu wuth the little button.

RocketHigh-2 400s won't cost you $40/week.

I've shut down recently and the power that would have kept the grow going for less than 3days has lasted me (grow free) for more than 3weeks. It was getting silly.....the woman in the newsagents started saying, "Hello.......again."

Most of the stuff about power companies monitering our asses and working with the cops is propaganda to stop people from having a go. Same as with the helicopter. I'm not saying that they never work together-but if you are running smaller grows (3-4-5K) they are irrelavent and won't find you with those methods. I'm not speculating, i know this.
Controlling people with fear is far more efficient than, even, spying on them. It is v cost effective-no need for choppers or sophisticated computer programmes designed to trigger if someone leaves a hairdrier on. Just frighten them with a little misinformation.
How many people do you think have been deterred from growing by these urban myths? A. Lots and lots.

cheers guys
eddieS

rocket high

Veteran
hi eddie ....the reason why my costs are so high is because my full house is electic ..no gas at all, i dont use the storage heaters as there a waste of money so i use a 1200w fan heater every now and again to heat the room that im in ..also the shower is 2 kw so its 3 showers a week to keep the ££ down ...

oh i could use a generator but i live in a flat so im screwed for that ...

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
An extra lamp often cost less than a heater,, the lamp gives more heat than a heater per watt,, and extra lumens :D

Electric card meters and straight off the grid payments also run at different costs.

Soulfly1

Controlling people with fear is far more efficient than, even, spying on them.

I couldn't agree with this statement more, why do you think there is a camera on every street corner? its not to catch people on camera committing crimes, its to make people fear they will get caught. The statistics of crimes solved by cctv speak for themselves.

Even though I agree with you eddie, it still does not stop me being extremely hesitant from expanding my grow, having said that I can see a police station from my house so I can't be that put of, can i? :D

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
Even though I agree with you eddie, it still does not stop me being extremely hesitant from expanding my grow

i understand your caution, Soulfly, we all have to make an informed judgement on whether to grow and how big to go based on a balanced assessment of the risks v the benefits. Power usage is definatly a limiting factor if you are paying for it-

I can see a police station from my house
don't you feel comfortingly reassured being so close to a venerable institution of civic order?

it's the community coppers that i don't like-the kids around here follow them around on BMXs calling them names and kicking footballs at them-

but in all seriousness (as i'm sure you all know) it is no good going bigger than you are comfortable with as it often ends badly

cheers guys
eddieS

Latest posts

Latest posts