What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Predatory Insects That are Helpful?

xeno83

I am just curious, I see alot of thread with how to deal with different mites. Most have us useing different chemicals/pesticides. I am not for useing chemical pesticides on my plants. Now I know there are insects that can benefit a garden, mostly outdoors. But is there any kind of predatory insects that will deal with say spider miter or RA, that you could introduce into a garden to deal with your insects/mites that cause harm to your plants. Then use some kind of soap or neem oil to kill them off afterwards or just by hand picking them from the garden?
Just thowing a bone out there. If anyone has any ideas or insights.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes of course there are all kinds of natural predators to deal with pest. Now if you are talking about battling an existing infestation I think mostly you are out of luck. Predatory bugs in my experience are best used as a preventitive rather then a solution.

RootAphids- Use predatory nematodes

Mites- Ladybugs, predator mites, and many others can be used.

Fungus Gnats- BTI (bacteria)

Currently I release at least 10000+ lady bugs a month in my space, and in over a year I haven't seen any type of pest except fungus gnats from time to time. I think ladybugs are capable of eating like 5 adult mites per day or 10 eggs, something around there. Add 10000and you have one hell of an army waiting for that random mite to walk through the door. An infestation has no chance of grabbing hold as far as mites go, the mites would most likley be dealt with before I ever even knew they were there. No need to kill the ladybugs off after you are done, a good breeding population is best because the ladybug larvae do even more dmagae then the adults, they have a much bigger appetite.

I think you would have better results searching the internet for predator bugs for gardening, and then doing individual research on each option. To sit here and school you on every type of predator bug in existence and how and when to use them properly would take some time.

So yes they exist, some are more useful then others, some better to use at different times. Prevention is key to pest control, I keep all the nasty stuff on the shlef to be used responsibly when it is needed but with good prevention I shouldn't have to get it out to much. I am all for organic no pesticide type grows, but sometimes you have to use them and you shouldn't place such a stigma on them. Used appropiatley at the right time they are a useful tool, abuse them and thats when they can become a negative.

A quick search for "predatory insects for gardening" lead me to this. there are more then this but it is a simple search to get you started.
  • Spider - People are often repelled by these eight-legged creatures, but spiders are a friend to the garden. They eat more insects in the garden than birds.
  • Green Lacewing - Also called the "Aphid Lion", it's the green lacewing larva that eat 60 aphids per hour. They also eat other soft-bodied insects such as mites, mealybugs, spider mites, whiteflies, scale, and thrips. The adult lacewing is a pollinator.
  • Ladybug - Adult ladybugs will eat 5,000 aphids by the time they die. Other ladybug prey includes bean thrips, mites, chinch bugs, Colorado potato beetle, asparagus beetles.
  • Ladybug Larva - While these spiny little creatures aren't much to look at, they can eat 50-70 aphids per day. Have a prehistoric alligator look to them; black and orange - he has a bad guy appearance but gardeners can rest assured he's one of the good ones.
  • Hoverfly - Also called "Syrphid Flies" the larva also feeds on soft-bodied pest insects.
  • Praying Mantid - While mantids certainly eat garden pests, they aren't big consumers and sometimes grab a good guy or two in the process.
  • Minute Pirate Bug - These tiny predators control small caterpillars, aphids, mites, and thrips. They are especially handy in the greenhouse as they like high humidity.
  • Spined Soldier Bug - Potato beetles, tomato hornworms, cabbage worms end up getting "harpooned" by this predator.
  • Trichogramma Wasp - This wasp is one in a group of parasitic wasps that lay their eggs inside the larva of garden pests such as cabbage worms, cutworms, and borers.
  • Ground Beetles - You may not see them much in the day light hours as they tend to hide among the plant debris on the ground. But at night - they come out hungry!
  • Assassin Bug - These predators don't have much in the looks department but do have a voracious appetite for plant pest.

S

SeaMaiden

One thing to note about assassin bugs--they are not all created equal and if you start finding them in your home, especially around bedding or piles of clothing they may be kissing bugs. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I suggest also, especially for outdoor cultivation, to encourage hornets.

xeno83

Now what about the japanese, beetle, looks like a lady bug but they are orange, those have destroyed my roses in the past, any thoughts on them.

Lil Bear19601

One thing to note about assassin bugs--they are not all created equal and if you start finding them in your home, especially around bedding or piles of clothing they may be kissing bugs. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I suggest also, especially for outdoor cultivation, to encourage hornets.
Keep your hornets, I’ve had enough dealings with this preditor in the PNW. They tend to become very aggressive when there’s a ready food. Against man or beast either is acceptable targets. Impossible to even have a snack outside. No thankee

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Some companies will only fill orders in the natural growing season to supply them. They are seasonal for the insect seasons.

I'm new here but I use predominantly persimilis,hypoaspis,montdorensis, and californicus mites for pest control and they work wonders,I wash down plants with a 70/30 water isopropyl mix first then let dry and 3 days later I add 5he predator mites,haven't had to use any other chemicals since

Latest posts

Latest posts