What's new

Pre98 Bubba Kush & Katsu's Bubba Kush Comparison Thread

Snype

Veteran
That doesnt really look like bubba to me, the branches look too thin and spindly to be bubba, looks like maybe some bubba/og hybrid.

When I top my bubba it doesn't shoot out laterally, the next node under where I topped will generally correct it's posture and start growing in single cola dominance again. My bubba has very thick branches that grow stiff and close to the main meristem.

The way your buds grow along the stem remind me of OG, the way they are spread out and grow almost in a zig zag pattern, bubba buds grow fuller and longer along the stem.

I'll post more pictures in time. The plants look different depending what room they are in and what environmental conditions they are exposed to. The other room has bigger buds and I think the plants looks much different than the plant that I showed. I'll try and snap some pics soon.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
So you're just going to keep posting pics til someone tells you its bubba? There's 22 pages of pictures here and multiple people have said it doesnt look right, but if you want to keep going just to convince your self lol.

Bubba throws an occasional double serration along the leaf edges all of the pics you have showed I don't see the double serration.

Snype

Veteran
So you're just going to keep posting pics til someone tells you its bubba? There's 22 pages of pictures here and multiple people have said it doesnt look right, but if you want to keep going just to convince your self lol.

Bubba throws an occasional double serration along the leaf edges all of the pics you have showed I don't see the double serration.

No I'm not trying to convince myself but as others have stated, Bubba can change her appearance and terpene profile depending on environmental conditions. To know for sure we can't rush to judgement. You have to keep an open mind. It's not as simple as showing a few pictures. As I stated before, I have 2 Bubba's from the same MOM in 2 different rooms and they look like 2 different plants. Things in life take time. Not sure why you have an attitude. Go burn a joint and relax. Not sure why this is hard to comprehend. Multiple people said it doesn't look right and multiple people said it looks right.

You got any pics of the double serration or a link to a specific post?

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
No I'm not trying to convince myself but as others have stated, Bubba can change her appearance and terpene profile depending on environmental conditions.

Yes I agree with that as I have seen it in my own grows, but still nothing you have shown yet looks right. Yes it has some similar attributes but the dead give aways just aren't there. I would put money on it being a bubba hybrid all day, legit pre98 not so much.

I would say it's either peyote purple or some kind of bubba OG hybrid. I've grown bubba myself more times then I can even keep track of, never once have I seen it with such thin branches that so spread out with buds on the nodes like that.

Pre 98 holds true to the text book indica growth profile it grows like a snail and the stems usually grow really thick. I even had one I topped probably 100 times and veg'd for a year and it still didnt grow long lateral branches like that.

Snype

Veteran
Yes I agree with that as I have seen it in my own grows, but still nothing you have shown yet looks right. Yes it has some similar attributes but the dead give aways just aren't there. I would put money on it being a bubba hybrid all day, legit pre98 not so much.

I would say it's either peyote purple or some kind of bubba OG hybrid. I've grown bubba myself more times then I can even keep track of, never once have I seen it with such thin branches that so spread out with buds on the nodes like that.

Pre 98 holds true to the text book indica growth profile it grows like a snail and the stems usually grow really thick. I even had one I topped probably 100 times and veg'd for a year and it still didnt grow long lateral branches like that.
I really appreciate your comments. I'm definitely giving your comments a lot of weight with what you are saying. So I'm going to assume that this cut isn't Pre98 Bubba for 2 reasons. One being the guy who gave her to me threw a name around to someone else with a Chemdog strain. And 2, you and a few other reputable IC members saying it most likely isn't her. You know you are probably right. At no time in the grow did I get any hint of coffee or leather. I'm still going to keep a somewhat open mind but this probably isn't going to turn into Pre98. Thanks again for the words to try and figure this out.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I've got a pic of a well veg'd multi topped bubba on an old computer I'll try to post later. It shows how thick and stumpy it grows even with 2 main growth points. The branches usually grow so thick it becomes difficult to clone.

What ever you have is a nice plant, so I wouldn't be too disappointed.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've only seen PK go all purple like that Snype, but I don't grow the Bubba here as I find PK is much better for my needs.

The cutting we have in the uk I feel is the Katsu cut and it's different from yours. Your's is more PK than Bubba.

From what I can gather pre 98 Bubba was more of a colourful skunk with NL genetics.. This is what makes me feel its the Katsu cutting in th uk as the plants that blazeoneup has is the UK cutting.. Yours might be Pre 98..

It look cool.. I like it's style..

Snype

Veteran
The purple in those last pics were deceiving. There may be colors due to the camera filter and 45 degree F temps. Here's another shot of a plant that has been vegging under a CFL for 59 days. She was topped and some cuts taken as well that may be difficult to judge structure. She is a extremely slow vegger and is in a 1.5 Gallon pot. Natural Sunlight with no flash or filters:
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

HidingInTheHaze, can you tell with 100% certainty that these 5 pictures are not Pre98? If you can say for certain, I'm with you and I'll go throw this plant in the trash.

CCfromTCC

First pic is me standing behind a 7' bubba, u can almost see me.. money shot is of one of its bottom nugs-she did lil over a lb,

Last edited:

CCfromTCC

That was my pre98 bx4.. She was identical to 98 but vegged a lil quicker and more potent so i dropped the 98..sadly theyre both gone now, it truly does hurt- i love bubba.. I think i have some side by side shoys in my old gallery if u wanna look

HidingintheHaze has a good point and now with this last set of pics I have to agree you got a hybrid. She does take on different looks but that thin stock is not one. She's big boned no twig action, nice catch Haze!

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
The purple in those last pics were deceiving. There may be colors due to the camera filter and 45 degree F temps. Here's another shot of a plant that has been vegging under a CFL for 59 days. She was topped and some cuts taken as well that may be difficult to judge structure. She is a extremely slow vegger and is in a 1.5 Gallon pot. Natural Sunlight with no flash or filters:
View Image View Image View Image View Image View Image

HidingInTheHaze, can you tell with 100% certainty that these 5 pictures are not Pre98? If you can say for certain, I'm with you and I'll go throw this plant in the trash.

Way too thin and stretchy. Bubba is a stump.

Snype

Veteran
Way too thin and stretchy. Bubba is a stump.
Fuck! There's one last option that this cut may be. This could possibly by Kyle Kushmans cut PK that he said blows the Bubba away. That's the last thing that I could hope for now. This cut went through 2 people's hands to get to me. The first guys hands got the Illuminati from KK's people so it may be possible that this also came from those people as well. I'll know in a couple weeks when I meet with them. Thanks for the help! I know I don't have Pre98 now.

JointOperation

That looks pretty purple to be bubba. It also looks kind of leafy, my pre98 cut has a high calyx to leaf ratio, no coffee smells either but not speermint or winter green either, it kind of smell like old antique furniture. I've run shit loads of bubba, some even veg'd up to a year and it never really branches out too much even when topped many times it grows very tight with a central cola dominance.

View Image

View Image

deff not a real bubba.. sorry the purple is off.. and it doesnt branch out like that AT ALL.. the pictures of the plant a few back looks identical to the pre98 me and all the dudes i know have.. and the dude i got it from.. got it from a REALLY LEGIT source..

looks like that ^^^

and this https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=1032&pictureid=9924

Snype

Veteran
All that I can say is that the purple that came up in my picture is not the same as what you are seeing. When I look at Relentless's pictures of his Pre98, it's the same color purple. The whole plant turned purple because it was at 45 degrees F which I'm sure non of you guys ever go so low. In a couple hours I'll go look at the other Bubba in the other room and see if I can snap some pics. Maybe it'll look different to you guys.

Cool Moe

Veteran
Hey Snype,

Here's a pic of one of Verdant's pre98 s1s that was outdoors in the South Florida winter. Light deprived and not ideal conditions. This was at about 3 weeks:
picture.php

Then almost finished after a few cold snaps:
picture.php

Last edited:

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a shame that Pre 98 Bubba has such a legend yet there is nobody with a thread 100% officially growing her out.. Seems to me like Pre 98 it's not gonna be all that as I would expect it to be documented like Cheese or NL or another legend.

Who's got a legit bubba from either the kushman or one from before the internet days that we can call the standard..

I say best to have the buds sampled by a lab then keep the cutting around and wait for somebody to chime in that has also tested their clone to compare the stats in the test and ascertain weather they are different or same

Cool Moe

Veteran
I hear ya Dave, I'd love a brand-new '55 Chevy Bel-Air too, but they don't make em anymore. And man you gotta look really hard to find one in perfect mint condition that hasn't had some alterations or replacement parts added along the way. Sure wish I could just hop into a hot-tub time machine and grab one of those legendary Cheese or NL cuts though. Wouldn't that be the Queen's teets?

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
It's a shame that Pre 98 Bubba has such a legend yet there is nobody with a thread 100% officially growing her out.. Seems to me like Pre 98 it's not gonna be all that as I would expect it to be documented like Cheese or NL or another legend.

I think it's because it's an old cut that not many people hold these days.

I like it myself, I think it's a solid indica that doesn't seem to have the mold issues a lot of other plants like it have.

Latest posts

Latest posts