What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pre Washing Coco Matting

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
if you added that stuff along with perlite to your soil ,
youd reduce the amount of water needed ,
add good aeration and make your soil more friable ,
and you wouldnt have to grow in pots at all during the hot dry times ,

(it doesnt take much water to wet a small area of soil and keep it moist)

even those big wire type pots you ve made with soil in them and those ingredients mixed in ,
along with some burlap around the pots (inside and outside them), would be perfect no matter how hot it got , certainly better than small plastic pots ,

a bit of hay mulch on top would do a treat and keep the temps down ...

coco choir and perlite are great additives and quite cheap ...

id be a bit worried about plants getting too large for small pots and then need too much water and run out of nutrients ,
thats what i reckon happened with that giant mango haze you grew a few years back ,
large plants need big pots or the freedom of no pot to seek out water and nutrients etc ,
they dont like restriction and if it happens you end up with a poor product at the end ..

T

Teddybrae

Wally, each of those 1000L pots is a worm farm. The soil in the pots has an amazing texture or tilth. I can't imagine anything would improve it.

My thought growing in pots is that I do not have to put lots of effort into working up my exceedingly poor soil. (The good stuff is far from my house.) The work. The need for muscle. I haven't got it any more. For me it's Puff, Puff, Sit down.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
just a few additives and some worms with mulch on top and let those little guys do the work for you teddy ,
thats what they are for , great at improving soil while u simply sit back and watch ,

the advantage of growing in the ground in a spot you have initially amended ,
its real easy to continue to improve the soil continually , by as previously stated just letting the worms do it for you and feed them a little , keep the area moist ,
your soil will get better and better ....

always gonna beat growing in a pot where there are many limitations ....

ive done this many times and i can assure you it works like a dream with very little muscle needed ...

Rico Swazi

Wally, each of those 1000L pots is a worm farm. The soil in the pots has an amazing texture or tilth. I can't imagine anything would improve it.

My thought growing in pots is that I do not have to put lots of effort into working up my exceedingly poor soil. (The good stuff is far from my house.) The work. The need for muscle. I haven't got it any more. For me it's Puff, Puff, Sit down.

Hows the matting working out for ya mate? Making life any easier?
Hope all is well as can be with you and yours in crazy days such as these.

When you say the good stuff, would that be the termite hill soil ?

By now you must have a good bit of shade from the Mango Haze I reckon ... post a pic or two when you feel up to it

T

Teddybrae

OK Rico

OK Rico

Here's some current pics: The large plant is King Gee (high CBD).

picture.php

Mango Haze

picture.php

Mango Haze

picture.php

Mango Haze/Sour Diesel Cross on left. M H on the right.

picture.php

Rico, the 'good soil' I mentioned is red basalt. I have mostly this but my home and gardens are on the bed of an ancient river that flowed off/thru Granite country. So where I live is grey not red. I can get irrigation water to the grey soil but the red is too far away.

We've been lucky with rain receiving over 200mm (8 inches). There is more predicted soon. Two of my sons are out here mowing! Which is a big change from a couple of weeks ago.

You'll see from the photos that the matting is working very well!

Bye for now ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
gee they are pumping along teddy ,
i hope they dont run out of food before they begin to bud ,
make sure you keep the health up to them if they are in smaller pots than the cage around them ,,

do you have plans to prop them up?? , , in flower they will get heavy and if helped they produce larger and more flowers ...

Rico Swazi

Looking great Teddy, glad to hear the matting is working the way you anticipated. Looks a nice sheltered spot to grow with plenty sun.

Also curious if you will be caging or propping those trees up ?

good vibes for you to bring it all home
you are gonna be tired come harvest time but the good tired right? :biggrin:

T

Teddybrae

Wally stop worrying! I really don't give a fuck what happens to the plants. They may or they may not. Let's just wait and see ...

Rico that big plant is a pain. I never expected what I see today. Just planted it to see what the strain is like.

It's very green dontcha think? So there's still lotsa food in the soil. I 'm also foliar spraying Ca+Mg+B ... mild Nitrogen+fulvic+kelp+phosphate ... alternating weekly plus high K kelp. The big plant has the golden glow at its tips. I think it's ok but I don't really care.

Hope I harvest a Mango Haze, though. Can't imagine life without my 3/4 gramme of Mango every day.

Ooroo ...

Rico Swazi

That Mango Haze sounds a treat and gonna have to give it a go. Jack Herer is my everyday smoke and always looking for something of the kind

Not fond of big plants either mate, as you say, they are a pain. I would rather grow a few smaller plants than fight with some untameable giant like that volunteer of mine last year. That and the fact I don't feed mine helps me keep them small and tight.

Very green! done spraying right? any troubles with the matting ?

Pics would be great when you get the time mate:tiphat:

T

Teddybrae

Rico ... thanks for bumping the thread. Unfortunately my camera has just given up the ghost. And there's Covid19 in the city where I could buy a new camera. So ... might just stay out in the bush for a couple of weeks ... altho the TV is saying 6 months!!!

No trouble with the matting. It's not ideal as an evaporation barrier but it still keeps the soil cool. I get a better, more even watering if I remove the matting which tends to let the water thru in some places better than others.

We are experiencing a butterfly explosion. Very beautiful. Unfortunately I am finding their eggs on my plants so will have to do a preventative spray. Already sprayed twice for grasshoppers.

Jack Herer eh? Had an auto=Jack Herer/Take 5. Gave an edible sample to a friend who has a form of cancer and who uses my Mango Haze for sleep each night ... and she vomitted everywhere. Tried again and vomitted again. So must be strong stuff, that J Herer.

So Ooroo! I 've got to go and sharpen a chainsaw ...