What's new

powdered dolomite lime woes

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
The pellets work fine, even though you'll have people PMing you telling you I am wrong. Results speak for themselves. Good luck!

grapeman

Veteran
Cool Moe

That's a nice product! It contains Dolomite Lime as well as Limestone. It's too bad that product isn't sold in the Pacific Northwest where acid soils are a given.

CC_2U

So CC - do you use native soil or a peat base?

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I use Lilly Miller Super Sweet, its prilled and it works just fine . One thing prilling does, is that it allows the lime to be ground finer than just powdered. I met the fellow that owned the prilling factory in Washington state that did all the prilling for Lilly Miller and a bunch of others. I learned more about lime and how prilling works than I knew I wanted to. He talked my ear off. I worked in a garden canter then and you can't just walk away.
:smoweed:

mad librettist

Veteran
just be aware if you are recycling your peat mix that you are adding clay when you add the lime. You want to keep tabs on how much total clay is in your containers mixes.

echo_chamber

The lime pellets are slow release. Powdered is quick release, pulverized is magic :)
Use pelletized lime if you cant find anything else, you'll see much better performance with powdered lime..

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I am very curious now... what are the markers of much better performance that you have seen, echo chamber?

I think it is time for a side by side using clones to settle this. The one time I used pellets myself I had poor results but it was also my first time ever using organics so who knows.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I've never done a side-by-side because I've never been able to find powdered locally, but I'll say it again: my results speak for themselves and my plants have stood up against other people's plants for quite some time now.

I think a side-by-side is a wonderful idea. One of the doubters should be the one to dedicate a portion of their garden to the experiment. :)

Z

zen_trikester

Epsoma garden lime works great for me. If you take some and put it into water it instantly goes to a fine powder. Just swish the water and it is enough to break it down! No need to grind it or mortar it or anything. Measure out the dry pellets and put in your soil and then mix & cook as you would. It works fine as it is. It is cheap and easy to find. 2 years I have been using this in my amended soil with success.

I think the whole PH issue scare is a go too answer for many problems that are unrelated to PH. Best thing you can do when starting organics is put the ph meter away IMHO.

My $.02