What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potent Indica makes you sleepy.

hamstring

Veteran
I generally don't make threads regarding things that are based completely off personal interpretation/experience.

I have read hundreds if not thousands of posts and threads regarding a good indica high helping them sleep. In fact it seems some smokers use it every night to help them sleep.

I have been smoking, almost exclusively, indicas or indica hybrids for 30 years and I have a completely different experience. Understanding that many drugs react in conjunction to a persons body chemistry I will give a an idea of mine.

Everyone tells me I am a ADD kind of guy. I truly don't see it, but sometimes you are the last person to notice your idiosyncrasies , weird.

When I used to drink I would a order a different brand of beer each time. Bartenders hated that and would express their displeasure with me sometimes. I enjoy meeting new people and hearing about their lives. I always try to focus the first few conversations with a person on their life, paying close attention and asking in depth, really in depth, questions about them. Not about me, I already know who I am, thats boring, I want to know about you. My friends are sometimes taken aback by the questions I ask people I meet. Sort of like ADD right.

When I smoke indica I get energy, not sleepy. No way in hell am I going to sleep. If I do go to bed while high we are looking at 2 hours before I fall to sleep.

On the other hand it does help put my brain in a calm, relaxed state, but not my body its energized. I love and have loved weed because it helps me be introspective. There is nothing better for me then to smoke a doobie on Friday night and my mind just expands opens up to new ideas. My problem solving ability completely changes. I am not saying I don't have equal problem solving capabilities when I am sober just that I now I see other paths to the solution.
Weed has been great for my marriage too. If I got into a argument with my wife and I really feel like I am in the right, and many times I am. After smoking weed I am able to see the larger picture instead of the moment. I have been married 23 years and been with my wife over 25 yrs. I have millions of experiences with her. All of this has to be taken into perspective and weed helps me do that.

Again the one thing indica doesn't do is make me tired and I cant even wrap my mind around going to sleep after a good smoke secession . WHAT!! are you talking about???

I know there must be others like me?

Last edited:

Rgd

Veteran
The late Vic High posted once when I asked him
what he thought the most potent indica was

He said “hands down Chemo wins in blind smoke tests..but I don’t smoke it much because I would b asleep before I finished the joint”

I find coffee after lunch does that

hamstring

Veteran
The late Vic High posted once when I asked him
what he thought the most potent indica was

He said “hands down Chemo wins in blind smoke tests..but I don’t smoke it much because I would b asleep before I finished the joint”

I find coffee after lunch does that
Exactly , its a body chemistry thing. I drink coffee everyday and have no with drawl symptoms if I dont drink it.
My wife gets a huge headache without coffee. Similar to you I can drink coffee at night and it does not effect my sleep.

Does Indica give you energy?

hamstring

Veteran
In Hawai'i we mostly have hybrid varieties, nearly nothing pure Sativa(pure indica will rot out before they can finish). But I often look for that potent stuff that puts most people into a couch lock. I'm often busy bodied, farming... many indica joints throughout the daze.
I think you are saying you choose indica as a relaxing agent for your "busy body" chemistry.

Does it relax body and mind or just mind?

sublingual

I know there must be others like me?
Not me. Indicas are very calming, yes; but also energetic. I can agree with that indica gives energy. Would you say "introspective energy?" I try to do introspection when I'm straight and the thoughts aren't racing like on (some) Cannabis.
Pakalolo in Hawaiian means: "causes the mind to work." Many folks think it means, crazy weed; but that is not the case even though the Hawaiian dictionaries render it that way. My Hawaiian girlfriend's Kahuna instructed correctly: "loka" means "crazy," while "lolo" speaks of activity. If they were going to name it crazy weed, they would have termed it "pakaloka," instead, the described it as "causing the mind to work," Pakalolo.
My question to you is: how do you fare with sativas? Do you like them? how is the introspection on those? I don't have much introspection with sativas, instead, it's like drinking a quart of strong coffee.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Cocaine puts me to sleep. I know, but it does, just that warm glow feeling, I just want to curl up somewhere. I was never a regular user, I didn't see the point.
The first couple of joints of each day are to get out of bed, then I keep an even stone throughout, hopefully. At night I hit it harder to sleep. But if I don't smoke at all, I'm shattered all day, right up until bedtime, then I'm wide awake.
Let's be honest, if we choose to keep ourselves medicated, we are already wired a bit wrong. And each of our "wrongs" will be a little different. We can't expect everything to affect us all in exactly the same way.

Not me. Indicas are very calming, yes; but also energetic. I can agree with that indica gives energy. Would you say "introspective energy?" I try to do introspection when I'm straight and the thoughts aren't racing like on (some) Cannabis.
Pakalolo in Hawaiian means: "causes the mind to work." Many folks think it means, crazy weed; but that is not the case even though the Hawaiian dictionaries render it that way. My Hawaiian girlfriend's Kahuna instructed correctly: "loka" means "crazy," while "lolo" speaks of activity. If they were going to name it crazy weed, they would have termed it "pakaloka," instead, the described it as "causing the mind to work," Pakalolo.
My question to you is: how do you fare with sativas? Do you like them? how is the introspection on those? I don't have much introspection with sativas, instead, it's like drinking a quart of strong coffee.

It roughly translates to 'crazy weed, crazy smoke'

hamstring

Veteran
I have a feeling we may be brothers from another mother in our body chemistry.

I have been a guerrilla grower in the midwest US for 90% of my growing career. I have been growing legally now for 3.5 yrs. I never grew anything but from seed and shorter term indicas.

I still haven't grown a real hard hitting sativa. My one experience was guerrilla growing a strain called KO Kush, from Sannie Seeds I believe. Some phenos were like smoking speed. I did not like it but I know their are some in-between strains, some of the haze varieties. I'm sure you know your way around them brother.

sublingual

I have a feeling we may be brothers from another mother in our body chemistry.

I have been a guerrilla grower in the midwest US for 90% of my growing career. I have been growing legally now for 3.5 yrs. I never grew anything but from seed and shorter term indicas.

I still haven't grown a real hard hitting sativa. My one experience was guerrilla growing a strain called KO Kush, from Sannie Seeds I believe. Some phenos were like smoking speed. I did not like it but I know their are some in-between strains, some of the haze varieties. I'm sure you know your way around them brother.
Sativas are like when I drink too much coffee and just wait for it to pass while I do menial things. Afterwards, it too, like Indica is energetic with the deep relaxation phase kicking in later. I do sativa edibles and am well-relaxed by evening.
I do know my way around sativas and it works for me. I do want to further explore Cannabis Indica but, every time I do buy some at a dispensary, I always somehow rather wish I had my Hazes or Pan/Mal. I recently grew some clones (Apple Fritter, Mac1) that were 50% sativa but they looked indica to me when I grew them. I dusted these with a really sativa Haze pheno of Super Malawi Haze, I have yet to see the outcome, but I await with bated breath.
Keep on growing, my brother.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Are you looking for sedation?

CBN is the answer.

Edibles high in CBN are the best way I have found to sleep well.

After the normal decarboxylation, continue your heat for a bit longer (double the timing will do) and then you should be in possession of sedative medication.

Mark it legibly ;)

hamstring

Veteran
I have made green dragon many many times and it can send you to the moon thats for sure. The store bought gummy's cant compare to some home made tincture.

I am not looking for any particular type of high just wondering why most people seem to be made sleepy by indica based strains? I find it interesting more people don't feel energized by indicas.

I really appreciate all the input, nice to hear peoples experiences.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Oh.

If that's all you were after....

Sativas aren't cocaine and indicas aren't chloroform.

If you want to get past subtle differences you may have problems doing so.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I found some sativas to be sleepy too... just differently than indica hybrids... but yeah sleepy. and strong malawi just floors me down for few minutes, after that it is okay and I can be functional. colombian dom hazes make me relaxed and I can sit on it and dreaming, and when I sit and I day dream, it is easy to fall into some slumber, especially at hot weather. on some sativas I cant sit, I sit and suddenly I jump and go somewhere I dont know where... have to do something or will get unpleasant feeling quickly.

I can be functional on og kush if I dont smoke big fat joint... hash of it is much better for me. but it is not indica. it contains some sativa. overall very little of people smoke true pure indica, mostly they smoke indica hybrids.

but for example after smoking uk cheese, like 20 minutes after it I just want to lay down, makes me crazy sleepy and deep snoring LOL

also lavender terps make me sleepy, it doenst matter if it is indica or sativa.

I always drank coffee when smoking indicas for obvious reason and I see a lot of people do it like that.

after I started to smoke sativa, I stopped drinking it, no need for it. my problem with indicas is that I feel it in legs and it relaxes my muscles too much, and it is making my moves too slow, heavy and I am lazy as fuck then... dont do much... it is very boring for me. no fun and no funk... but it is true, that I remember that after smoking glue, which I assume as heavy smoke, I was doing some cardio exercises without any problem, if it is needed I can overcome heavy relaxed effect of such variety.

I have friend who can drink strong coffee before sleep without any problem. that is not my case LOL he is what I call cold guy, his heart is cold. he is overall calmer in character than me... I am much more impulsive...

I sleep pretty well after smoking sativas, but not right after it LOL but like 4/5 hours after it...

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
I found some sativas to be sleepy too... just differently than indica hybrids... but yeah sleepy. and strong malawi just floors me down for few minutes, after that it is okay and I can be functional. colombian dom hazes make me relaxed and I can sit on it and dreaming, and when I sit and I day dream, it is easy to fall into some slumber, especially at hot weather. on some sativas I cant sit, I sit and suddenly I jump and go somewhere I dont know where... have to do something or will get unpleasant feeling quickly.

I can be functional on og kush if I dont smoke big fat joint... hash of it is much better for me. but it is not indica. it contains some sativa. overall very little of people smoke true pure indica, mostly they smoke indica hybrids.

but for example after smoking uk cheese, like 20 minutes after it I just want to lay down, makes me crazy sleepy and deep snoring LOL

also lavender terps make me sleepy, it doenst matter if it is indica or sativa.

I always drank coffee when smoking indicas for obvious reason and I see a lot of people do it like that.

after I started to smoke sativa, I stopped drinking it, no need for it. my problem with indicas is that I feel it in legs and it relaxes my muscles too much, and it is making my moves too slow, heavy and I am lazy as fuck then... dont do much... it is very boring for me. no fun and no funk... but it is true, that I remember that after smoking glue, which I assume as heavy smoke, I was doing some cardio exercises without any problem, if it is needed I can overcome heavy relaxed effect of such variety.

I have friend who can drink strong coffee before sleep without any problem. that is not my case LOL he is what I call cold guy, his heart is cold. he is overall calmer in character than me... I am much more impulsive...

I sleep pretty well after smoking sativas, but not right after it LOL but like 4/5 hours after it...
MAHA
Awesome reply, I appreciate you taking the time to get in depth, loved it.

I have been looking into some sativias and I follow some of your gear brother. Your description of malawi surprised me because I have seen others comment on the power of it. I am going to have to look a littlle closer at a colombian dom haze or other sativias.