What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potency, what is considered potent weed today?

CharlesU Farley

It's kind of interesting that the discussion went towards fondly remembering tastes and smells. Interesting because that plays nicely into what I meant when I said potency and quality were subjective. I know quite a few stoners that place a lot of value on taste and smell, myself included. Such that they might pass on a strain that from a THC content was considered very potent, in favor of a strain that scratched that smell or taste itch. Smell and taste play a big part in one's enjoyment of what they're smoking. From a scientific perspective it's difficult to make the case that smell or taste has anything to do with potency or quality. Yet what good is a strain that lays you out with one or two hits but tastes or smells terrible. I forget what the strains were that I was growing at the time but I remember one crop I had (I usually grow multiplle strains for variety) where 3 out of 4 were definitely more potennt but none o the 3 were remarkably pleasent in terms of smell. The forth one though which was the least potent or strong of the crop compared to the other 3 had an incredible tast and smell that I loved, such that i smoked up all of that strain well before i finished any of the others because i loved the taste and smell so much. Also even though I know from a logical point of view that smell and taste doesn't really affect potency much if at all, it somehow adds a dimension to the experience that makes the high seem more enjoyable.

The other thing i was thinking of when i said potency or quality is subjective (and perhaps a better term would be perspective) id what your experiences are when smoking. I remember the first time i ever got stoned it was off of some decent columbian strain i got ahold of back in the 70's. It was definitely considered primo weed back in thhe day but compared to what's out there now the THC levels were probably about half or maybe even a third of what people call potent these days. Yet despite the THC levels somehow I've yet to find anything since then that comes even close to how good the high of that columian was back then. Undoubtedly a lot of that is due to a certain amount of romanticism I've attached to that strain since it was my first time of being truly stoned.
This is how I would usually respond, thank you for saving me the time!

Can't believe I bumped into _two_ people in one thread who feel like I do and that I actually agree with.

One says it like I do, one says it like I wish I could. :ROFLMAO:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Hey man arb says hello haven't seen you since pg went down hope you're doing well.
Stop in the ol farts thread and say hi if you wanna.
😆
Damn, I'm out of touch with the scene these days, I mean I stopped going to PG a long time ago but I didn't know it went down. I'm not surprised though, the reason I left was that it felt like the site had just gotten way too confrontational with almost everyone attacking each other over stupid stuff. Still it kind of makes me sad to hear it's gone because despite eeverything else it was a fairly active community. Say hi back to arb for me.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
This is how I would usually respond, thank you for saving me the time!

Can't believe I bumped into _two_ people in one thread who feel like I do and that I actually agree with.

One says it like I do, one says it like I wish I could. :ROFLMAO:
No problem, I refuse to give into the pressure to say things in short concise posts. I grew up in the time before small screens and limitations on how many characters one could have in a post. :biggrin:

Besides, since I've been this way all along, it doesn't really take that much time in my opinion, to type out or read a longer then average post.

Last edited:

gaslit_kush_co

It's kind of interesting that the discussion went towards fondly remembering tastes and smells. Interesting because that plays nicely into what I meant when I said potency and quality were subjective. I know quite a few stoners that place a lot of value on taste and smell, myself included. Such that they might pass on a strain that from a THC content was considered very potent, in favor of a strain that scratched that smell or taste itch. Smell and taste play a big part in one's enjoyment of what they're smoking. From a scientific perspective it's difficult to make the case that smell or taste has anything to do with potency or quality. Yet what good is a strain that lays you out with one or two hits but tastes or smells terrible. I forget what the strains were that I was growing at the time but I remember one crop I had (I usually grow multiplle strains for variety) where 3 out of 4 were definitely more potennt but none o the 3 were remarkably pleasent in terms of smell. The forth one though which was the least potent or strong of the crop compared to the other 3 had an incredible tast and smell that I loved, such that i smoked up all of that strain well before i finished any of the others because i loved the taste and smell so much. Also even though I know from a logical point of view that smell and taste doesn't really affect potency much if at all, it somehow adds a dimension to the experience that makes the high seem more enjoyable.

The other thing i was thinking of when i said potency or quality is subjective (and perhaps a better term would be perspective) id what your experiences are when smoking. I remember the first time i ever got stoned it was off of some decent columbian strain i got ahold of back in the 70's. It was definitely considered primo weed back in thhe day but compared to what's out there now the THC levels were probably about half or maybe even a third of what people call potent these days. Yet despite the THC levels somehow I've yet to find anything since then that comes even close to how good the high of that columian was back then. Undoubtedly a lot of that is due to a certain amount of romanticism I've attached to that strain since it was my first time of being truly stoned.
You fucking talk too much

Baba Karuna

🙏 Thanks for sharing
I smoked charas from Manali and Nepal for more than 20 years, 1 tola didnt last more than 7-10 days. I love this stuff, exactly as you describe it

What you explain about the kingdom is very interesting, it deserves its own thread
There are more countries with similar laws in this planet

What you explain about the people called witches is no less interesting
Have you seen these plants grow in the kingdom?
Egyptian henbane should grow freely in the kingdom, it is probably what the witches use to get into trance, it is what the desert mysticians use on the other side of the Red Sea coast

There were a few Henbane varieties growing in the deserts as well as African Rue. I am sure they use many different plants and combinations of substances to achieve their ecstatic states. Even cobra and scorpion venoms can be used if prepared correctly 🙏🏼

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
What is considered potent weed today? Well.. from what I've run or can think of, recently some skunk killer from strayfox.. after a decent cure it hits like a freight train. Crack weed that was around in the late 90's upstate NY. Both 2 hitter quitters I posted smoke reports on them I believe but theyre not commercial plants. Low yields and probably best for cancer patients I'd imagine or anyone with terminal illness who need heavy stuff. Skywalker OG is easy to find though and grow.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Novak,1980

IMG_20240414_231111.jpg