What's new

Potbound problems

Useridentity

Hello!

I have some problems with one of my plants in the closet..
The roots are starting to grow through under the pot!
I dont really have space for a bigger pot, the on I use now is 10 L and the strain is special queen #1 from RQS.
Last year I was using even smaller pots without procent this problem.

Best regards 👍

Greaselightning

Hello!

I have some problems with one of my plants in the closet..
The roots are starting to grow through under the pot!
I dont really have space for a bigger pot, the on I use now is 10 L and the strain is special queen #1 from RQS.
Last year I was using even smaller pots without procent this problem.

Best regards 👍
fill another ten litre up half way place the one with the plant in onit, roots grow through the bottom drainage holes root the new pot just height required.

revegeta666

That's not such a big problem. Either put it on a second pot like @Greaselightning said, or just prune them with your hand (with a plastic glove on).

It's usual for plants to get rootbound inside their final pot. If the problem is the roots are going through literally, then it's most likely because you leave water in the tray after you water them. If there's water remaining on the tray, the roots will go through because they are looking for sources of humidity.

revegeta666

Ah good idea! I will try that, maybe make some extra holes carefully?
Why? You don't need to really- Making new holes you could potentially do some damage to the rootball, if it's very rootbound. The only problem I could see having the roots go through, is for them to get some kind of infection by being exposed. Otherwise as long as the plant looks good it's not a big deal to let it get rootbound imo. I assume they are in flower? If so, I wouldn't do anything except to make sure the roots are not hanging out of the pot, for hygiene reasons. If yhey are in veg, then I would either transplant, or put it on another pot as said earlier.

Can you please upload a pic of the roots? Are they nice and white? Or brownish?

Useridentity

Why? You don't need to really- Making new holes you could potentially do some damage to the rootball, if it's very rootbound. The only problem I could see having the roots go through, is for them to get some kind of infection by being exposed. Otherwise as long as the plant looks good it's not a big deal to let it get rootbound imo. I assume they are in flower? If so, I wouldn't do anything except to make sure the roots are not hanging out of the pot, for hygiene reasons. If yhey are in veg, then I would either transplant, or put it on another pot as said earlier.

Can you please upload a pic of the roots? Are they nice and white? Or brownish?
Dont know why, it was a question 👍
They are not in flower yet.. Maybe in a couple of days.
I can take a pic later.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

revegeta666

Dont know why, it was a question 👍
They are not in flower yet.. Maybe in a couple of days.
I can take a pic later.

Thanks for the help!
If they are not in flower give them a transplant a few days before you switch and they will thank you. It will make a notable difference in the performance from being rootbound yo have fresh soil to colonize

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Hold on everybody!
at what stage is your plant?
because if you are not flowering yet, you can do some root pruning!
that involves studying for 15 minutes, getting dirty for 10 minutes and repotting your plant into your 10L with less roots. it will need a week to recover, but the root training helps managing both size and root expansion. the plus side is that your plant will grow more aerially (meaning the green part).

I hate zamnesia, but they were the first link on my Guuble search https://www.zamnesia.com/grow-weed/528-increase-cannabis-yields-with-root-pruning

Useridentity

Here is the picture!
Just bought a new pot in the same size and put soil in it as @Greaselightning told me.
A little bit afraid to cut any roots.
Hopefully this will be good 👍

Attachments

• IMG_8811.jpeg
    IMG_8811.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Latest posts