What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potassium or magnesium deficiency?

Elf777

This might seem like light stress, but I raised my light and it is still happening. I have been investigating about potassium and magnesium deficiency and they look similar, which one do you think it is?
315W CMH, temps 20-22Cº, PH 6.2-6.8, feeding as biobizz chart says, light is about at 60 cm distance, bio bizz light mix soil, humidity 60%.

7.jpg
5.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Veritas629

My plants currently look very similar to yours. I tried epsom salts thinking it was low magnesium. That didn't work. Then I tried coconut water (30ml coconut to 1L water) and they are turning around. So I think my problem was low potassium. Looks like you're in soil or coco, give coconut water a try (15-50ml/L). It has magnesium too, so might work either way...

Pineboy212

I was saying flushing with a lower ph’d solution would literally reset the the feed or He just doesn’t know what ppm range he should b n
That’s a little obvious 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you begin with water with a 3:1 cal-mag and no impurities you will not have a calcium-magnesium problem. Anything else in the starting water can interfere with the uptake of other nutrients and look like something is missing when it's not. Fortified water and complete fertilization will not have a deficiency. 😎

Three Berries

I have an Ocean Forest grow with an auto and at about 8 weeks it ran out of nutes. But the first sign was the yellowing leaf tips, then yellowing in general. The yellowing looks to be calcium. It's in full flower now an is eating the stuff up. This is with some limestone added to the soil originally.

I water with 50/50 well/rain that's about 230-300 ppm Ca/Mg 90/10. Other than that jsut a couple extra topical applications of 1300 ppm CaCl.

Are the newer stems strong or are they easily crushed? After adding calcium my stems went from hollow and easily crushed to much firmer.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
This might seem like light stress, but I raised my light and it is still happening. I have been investigating about potassium and magnesium deficiency and they look similar, which one do you think it is?
315W CMH, temps 20-22Cº, PH 6.2-6.8, feeding as biobizz chart says, light is about at 60 cm distance, bio bizz light mix soil, humidity 60%.

View attachment 18782540 View attachment 18782538 View attachment 18782536 View attachment 18782537 View attachment 18782535 View attachment 18782541
That's magnesium deficiency/lockout.

- Deep green to blueishy leaves.
- The yellow edges and burnt tips.
- The thickness of the leaves.

Biobizz light mix. The pH is too low. I always mix in 2 tablespoons per gallon of magnesium lime, which takes care of both the magnesium demand and the low pH. And adds lots of calcium.

How I would used any light mix.

I only use light mix for mixing supersoils (1/3 each of washed perlite, worm castings and light mix, with a tablespoon per gallon of mangesium lime as the base mix;
then take half or 2/3 and mix in 2 tablespoons per gallon of bloodmeal (N), bonemeal (P), woodash (K), seaweed (Micros), lavameal/basaltmeal (Micros) - and add 20% perlite by volume to the hot mix;
add a drainage layer of washed lavarocks or growrocks).

Because of all the leaves, you should also check for mites and mildew.

GoneGoose

If you have to use a lot of acid to lower the pH of your water then that may be the problem. 😎
Good Advice. These pics look just like my plants. I am using a lot of acid to lower PH of water I am having to work with. Any more suggestions would be good. GoneGoose

GoneGoose

I am using GH Cal-Magic with a different water source that requires less acid to lower Ph. I am at 6.25. It seems to be working but it is not quick.

[Maschinenhaus]

Alternative Soil mixture for BioBizz Light Mix - 20 liters (by Prof. Dr. Zweed)

+ 10 liters of worm humus
+ 15g Mycorrhiza Soluble
+ 20g brown algae
+ 20g mixture Trichoderma strains, Bacillus subtilis, humic acids and algae extract - like BioHealth WSG TH BS
+ 20g Fulvic acid like Fulvital Plus WSP
+ 300g activated plant carbon
+ 80g primary rock flour
+ 80g GuanoBat
+ 5 hands full of lava granules or pumice

Then you do not have to buy expensive fertilizer bottles according to the BioBizz scheme. It is also best not to buy BioBizz soil but a peat-free alternative without perlite from the hardware store.

Source:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts