What's new

pot city usa

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Don't we already have a thread on this? http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=140728

I've bought hash in the arcata town square and gear from one of the hydro shops they showed though. Other than that the whole thing pissed me off.

"My neighbor's meter is spinning really fast! Oh the horrors! Evil evil growers!"

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
still tender enough to be affected by the bullshit they spewed on that show. wish I never saw it. peace and smoke.

B

BioMechanical

I couldn't believe it when I saw that they had tore the floor up :noway:

Hard to sue them if you can't find them either.

But if the problem is that well known as they portrayed it to be, the homeowners were dumb for not doing inspections.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
The sad part though is I'm sure they are right about people not being as friendly and kids not running around like they used to. My Grandmother lives in Fort Bragg in Mendocino County and over the last 6 years has noticed the increase in people my age between 20-30 and it's obvious they are into cannabis they all look like hippies ect. Some are nice but a lot are homeless beggers and I've seen this with my own eyes when I go up there. Never been to Humboldt or Arcata but I've been all over Willits and that area and it has gotten worse I mean shit used to be like 5 years ago me and my boy would go to the "farm" which was a legal outdoor grow and our dude up there knew all the other growers and it was a handfull of older dudes with ties back to the 60's and shit. Now that all the clubs in Cali have popped up that handfull turned into a bunch of dudes my age who used to be runners decided shit I might as well take this cash from trimming ect and start a lil perpetual indoor grow and fuck I'll make more than dude I'm working for!!! Now that these cats have been doing this for a few years we are seeing the aftermath...

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
That guy at the city council meeting was a douchebag. Bravo to that councilwoman who put him in his place.

Overall, it seemed to have a negative slant on cannabis, IMO.

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
Isn't Arcata where that kid is from who shot his partner while driving away from a marijuana heist and then tried to shoot himself in the head but messed up?

Kinda hard to paint a pretty picture about marijuana after some kid and his buddy rob 6 guys at gunpoint and go on a high speed chase shooting ak47s at CHP until they fly off a cliff and damn near both die over less than $100k

BudGood

Veteran
Isn't Arcata where that kid is from who shot his partner while driving away from a marijuana heist and then tried to shoot himself in the head but messed up?

Kinda hard to paint a pretty picture about marijuana after some kid and his buddy rob 6 guys at gunpoint and go on a high speed chase shooting ak47s at CHP until they fly off a cliff and damn near both die over less than $100k

It's called social darwinism. The idiots will weed themselves out of the genepool eventually. :smoke:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
wow this shit really was harsh on indoor grows. what a bunch of stupid ass dealers messing up the rep for the rest of us.

all these documentaries showing up in prime time, now even the TV folks are selling pot to the masses.

good lord, legalization is just around the corner...... ????? or is it...

I don't know, and I didn't see this documentary, but if I'm following the home damage points correctly, I would think legalization would solve it.

I would think more people would want to grow outside if they could do it without fear of repercussion. I know I would.

B

BioMechanical

If I understood him correctly, the music teacher guy speculated that if MJ was made legal, it would kill the town of Arcata because it is currently so dependent on the dollars from these grow ops?

Did I get that right?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1650$

Nicely Remodled 3 bedroom house for rent in Arcata. Beautiful home with hardwood floors, Large fenced back yard, nice kitchen with stainless appliances, and granite counter tops. Bathroom is all tile, with newer toilet, sink, and redone shower. Single car garage, and horseshoe pits in the back yard. Across from Mad River Hospital, close to bus line. Available Nov. 1. 420 friendly but not 215 friendly (smokin fine, no growin). Pets considered with higher rent price. These are the adds for rental in Arcata

1700$
This home under the redwoods in in the finishing stages of being totally rebuilt with beautiful new kitchen, bath, windows, paneled ceiling, decks etc. Tenant pays all utilities but house is energy efficient with new insulation, new efficient furnace, and on demand hot water heater. Backyard is natural with redwoods. House has 3 bedrooms, one bath, and large family room. One mile from HSU, close to bus line. Available November 1st. ABSOLUTELY NO PETS, SMOKERS, AND NO NO NO MARIJUANA GROWING. Must have good references and credit. House will be available to show close to end of month. Respond to this ad with exactly who the prospective tenants are, a little bit about your situation, and a phone number

BudGood

Veteran
I can see the home damage making landlords unwilling to allow people to grow on their property. Disrespectful asshats ruined it for good respectful peeps. I DVR'd it, I'll watch it again later, to listen to that music teacher again, a bit more carefully.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Yes that Music Teacher was saying Arcata would crumble if pot was legalized, personally I think it should stay the way it is but be more regulated. I don't want to loose a way of income to huge tobacco companies that aren't going to care about the people smoking their product like I would. I'm not greedy by any means and would also donate a good portion of my crop to people like the single father with handicapped son that was such a sweet guy I felt bad for him. But yea that laddy Donna was a bit lame "oh I just can't garden anymore cuz I smell pot plants!" My god lady!! My own grandmother doesn't smoke but thinks Cannabis is the most beautiful plant and LOVES the way it smells so get over yourself. Same with the shit about the meter but I do see the other side as well cuz those were some VERY disrespectful growers... Time for tents and 1 room grows not whole damn houses you greedy fucks!

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
i think the older generations have a problem with the blessed ganja b/c of many factors, but one big one is the movie reefer madness

Do you guys realize that the people turning 60 this year were college age when Jimi Hendrix played the National Anthem at Woodstock in 1969? Good god, How old is Willie Nelson?

zenoonez

Veteran
Do you guys realize that the people turning 60 this year were college age when Jimi Hendrix played the National Anthem at Woodstock in 1969? Good god, How old is Willie Nelson?

I dunno but I would burn a bowl with him in a second.

bluebublelove

I can't watch shit about the dangers of mj anymore, been fighting this shit too long just pisses me off.

It was more about the impact the large numbers of grow houses are putting on small communities of people who just want to live without having illegal (meaning outside of stateguidelines or operating without 215 cards) grows set up that unquestionably are viewed a danger from the outside people....they see the illegal drug trade being run right next door and all they can think is of the dea kicking in the door and firing off rounds or some kind of violent situation happening at one of the many grow houses that surround their dwelling, that they just live in and don't operate any grow house in.

I didn't really notice at any point in the show them attempting to make a point that marijuana is evil or dangerous at all and it really said that the only way to cut down on the social problems the community is facing in the presence of their towns majority population being in the grow industry.

Don't get me wrong, not even for a second. I feel that if anytown america legalized marijuana for rec and med use and 7 houses per block chose to grow cannabis within their specified guidelines no one would say anything, nor have the write to because that is what the people chose.....I feel like alot of the people in nor cal are feeling taken advantage of.

Alot of illegal grows are concentrated in that area and unfortunately a fair number of idiots and unsavory characters are trying to cash in on the money aspect and not on the helping normal people get high grade smoke.

This has all happened over a short period of time.

Nor cal has always been known for large grows, dank weed, nice people, etc since the 70s but now it is ground zero for anyone who wants to set up a grow to make some untaxed cash....

again, not to say I'm against it....as long as the govt is going to keep it illegale, anyone who wants should be able to take advantage of the law and make the money they can, just not at someone elses expense.

The sad part though is I'm sure they are right about people not being as friendly and kids not running around like they used to. My Grandmother lives in Fort Bragg in Mendocino County and over the last 6 years has noticed the increase in people my age between 20-30 and it's obvious they are into cannabis they all look like hippies ect. Some are nice but a lot are homeless beggers and I've seen this with my own eyes when I go up there. Never been to Humboldt or Arcata but I've been all over Willits and that area and it has gotten worse I mean shit used to be like 5 years ago me and my boy would go to the "farm" which was a legal outdoor grow and our dude up there knew all the other growers and it was a handfull of older dudes with ties back to the 60's and shit. Now that all the clubs in Cali have popped up that handfull turned into a bunch of dudes my age who used to be runners decided shit I might as well take this cash from trimming ect and start a lil perpetual indoor grow and fuck I'll make more than dude I'm working for!!! Now that these cats have been doing this for a few years we are seeing the aftermath...

exactly thundurkel

I saw the show... It seems these landlords were ignorant, Why didn't they ever stop by, just to check if they are worried about it... I guess taking 15 - 20 minutes once a week out of their schedule, to check on their property isn't in their list of priorities. so these people have no room at all to bitch. especially since they are aware of the "Problem" and expect it.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They would need to give notice to enter the residence, They cant just show up and enter thr house. They could drive by but wont see much