What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

post your dog or fav. dog breed

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
Furry friends

Furry friends

@mooseeater, we had the pleasure of having a norwegian elkhound. He was a serious guy, always on duty . He was sitting next to my truck at a party and a friend wanted to walk by. Oakley gave him the Look,tenderly grabbed his wrist with an evil eye, and shouldered the guy around my truck. He meant business but always seemed to allow for foolish humans to go with a warning.
He loved to slide down hills on his belly in the snow. I think it cooled his man balls.
I once was out too late on the mountain bike at dark. I followed his curled white tail back to the trail head. He never lost a beat.
We have been married for almost 40 years and always had 3 or 4 dogs. From rat terriers to irish wolfhounds. My hope is that when i die, they will all meet me... my pack.

M

moose eater

@mooseeater, we had the pleasure of having a norwegian elkhound. He was a serious guy, always on duty . He was sitting next to my truck at a party and a friend wanted to walk by. Oakley gave him the Look,tenderly grabbed his wrist with an evil eye, and shouldered the guy around my truck. He meant business but always seemed to allow for foolish humans to go with a warning.
He loved to slide down hills on his belly in the snow. I think it cooled his man balls.
I once was out too late on the mountain bike at dark. I followed his curled white tail back to the trail head. He never lost a beat.
We have been married for almost 40 years and always had 3 or 4 dogs. From rat terriers to irish wolfhounds. My hope is that when i die, they will all meet me... my pack.

Yep. I intend be buried with pics of all of my pups, and my current family members.

Elkhounds tend to be hunters, and many people grow frustrated with their tendency to wander when loose outside, sometimes being gone long periods.

That first registered bitch I had and hitch-hiked with was present for ONE relatively violent raid when I was 16, and present for ONE raid on our smoker by a young black bear. In both cases, she decided that cops and bears were horrible beings. With cops, the trigger was the uniform (had a neighbor and mentor when I was a kid, and he could stop by in plain clothes and she was good. In uniform he was toast).

If she growled at a ride, I didn't get in.

One of her pups was kept by me, 1/2 elkhound, quarter shepherd, 1/8 husky and 1/8 coyote, was born outside at better than -40 in January 1982, & often stayed in my old '64 Ford F-100. The doors didn't lock, so when I was at work, and there might be any number of valuables in there (weed, firearm, etc.), he would sit in the truck with his blanket, and the window and vent cracked open a bit.

A coke head I worked with, decent guy, but swallowed by his own desires, went to reach inside my wing-vent one day, and my elkhound-cross reportedly turned kujo on him.

At that time, I'd never seen him become aggressive, thus didn't believe the guy's report. All I'd ever seen that pup do was locate carcasses to roll in and play with the neighbor kids. But I came to realize a couple things; after a while, that dog thought my Ford was his turf, and treated it that way, and the fellow who had tried to "reach in to pet (my) dog" was likely up to no good, and my pup likely knew it via pheromones, just like his mother had a sense about her concerning prospective rides.

The breed dates back to beyond 5000 B.C., and the Vikings were often buried with their 'moose hounds,' I assume to help get them safely to the next plain.