What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Post your DIY Aerated Compost Tea Brewer (proprietary brewers will be tolerated)

JuneBugJoe

Advanced Nutrients uses the absolute highest quality ingredients on the market. Their research for nutrients is unparalleled in cannabis cultivating.

Sounds like the sales pitch I get every time before calling bs.

Although I do use the Rino Skin and like it, have not looked into an organic alternative is probably the only reason why. Any suggestions for a better approach?

Surely this is not a AN thread, but let me ask how much water you are buying with AN products?

Also how difficult is it really to source your own chemicals and mix your own nutrients with the right lab glassware? I'm guessing some things with simple chemistry, can be made at home on a less diluted scale for larger grows, also less costly and more fun. :)

JuneBugJoe

Nice! Looks like the same inductor tank I used for my brewers :) I only have one airlift, no air stones. I just use the 70lpm hydrofarm pump, one for each tank :) I looked up the pump your using is rated at 200lpm O.O Do the higher rated lpm pumps get hotter than the lower rated ones?

They get a bit warm esp. in the summer. Sometimes, all baked, my logic would think if I got the air pump wet on the outside that the design would act as a coolant of sorts. So I would continue to spritzer spray the outside of it while covering the intake hole with my finger for a second or two. Anyways.... Seemed to cool it down for some time, but hey.... cooled down or not, this thing runs forever. Have had it for a few years and still runs strong.

And how I got the plans to build brewers is by having a passion for organic soil biology and understanding of important horticulture techniques that are necessary for consumption. similar to the foods we eat. The cannabis plant is the fruit that feeds our endo cannabinoid system. Take what you know and build a brewer based on what your looking to accomplish. There are a few designs that work real well that can be altered for what you want. I dont know how many times I have stood in home depot and just starred at the wall of PVC fittings piecing stuff together. My next project is going to include clear water potable pvc tubing. With a more simple approach.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They get a bit warm esp. in the summer. Sometimes, all baked, my logic would think if I got the air pump wet on the outside that the design would act as a coolant of sorts. So I would continue to spritzer spray the outside of it while covering the intake hole with my finger for a second or two. Anyways.... Seemed to cool it down for some time, but hey.... cooled down or not, this thing runs forever. Have had it for a few years and still runs strong.

And how I got the plans to build brewers is by having a passion for organic soil biology and understanding of important horticulture techniques that are necessary for consumption. similar to the foods we eat. The cannabis plant is the fruit that feeds our endo cannabinoid system. Take what you know and build a brewer based on what your looking to accomplish. There are a few designs that work real well that can be altered for what you want. I dont know how many times I have stood in home depot and just starred at the wall of PVC fittings piecing stuff together. My next project is going to include clear water potable pvc tubing. With a more simple approach.

I've tried aircooling air pumps, but ended up dropping the rez temps well below prime. As much as I don't care for them, a fan speed controller would have dialed the set up in and I think you could easily find a middleground.

Team Microbe

Veteran
I wont buy a brewer because I can build one...

Ah fuck it, I CAN'T stand you organic people...

Im out of this conversation...

:laughing:

If ignorance is bliss, then knowledge is responsibility -

Conventional Ag has failed from the beginning my friend. Did you know that the father of conventional fertilizers (Jusus Von Liebig) later admitted in his life a grave mistake in relying on only chemistry? In fact, he saw the negative impacts of artificial fertilizers on life in the soil in his own veggie gardens and thereafter preferred organic matter to the inorganic chemical fertilizers he invented. To quote him, "After I learned the reason why chemical fertilizers weren't effective in the proper way, I was like a person that received a new life." And while we're showing results of our practices....

picture.php

Silver Lotus grown in living soil - no bottles/flushing/overpriced "bloom boosters" needed

picture.php

Organics yield more than synthetics too, it's a scientific fact - not stoner science like A.N.

picture.php

Terpenoids and flavonoids are brought to life when brix levels begin to top out - true genetic potential is now beginning to reveal itself

Understanding how nutrients work will make us all see the light and ultimately make us better gardeners with more sustainable, efficient, and productive gardens. I highly recommend reading the book Teaming with Microbes (WARNING: you will stray from Advanced Nutrients after this). This book is a game changer and allows the gardener to comprehend soil science and biology rather than narrowly averting it with a chemistry mind-set. Terpene profiles will become greatly enhanced, yields will climb, plants will build a systemic resistance to pests and all airborne pathogens, environmental stress becomes less damaging, and true genetic potential will be expressed.

Advanced Nutrient-grown plants are not allowed to achieve a full level of health because they're simply on the tipping point at all times - they're never given the opportunity to store any reserves for times of stress. And of course, mitigating stress is the main goal in achieving large yields since we cannot ultimately "add" to a genome's inherent potential. That's like trying to feed a midget growth hormones to make him tall enough to play basketball... it just doesn't work like how Advanced Nutrients preaches it man. Read some books and then come back and open your mouth when you're more informed about your claims, because until then you'll just be looked upon as that Advanced Nutrient grower that is blinded by their shiny bottles and marketing gimmicks :tiphat:

Team Microbe

Veteran
Sounds like the sales pitch I get every time before calling bs.

Although I do use the Rino Skin and like it, have not looked into an organic alternative is probably the only reason why. Any suggestions for a better approach?

Surely this is not a AN thread, but let me ask how much water you are buying with AN products?

Also how difficult is it really to source your own chemicals and mix your own nutrients with the right lab glassware? I'm guessing some things with simple chemistry, can be made at home on a less diluted scale for larger grows, also less costly and more fun. :)

Why would you wanna get all "Breaking Bad" on your plants like that? We're working with nature here, not chemicals. Implementing basic biological practices will yield much more results, while cutting costs (up to 60%) and increasing quality. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Advanced Nutrients uses the absolute highest quality ingredients on the market. Their research for nutrients is unparalleled in cannabis cultivating. AN works very well for me and I have the results to prove it, why WOULD I even consider to switch? Because you think its overpriced?

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=36330&pictureid=1329266=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=36330&pictureid=1328884=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=36330&pictureid=1328885=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=36330&pictureid=1329265=1]View Image[/url]

those sure look like some cute lil buds you got there :)

berad4guvna

So with my first most hears some numbers. This was broken down by another grower. I use both RLOS, and synthetic nutrients. I believe there appropriate applications for both.

"
Last month: $1,030 in expenses ($730 in electricity alone) = $171/LB
This Month: on track to spend just over $900 with slightly less production =<$200/LB
y'al I'm actually on a no nutrient program right now, this will be the second month in a row that I'm producing multiple pounds for under $200/LB.
When I was using bottled nutrients however, Big Bloom was my go-to. It's a great way to revive the soil life after a synthetic, osmotic-shock inducing, chem-bath. 2 cups per 5 gallon"

Peace

Greenlion13

OK, went out and actually purchased some 1.25" pvc and made a frame up real quick out of some recycled wood.

Working like it should.
Now question for you guys....
In a similar brewer, do you guys suspend a tea bag or let it all fly?

View Image

View Image
Intotheunknown,

Are you using any diffusers where your air line enters the PVC? Trying to find plans for doing this and whether those using airlifts find it necessary. Any info would be appreciated. Many thanks!

No Problem, Zendo.
This was a part I thought might be confusing, hence quoting MM in my initial post,

Luckily, I did not need to use any glue.

View Image

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=14737&pictureid=298142&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

View Image
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=14737&pictureid=298143&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Hey guys, I could really use some help putting together my brewer. Im NOT putting together a vortex brewer as it seems the parts can cost about 30$ and Id rather make something simple for now.

I was looking at brewers that have like an octagon of pvc at the bottom of your brewer with holes in the PVC for aeration. I also saw a brewer that was just a simple, single airlift. I have a 591GPH pump and only need a few gallons of tea here and there, so my pump has the n3cessary power. Suggestions?

**I quoted this post because I wanted to order the parts like the threaded barbed fitting. My air pump tubing is 1/4 in, that means I need 1/4 in threaded barbed fitting?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
TCD---

just wanted to make sure that your pump is an air pump and not a water pump.

check out microbeorganics for the tutorial the OP in this thread is based on.

the DIY act brewer sticky in this forum is also based off of microbe man's work.

i'm partial to air lifts because they are easy to clean and won't clog.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
TCD there is video on microbeorganics about an airlift brewer designed to work in a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket. It looks really simple and inexpensive!... Good luck!!

Thanks for your time. I have a 571GPH Elemental air pump that Microbeman suggests over Eco air pumps now. I am trying to keep it simple/CHEAP, I guess a single airlift would work? I only need to make like 2-3 gallon at a time, so the power from my pump should be legit.

Someone I follow and trust his judgement in organics uses a brewer that has pvc similar in shape of an octagon and the PVC has holes for it to bubble. I think ita called Venturi? Im picking up my pump from PO Box today, and would be very happy to start brewing asap!!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for your time. I have a 571GPH Elemental air pump that Microbeman suggests over Eco air pumps now. I am trying to keep it simple/CHEAP, I guess a single airlift would work? I only need to make like 2-3 gallon at a time, so the power from my pump should be legit.

Someone I follow and trust his judgement in organics uses a brewer that has pvc similar in shape of an octagon and the PVC has holes for it to bubble. I think ita called Venturi? Im picking up my pump from PO Box today, and would be very happy to start brewing asap!!

Hey pal if you can figure out the simple airlift it is way good, If not then the bubbler will work fine. The venturi works with a water pump