What's new

Portland

One Love 731

Veteran
Pump your brakes some there big timer, from what I can tell your first grow started this past December. If wrong I apologize, that's the story I got from your album. Don't get me wrong, I may have a year on ya (I do this 10-12 hours every day, no kids no job, and take advantage of all information available/net/books an average of 2-3 hours a day) and its not as easy as high times makes it look. Have ya mastered climate control, collected and learned your cuts, cloneing on the level of having 100+ rooted at the same time same stage and learned to tell nobody. Any one can be a player, it takes a special kind to own the team. I wish you the best on your journey. Karma, One Love

Bob Jones

If you're legal in Oregon you're legal, the cops won't mess with you. The locals will stop by from time to time to admire my outdoor plants, tell me what kind of fertilizers I should be using for better yield, and show the new guys what a real pot plant looks like, no worries. On the other hand they're just as serious as anywhere else about busting commercial grows, happens all the time around here, so don't think that just because we're a medical state things are more relaxed for commercial, it isn't California.

ya i hear that im a little weak on experience, i do have 3 summers of outdoor work in high school, and going on 3 indoor runs, 4 or 5 before i would move to p town. i know what most of the basics are, have mastered climate control with only fans, perpetual harvest is my thing. i study too hard to update my up date with pictures, but its a jungle.

how are the cops going to judge 20 lights, if there are only 99 plants in the house? would that be considered commercial to a local? im trying to make my full time work worth it. and i could use a vacation where i blow 20k.

ya i was not saying that i was not ready to do this. at all. i know the laws, how to grow the plants, what to do if there is a fuck up, and how this works. im not 17. what i dont know is how many lights are legit. or if i should just ask landlords if they are chill with medical, or jsut not tell them. that is what still needs to be figured out, not that you are allowed 6 mature and 18 under a foot in veg.

Bob Jones

I don't think you're getting what we're trying to tell you. The cops will think 99 plants and 10 or 20 lights is big scale commercial, you will probably do some hard time if / when busted.

Oregon has med laws and that's what they are, medical. We have reasonable laws that allow 6 mature plants of any size and over a pound of dried weed for possession. If you have 7 plants the cops will probably just let you cut one down, if you've got 20 they're going to take you to jail. I know in California people grow in warehouses to sell to dispensaries, it's not like that here. No selling, no dispensaries. We've got a pretty good system where folks in need often get taken care of. I've personally given over 5 pounds of good weed away in the last couple of years, and I do mean given, to fellow med patients who needed it.

Some folks are always looking to overturn the med laws and this is the kind of stuff they point to as abuse of the system, we don't need it. If you want to go big move to Cali, the cost of electricity is nothing compared to the cost of 5 years in jail and legal bills.

robbiedublu

ya i was not saying that i was not ready to do this. at all. i know the laws, how to grow the plants, what to do if there is a fuck up, and how this works. im not 17. what i dont know is how many lights are legit. or if i should just ask landlords if they are chill with medical, or jsut not tell them. that is what still needs to be figured out, not that you are allowed 6 mature and 18 under a foot in veg.

I imagine from some of the responses that youre getting the picture about the Oregon medical scene. There are a lot of holier than thou med growers/smokers here. They think weed should be almost free and they don't want people to be able to make any serious coin from growing. It's almost like they refuse to acknowledge that the huge majority of smokers are not medical. I hope it gets legalized here this fall but i'm becoming more and more sceptical that it will really happen.
If I was renting I would never tell my landlord that I was growing. Legal is all about plant count, it has nothing to do with # of lights.

thanks robbiedublu, more of the kind of answer i was looking for. im aware the scene will be populated by people who dont have the best intentions. im a good person though, just to put that out there. maybe all these people who dont think i know what im doing should look the law up; pretty sure it works that you can caregive for 4 people, and have as many caregivers living at the same property as you want. 3 caregivers, = 12 cards, =72plants, + 18x12=213 small plants, which i would not have at the flowering location.

what about the land lord situation, you dont think its ok telling the land lord what your up to, and you dont think they might stop by the property, or have lawn care that says something about a buzzing sound around the 3 car garage? currently i dont tell my landlord, i was thinking that i would be able to find some chillers in portland to rent from as i have a few months to look around. maybe i should just go with a rental agency, not tell them, get some house that is managed by them, and just pay on time and never get maintenance out there. i got a lawyer i met at the rainbow gathering that i will use out of eugene, so thats already in order. this is a big move, im getting out of a town that is too small for me, and has too much fucked up shit going on. im also dropping out of college to do this full time. what yall think about the rental situation and how to approach that?

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
Dude, do NOT drop out of college!!! If so start back up when you get here. A college degree is always something you can fall back on. If Oregon goes legal next fall the cash croppers will be scrambling to make a living.

damn i would think a cannabis forum would not try and parent you... i was actually planning on going to school, but not for a degree. im thinking pilot school to start, always wanted to do it, and art classes to meet girls in. if oregon goes legal next year, then i guarantee that alabama will not. i still have a job then. im not making the best decision, but then again, normally there is no perfect answer. growing cannabis is the only thing i have wanted to do for a substantially long time, and its time i take it seriously, or decide to do something in a different field. ya i can do both, go to school and grow, but that creates problems. college is a political place for me, and growing thousands of dollars of ganja has a list of problems it brings to you and your friends. i need to get out of the college town, away from college friends, and on to a more professional life. extensive travel will also be on the agenda.

robbiedublu

Yea man. Follow your dream !!! I had an opportunity to stay in Humbolt county in 1983 but instead left and went to school. My life has been and still is good but I still wonder what might have been if i'd stayed there. Do it while you're young or you'll regret it later.

autumnlight

West lover...um dude, maybe people think your kinda....um green... cause your contemplating #1 a huge grow thinking it will be legal, #2 dropping out of college to do it, #3 borrowing money to do it. Not trying to parent you dude, but you asked what people thought, we are responding. Grow up, humble yourself, and get an education so you can make better decisions. Sorry, but the truth is a hard pill to swallow sometimes.

SneakySneaky

Veteran
portland general electric has this nice feature called "time of use" so if your running your lights at night its about 1/3 as much as regular rates meaning, u can run 2 10k rooms @ night for less than what it would cost you to run it at normal rates. My bill on 7k grow and 3k wortha salt water tanks was 450ish now its never over 300 since i switched to time of use.:tiphat:

SneakySneaky

Veteran

wattage is irrelevant, if you wanted to have 4 cards in your house totaling 24 mature plants and 72 under 1foot, you could do 50k freehanging krusty style setup, wattage is irrelevant to plant count so the best answer is you can put your plants under as many lights as it takes and you can afford. when you get your medical card whether at mamas or the thcf, you are given a crash course in your legal rights and laws pertaining to you. you dont even need to be a patient yourself, find 4 cardholders that need a grower and as long as you dont have any felonies, congrats your now a legal medical grower, do some reading on our med laws, your not allowed to "sell" medicine, but you are definately allowed to take "reimbursement or donations" for your medicine produced. heres a link to do some readin up http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ommp/top20.shtml

what about renting? are rental companies legit? or do i gotta do this the hard way and find somebody who owns and rents a place. what can you tell me about that subject.

Dovepistil

Turning electricity into vegetables? I read in a hydroponic magazine about an operation near Portland that grows only tomatoes. 100% of output is sold to Portland eateries. Greenhouse sunlight, of course, with axillary HID lighting for our short light hours. They pay the agricultural rate (cheap) for electricity. Their monthly electric bill is $35,000. Can you imagine how much of The Herb they could grow with that setup?

spurr

Veteran
im looking for a few new things in life, and so i have been thinking about a big move in the near feature. im thinking portland or, maybe eugene

I was going to do the same thing last year, I flew from the east coast to Portland then drove to Eugene to look at homes to rent. I was in Eugene for 2 days and flew back home...IMO Eugene is a shit hole. It's dirty, full of industrial parks and not well laid out for a city; I had the hard time finding "downtown" and when I did I was far from impressed.

I wouldn't move there for anything, well, maybe for a million bucks and hot ass stripper! Homes are very expensive for getting next to nothing. I did like Portland, but I didn't stay there very long. Corvallis is another place that I liked but I didn't stay there long either. IMO do not move to Eugene, it sucks. Of course, that is only my opinion after going there for 2 days and meeting lots of people and looking at lots of homes.

FWIW, I have lived in many states (including some islands), many cites, and 3 different countries. So I am well traveled to say the least, I even lived in 2 different third world countries; all of which I liked better than Eugene...

Latest posts

Latest posts