What's new

Poppin Fresh is learning the hard way!

PoppinFresh

Well ladies and gentlemen! I've been too busy in the Toker's Den stirring up trouble lol. :spank: But, in that time, I've been absorbing a shit load of information since before I even joined ICMag and while growing my first crop. I didn't want to put the diary up until I was done. But, I figure since I was already PMing MajLeeStoned a few times regarding flowering, it was time to just put up the diary. So, here goes...

Setup
Light: 125W CFL (dual spectrum)/Dimpled batwing reflector
System: Recirculating DWC w/semi-controller bucket
Floor space: 22" x 66", 2 mil. Mylar on walls/Trash bag frankensteined on floor
Nutrients: GH 3-part (at full strength at first, 1/4 strength after reading http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?postid=327817)
Air: Honeywell Air Purifier, Window A/C - 77/85 hi/lo temp, typical 80-83; 40-50%/50-60% RH during rainy weather)
Water: Tap water pH'd (litmus) @ ~5.5, solution @ ~5.8; TDS @ 37-55/~200ppm
Genetics: Good ol' American bagseed from Mexico! 5, all in one pot (I know, I know!)
Monitoring: Indoor/Outdoor wireless thermo/hygrometer
Dry Chamber: (potential) Large 5 gallon humidifier; replaced water chamber with drying racks
Start Dates: Germination @ 07/13; Vegging @ 07/16; Flowering @ 08/01; (potential) Harvest @ 09/24 - 10/6 (55-65 days); Dry/Cure @ 10/10 (my bday)

Dates/Information
07/16 Germinated 6 seeds in rockwool
07/20 Seedlings planted in hydroton 2 have hit the roof literally, 3 are half way, one on it's way
07/21 Two seedlings didn't survive! 4 left
07/22 Pictures taken; Planted 5th seed in empty rockwool just to see!
07/24 Went away!
07/30 Came back, more pictures; started training plants toward four corners except middle; can't find my damn TDS
07/31 Problems: Signs of nute burn and high temperature

08/01 Light flipped 12/12; Flowering, Week 1, Day 1; pictures/video taken after first dark period. Given names; location in relation to feed hole
  • Babycakes: planted late; replaced shriveled seedling; top-left
  • Yao Ming: always standing strong; bottom-left
  • Shaq: tallest, but needed support cuz was falling over; bottom-right
  • Tetris: bent to the side and then up; top-right
  • Vase: germinated in a vase; center
08/02 Problems: Nute burn getting worse at lower leaves. No other leaves suffering from nute burn. Noticed lower leaves touching wet hydroton. Pruned lower leaves.
08/03 Reading ICMag of course! Needing to replace lost TDS; wanting EC, Temp, and pH meter. After finding out information, will go with Hanna HI 993301 EC/TDS/Temp and separate pH meter.. when I get money!
08/04 New pic policy: Overall shots, everyday; Individual shots, every Thursday! (which I didn't do lol)
08/05 Outside temps have dropped considerably! Only 80-85 fluctuations, now 77 is maintained. Hope it lasts forever!
Problems: A lot of salt deposits on top, lower leaves seem to be getting external burn. Siphoned out a gallon of solution, flush with fresh water. Pruned more lower leaves.
08/06 Some of the fastest one-day growth I've seen yet! Continue training to keep out of each other's way and lower leaves off hydroton.
08/09 Everything seems stable - growth is strong; still need a those meters.

08/20 I've been lazy to keep my updates going - pics and diary. So far, I've had water pump trouble due to algae growth. I had to get rid of the pump because I felt I wouldn't be able to clean it well enough as I obviously didn't in the first place. Since then, I changed out the 4gal buckets to new ones (old ones have been cleaned), replaced all tubing, hand watered until the new pump (Ecoplus 396 which I know is a bit too much but will be good for future use) got here, installed a water filter (Tetra Whisper - 10gal) adapted from The Dopest's thread - http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=32458. I still haven't gotten the money for the meters I want and now I can't find my Ph papers so obviously I am winging it a la.. (damn can't find the name of the person or the post but he was described as a lazy grower lol).

Pictures (taken with SE w810i lol)
Note: Damage towards the end is caused by the most dangerous pest a garden can have: a noob grower which is me! lol. Mainly caused when replacing tubing.
Equipment - last image is my surveillance cam on my tv lol

Overall - Dates of Images used: 7/22-8/20

Last edited:

trouble

Veteran
You Go Poppin ! You little trouble maker ! Looks like your off to a good start. I will be back on a regular basis to cause a little trouble.

Peace PoppinFreash

Zesty

Nice setup man. Tho i think your crazy for the bagseed

<fingers crossed that its not a 12 week sat>

I'll be keeping and eye on this grow,

GOOD LUCK :headbange

PoppinFresh

Zesty said:
Nice setup man. Tho i think your crazy for the bagseed

<fingers crossed that its not a 12 week sat>

I'll be keeping and eye on this grow,

GOOD LUCK :headbange

lol yeah im hopin it finishes by my bday. thanks for checkin in LOL. but the bagseed is best thing cuz i didn't wanna practice with some shit i paid for.. before i started these, i went thru about 7 seedlings. :badday: lol. i still got another 50 seeds from like 2 years of schwag purchases til i found a quality dealer lol. but i think if things go well with this, which it kind of has so far, i'll go ahead and invest in some quality genetics. im lookin for some jack herer and hempstar, maybe some la nina for the ladies lol.

guineapig

Veteran
Love the detail PoppinFresh.....:woohoo:

I'll be pulling up a chair for this one.....

If your tap water is pHing at around 5.8 (that's just plain ol' naked tap water without nutes), then when you add nutrients your pH can drop even more.....so, it is possible
that your overall pH (tap water + nutrients) is a bit too low.....

Your growth does look good, however, so the problem doesn't look that bad.....i know sometimes its hard to read those litmus papers correctly too.....am i right that you have a TDS pen but no pH pen?

You can go get some spring water and use 1/2 spring water with 1/2 tap water (store bought "Spring" water not "distilled" water or "drinking" water) and then add your nutrients and then take a pH reading with your litmus paper......the Spring water is usually pH 7 or 7.5 so this essentially raises your pH a bit into a range more proper for the absorption of Nitrogen (hence, your leaves should turn a bit darker green and growth should accelerate)....

All this being said, let me say that you are doing a great job!!!! Growing in hydro for the first time is an experience indeed.....don't think that something is drastically wrong, because it isn't, but learning the ins and outs of pH is important for hydro growers.....you don't necessarily need a pH pen, you can get pH drops if you want for around 8 bucks, or if the litmus paper is working then thats fine too....

lol about the bad sex...

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

looking good PoppinFresh, I'm wanting to do hydro but feel I should get more experienced in soil first, I'll be taking a seat if you don't mind?

PoppinFresh

guineapig said:
Love the detail PoppinFresh.....:woohoo:

I'll be pulling up a chair for this one.....

If your tap water is pHing at around 5.8 (that's just plain ol' naked tap water without nutes), then when you add nutrients your pH can drop even more.....so, it is possible
that your overall pH (tap water + nutrients) is a bit too low.....

Your growth does look good, however, so the problem doesn't look that bad.....i know sometimes its hard to read those litmus papers correctly too.....am i right that you have a TDS pen but no pH pen?

You can go get some spring water and use 1/2 spring water with 1/2 tap water (store bought "Spring" water not "distilled" water or "drinking" water) and then add your nutrients and then take a pH reading with your litmus paper......the Spring water is usually pH 7 or 7.5 so this essentially raises your pH a bit into a range more proper for the absorption of Nitrogen (hence, your leaves should turn a bit darker green and growth should accelerate)....

All this being said, let me say that you are doing a great job!!!! Growing in hydro for the first time is an experience indeed.....don't think that something is drastically wrong, because it isn't, but learning the ins and outs of pH is important for hydro growers.....you don't necessarily need a pH pen, you can get pH drops if you want for around 8 bucks, or if the litmus paper is working then thats fine too....

lol about the bad sex...

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

hey gp. you were exactly who i was waiting for. the super advice. lol. my problem right now is that i lost the tds pen and then i lost my ph papers too. it pisses me off cuz i keep everything in one bag but i am absentminded :bashhead: i just went thru the whole thing this morning. i know i misplaced them but damn it where are they lol. to top it all off i haven't been getting many clients so im on a financial diet and i can't really afford it just yet. so, im currently driving blind.

but i check them daily. they seem ok, no damage, but no extra growth at the moment either. i was thinkin it had more to do with temps dropping to around 65 because i never had to use the ph up or down this whole ride. but temps went up to about 77 today and this week supposed to get back to summer temps in the mid to upper 80s. then to make things even more worse, my RH is like 65% when it used to be around 40 because of all this rain. :badday: so im just gonna throw my heater on.

but, the future is bright, i hope. here's some more recent pics taken yesterday.
Vase, upper nodes

Tetris, i wonder what im lookin at

PoppinFresh

bitchhitsbongs said:
looking good PoppinFresh, I'm wanting to do hydro but feel I should get more experienced in soil first, I'll be taking a seat if you don't mind?

thanks bhb. please cop a squat my sister in green. i love the attention. i can only hope i don't end up messin things up too much lol.

G

guest5703

that tetris looks light deficient, but the rest are sick! Fun grow man, hydro from mexico! I LOVE IT! I'll be back, peace!

PoppinFresh

caligreen said:
that tetris looks light deficient, but the rest are sick! Fun grow man, hydro from mexico! I LOVE IT! I'll be back, peace!

yeah i moved the lights closer. im hoping that will make the big difference im looking for. i forgot im using a cfl in the first place and it's not exactly putting out that much heat. :bashhead:

but in the future, im goin for 2-300 hps and i'll keep the 125 for veg! but that's all when im ready to step the game up... oh yeah lol. thanks for checkin in on me!

PoppinFresh

The amazing Ph f---ups

The amazing Ph f---ups

So, I was looking at my plants two days ago and I noticed some discoloration on the topmost fan leaves of Shaq and Yao Ming. So, I had to at least find these Ph papers. I was tearing my whole room. Finally, I was hanging off my bed, practically upside-down looking for the damn Ph papers in one last ditch effort. Right when I said "F--- it," I look up and I see them, right there in plain sight. I hate that but at least I got them. I went to test the Ph immediately. Here comes the frustration. The Ph papers weren't telling me anything. They stayed the same color for the most part. I thought something was wrong. So, I got drastic.

I stopped all irrigation. I Ph-up to what amounted to 1 teaspoon per 3 gallons. Waited about 10 minutes - the paper came up blue. At least I knew the papers were working. Then, I backed down 1/4 teaspoon til I matched the color of 5.8. Yaaaay! BUT NO! Why is my water so damn cloudy? What's that white shit? Awwww is that algae? Everything was so clear a few hours ago. I looked it up. Yeah, so who knew when you Ph-up too high, calcium decides it wants to drop out. Go figure! :bashhead: :badday:

Anyway, as I look for the USB cord for my cellphone so I can transfer pictures, I find my TDS pen. WOW! Problem is I still can't find the cord so pics are coming soon! If I could find the Ph papers and the TDS pen (which has been missing for a few weeks), I have hope for that damn USB cord! Wish me luck Marijuana world. I need it!

EDIT:
-TDS pen needs batteries lol
-my rez temps are too high
-temps hovering around 80
-RH around 50% with +/- 5% fluctuations (damn weather)
-here are some pics (08/25)

Damage on Shaq, then Yao Ming

Noticeable growth on Vase but no calyx

Is that BUD on Tetris?? (1 on 08/22, 2 on 08/25)

Overall growth

Last edited:

PoppinFresh

Ooooooo what am I lookin at????

Ooooooo what am I lookin at????

Sorry for posting only 3 hours later lol. But, I don't wanna have my hopes up here. I need some reinforcement lol.

It seems Tetris has got some balls and I think I noticed a little landing strip on Vase! Am I imagining things?
Tetris

Vase

:canabis: :bigeye:

PoppinFresh

QUICK UPDATE

QUICK UPDATE

Well as we know Tetris turned out to be a male so he got plucked. Babycakes just wasn't getting any "sun" so I killed it. I cut Yao and Shaq. Yao wasn't showing shit even tho it was the biggest sumbitch in the pot. Shaq look like it was done growing altogether! Neither was showing sex and both were fighting for light. As we know Vase IS a female, no sign of hermie or anything. All girl! I figure it' just be smart to let her get all the light. It wasn't as if I had em under 1000W HPS. I am using 125W CFL and I need to acknowledge that

:bashhead: LOL

I will get some pics tomorrow.