What's new

POPCORN-WHO HAS THE BEST AND HOW DO YOU MAKE IT?

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am a little allergic to corn. So I try to avoid it as much as possible. But I love popcorn the old fashioned heat in a popcorn maker kind of way and then melted butter salt etc. I will pay for it the whole weekend so this has to be a "great" popcorn
So, Amish? Orville? Who has the best popping corn in your opinion and what is your favorite way of making them and why?
This is popcorn weekend for me so help a fellow weednik out please!
Popcorn_20Emoticon.gif

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i like popped corn too
the bobs red mill popping corn is the tops in my opinion
i will eat both kinds but the mrs prefers the white corn kernels
a spoon full of coconut oil in a stock pot and a 1/4 cup of corn is my favorite but ive heard you can just put it in a brown paper bag and micorwave it as well
a little oil or butter to make the salt stick is needed
reddenbacker is ok but the bobs is the kine

buzzmobile

Veteran
Orville is a good one but as @pop_rocks mentioned there are better ones. I use the old style plug in heat base (with a stir arm) and peanut oil. Not a fan of butter. Just a little salt.

shithawk420

Veteran
Heh,what a coincidence.i just got back from Walmart and saw a bag of robs backstage popcorn.i never tried it and knew my uncle would appreciate it.i only had a few kernels but my dad and uncle devoured the bag in like 10 minutes.it was ok.not the best but not bad

hamstring

Veteran

Why is some popped popcorn rounder-looking than other popcorn?​

Popcorn comes in two basic shapes— butterfly and mushroom. Butterfly popcorn has a very irregular shape with large bumps. It has a light crispy texture but can break easily. The mushroom-shaped popcorn is round with a rough surface. This shape makes it sturdy enough to stir and as you add tasty flavorings such as powdered cheese or sugar for sweet-tasting kettle corn.

Buterfly and Mushroom types of popcorn

hamstring

Veteran
My favorite popcorn was from the Kmart snack bar (Blue Light Special in aisle 5). I associate it with going to Ponderosa after church when I was a kid. The two places were next to each other. The only time we ever ate out was after church. I liked Kmart and Ponderosa better than church. All three don't exist in my life anymore. Lost too many teeth and Popcorn sticks in the ones I have left.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
........ are you sure you want to do this Tudo? :sneaky:
yeah, really! there is lots of stuff i enjoy that i'm not "supposed" to do/eat/drink, but planning ahead for an emergency room visit is a step too far for me....unless it had something to do with bacon. www.bbqaddicts.com their "bacon explosion" looks incredible. if i ever actually buy or make one, i'll take it into the emergency room to eat it...:shucks:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Nobody digests corn very well. Considering how much of the food supply is poisoned with it, not much of a surprise how the hospitals are chock full of sick people. We usually make poocorn only a few days a year. Our health is so good, you can really feel the difference from just a bit of corn.

That being said...
White digests better than yellow. ;)

Use a heavy bottomed pan.
Add kernels until bottom of pan is covered.
Add extra virgin olive oil till it barely covers the kernels.
Turn on med high heat and cover.
Leave it untouched until the popped corn almost reaches the lid.
Take off lid and dump half into a container or bowl.
Replace lid and put back on heat.
Shake a bit and let sit till popping slows.
Dump the rest into the container and you are done.

The secret is in the heat level. I prefer just enough heat to pop slowly, because it makes a much smaller, crunchier, tastier and less starchy puff. The big, stiff, tasteless, overpuffed kernels above are from too high heat. :)

Ghee makes a delicious buttery version, but I usually use olive oil.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
NOTHING digests corn very well. we all know that it just zips right through people, usually within 8 to 10 hours, with no change of color. they busted some old boys for hunting baited fields here last year, in spite of them not physically scattering corn out in the fields. they simply fed their horses corn & let them into the field they wanted to hunt the next few days. 🐎🌽