What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Polyhybrids: Why are they frowned upon?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Poly hybrids means many lines with in that seed that means they are unstable and even finding a plant close to say the mom plant can be almost impossible to find.Yes you can find great plants to select from with in the line but if your looking for stable traits then your out of luck.

Exactly.

I run two lines of a poly hybrid cross and have
made selections among the crosses to flower
plants that segregate uniformly for major traits
that I, and many others like.

Aware of the downside of such a program, and likely
have culled many, many more plants then kept.

My goal is to make a new P1 X P1 breeding pair, and flower
seeds to judge uniformity, culling along the way.

Crossing by open pollination as well as back crosses.

Slow going as I do micro style, 6-8 plants at a time.

No worries, I got time.

I recently crossed a thunk with a vintage White Rhino,
and I'll flower those seeds as F1's until I run out.

Then I'll cross again with the thunk P1 and WR P1,
and have another batch of known outcome seeds to grow again

As I see it, the thunk and White Rhino P1's are set by the breeders who made those genetics,
with no need for me to mix it up with F2's and back crossing of those known genetics.

My poly hybrid crossing program goal is to get the P1 x P1 set that makes seeds that flower
plants within my guidelines for uniformity, just like the thunk x White Rhino example.

Not easy, but certainly worth my effort, and yours,
if you choose to develop the skills and make the time
required for the project.

This.

Think about it, in two or three years you could have made your
very own keeper P1 x P2, from the good stock you have now.

A few dozen plants, careful selection, and a little luck.

Or, having done nothing, you would be two or three years older
and wishing you did.

Wow this reply really hit home. You got a point!

MrFancyPlants

Howdy! Hope y'all's gardens are green and healthy and the flowers are plentiful and stinky!

I'm finally back on track after almost a month.

Malawis (both presumed female and confirmed male) rooted pretty quickly - in both rockwool and RR plugs - with minimal yellowing. Visible growth resumed quickly after planting into 2.5'' pots, and they are taking off after moving to the final 5 gallon fabric pots. I am very impressed with the strength and resilience of the two plants I'm keeping so far - a male and a (hopefully) female that both look like classic sativas - very pretty. The two cuts of the Malawi female are in the back of the tent.

Other than that, it's been pretty rough.

Honduras male did not root in rockwool. Of the female cuts, only one rooted, but it got really yellow in the process, and took a while to recover. Even now, a week after going into 5 gallon pots, she is still the smallest of the bunch (in the middle of the tent).

Panama cuts had no trouble rooting, but once planted into small pots, they immediately turned yellow, and also took time to recover. P1 cuts had to re-veg somewhat as I was already 2 weeks into 11/13 when I took better cuts. These are obviously much faster flowering plants compared to Malawis and Honduras. Also, not as branchy as those two, and so I needed to wait for a bigger plant to take healthier, bigger cuts. Interestingly, the Malawis had not started flowering under the same schedule, perhaps leading to perceived better health of the cuts.

Latest posts

Latest posts