What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollination tricks and saving pollen

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
VB NICE THREAD

here some how i do it

if pollen is properly frozen it could maintain it's viabilty for years. by properly frozen he states that the pollen should be dry, free of plant matter and oxygen if possible.
yust like the pic sows i let the pollen val and than i filter the leaf and stuf out with a sieve.
than i put the pollen in a litle Medicine Container ( can put a little bit of dry rice too prevent unwanted condensation 4 /5 beans )roll then in a tisjoe and put the Medicine Container with pollen the freezer
wen take out allow them to fully adjust to room temperature before opening the container. This will prevent unwanted condensation from forming on the pollensurface.

gallery_15915_7520_2194643.jpg

800px-Sieve_%28PSF%29.png

Disposable_Sputum_Container_60ml_90ml.jpg

Savemoney.jpg

here my pollen from my pure Highland Oaxacan x Viking male
picture.php

vicious bee

Nice thread...how long do you leave the jars with rice and flour in the oven?
I left the jars in the toaster oven about five days. Probably overkill but removal of moisture is the KEY problem of pollen storage.

Highland Oaxacan x Viking male. That sounds like a killer combination.

anikas88

WHens the best time to pollinate an autoflower? 30 days into flowring? Im looking to get the most out of one female. I bought 25 seeds, out of those 25 only one was female. i killed all males except 2 strong ones. Looking for the best time to pollinate

uptosumpn

Veteran
Damm! 1 out of 25????!!!!! Jesus F. christ! I know you coughed up a lung.....anywayz, pollenate auto female @ 4-5wks from sprouting...<this way your seeds have time to mauture properly when harvested @ week 9 or 10

As the male flowers swell and look as if they will pop and spill pollen I will pluck it (yes each individual flower one at a time) and drop it into a small baby food jar and leave the lid off in a dry room, not too cold, not too hot - 75F. After collecting as many as I want and killed the daddy, the flowers and pollen are usually dry in a day or two. Then I get pollen all over the paint brush and breed even with flowers in the jar. You can see below how I have tapped the jar so that the pollen and flowers separate and I dip the brush in the yellow pollen. I have heard that leaving flowers in your pollen for storage can cause it to go moldy. I guess thats because of the added moisture.

once again ACBract....very simple....VERY EFFECTIVE!...thanks...this is the method I will use...not that the others are any inferior...I just like simple...simple has always worked for me the best...KISS..stands for..Keep It Simple Stoner!!lol

anonamix

Cool guide. About 2 days late for me tho lol. I had my first pollen collection expierament a couople days ago, and I think It could have been a bit more effective with some of your techniques. I will keep this in mind for next time.

basspirate

I was thinking the other day about the idea of a pollen bank...I know a lot of people here are pretty hardcore about what's acceptable and passe when it comes to breeding, but especially for autoflower growers it could be a real blessing.

qdavid

I had some 6 month old pollen that I had dried, bundled, and refrigerated in a small glass jar back in June when it was fresh. Recently, the sealed jar with the bundle in it was left at room temperature for a couple days before I opened it, so condensation couldn't form on the pollen, before I used it. But drat, the pollen had turned color from a bright yellow to a dull gray. I brushed a few buds with it anyway. My question is; given the color change, does anyone think the pollen might still be viable anyway? Is there anyway to tell if the bud was fertilized and producing seeds, judging by it's appearance or something, after only a couple weeks? I do have another male that I cut some flowering branches off and put them in a jar of water. So I might try that too, if I get some new pollen soon enough (~5 wks to form seeds). Same strain.

vicious bee

When mine has changed color it's no good. Probably bad. I think adding a drying agent to the pollen intermediately and storing in a sealed jar in the fridge makes a big difference. I don't know for sure but it seems that letting it dry unprotected would decrease it's life.

dasher65

Great thread. Saving special pollen opens up all sorts of possibilities whne creating your own special strains. Thanks for the tute.

vostok

Veteran
Pill bottle, brush, sieve, male pollen, rice, fridge, and long awaited female buds, and we are good to go ....great thread!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pill bottle, brush, sieve, male pollen, rice, fridge, and long awaited female buds, and we are good to go ....great thread!

Yeah, a common mistake for those saving pollen....jarring it up when still 'wet'. Needs to sit a few days before placing in fridge.

We use flour/pollen ratio 60:40 and gel silica packets. And divide up into .5 grams...and label. Putting all your pollen in one place....not good.

Ph-patrol

Veteran
How long does pollen take on cola before spraying off. I'm pollinating lower buds and wrapped them in cellophane rap. I brushed with small paint brush.

All responses appreciated

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How long does pollen take on cola before spraying off. I'm pollinating lower buds and wrapped them in cellophane rap. I brushed with small paint brush.

All responses appreciated

Unwrap cellophane after 4-6 hrs. You do not want condensation build up. You'll know within that time in a week or two if it worked.

Ph-patrol

Veteran
Im around 4 weeks in to flower is that going to be to late? I most likely will take my plants to around 70 days.

Thanks for the repose Aridbud

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im around 4 weeks in to flower is that going to be to late? I most likely will take my plants to around 70 days.

Thanks for the repose Aridbud

No, 4 weeks is safe....you may have to harvest the rest of the plant saving the pollinated branches to naturally mature, or degrade in orderto get mature plump viable seeds. No worries.