What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pollen location

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If I was to put pollen on a hybrid, does the branch location even matter? Are all seeds basically the same where ever the pollen lands? Is a seed from the bottom branch the same as a seed from the top branch of the plant?

revegeta666

I see you all the time but I don't see any plant.s
My mistake friend, here you go
IMG_20230720_120901.jpg

IMG_20230720_120855.jpg

IMG_20230720_121218.jpg

It's not like there are literally hundreds of my pictures all over this website or anything 🤷‍♂️

Lumpy-Gravy

I’ve made the mistake of pollinating lower branches and it’s okay if you only want a handful of seeds since obviously there’s less bulk down there. I got 30-40 seeds. I choose a sacrificial top bud now. Last time off just one top bud in a lickle experiment tent and 2L pots I got over 100.

I think outdoors where photon penetration isn’t as much of an issue I reckon it would t matter too much.

Legalcdn

Pollinating a whole plant makes way too many seeds unless you plan to start a breeding business or feed birds.

Indoors: Fans off.
I cut a hole in a paper bag and slide overtop bud, tie bottom of bag to stem, spray outside bottom of bag with water. From the top, brush pollen (or tap) to introduce pollen, close top. I open next day and spray everything inside bag so remaining pollen is useless.

I like to pollinate top cola as i always have too much to consume.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
It depends on how old/ how large the plant is. It does seem that there are micro differences in DNA as time goes on. Probably copying errors as cells divide during growth. I don't remember the thread, but there are papers that show DNA differences between lower and upper parts of the plant, and between one branch and another. To get the best source of original DNA into the offspring, you should use the lowest buds on the plant. As with clones in theory. However, it may be wise to consider pollinating the part of the plant you like the most, thickest branch, largest bud etc. That's how I choose where to clone from.

revegeta666

It depends on how old/ how large the plant is. It does seem that there are micro differences in DNA as time goes on. Probably copying errors as cells divide during growth. I don't remember the thread, but there are papers that show DNA differences between lower and upper parts of the plant, and between one branch and another. To get the best source of original DNA into the offspring, you should use the lowest buds on the plant. As with clones in theory. However, it may be wise to consider pollinating the part of the plant you like the most, thickest branch, largest bud etc. That's how I choose where to clone from.
Thank you that's very interesting

Latest posts

Latest posts