What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollen "contamination" - how long does it stay viable?

idiit

Veteran
Not trying to be a dick but... How long it will survive in a container /fridge/freezer really is not in the spirit of the OP.

I'm also curious... Will viable pollen still be floating around days later if a male is removed?
^ amen. :)

I'm thinking like mean mr.mustard :
I'd think most if not all pollen is rendered inactive within a few days... a week tops imo
I run a continuous harvest style set up in a very small area for beans, clones, early test appraisals. I usually have at least one female in flower at all times. I only hit targeted branches.the way you can tell for sure is if the virgins are getting prego without me actively trying to. i'm not getting stray pollen contamination. I do the "water the stuff down" method if I think pollen escaped the pollination area.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I am wondering how hemp has so many seeds? Grown outdoors in the rain? I guess some pollen did not get wet?
I have never done that but I did pollinate 3-4 foot plants, in an air tight room with many, many, water sprayers on the roof, walls and floor, wait 24 hours, wash them down with water sprays for half an hour, and dry them for 24 hours and then place them in another large room with several thousand plants in rows, one row pollinated and washed the next row not, they were all touching each other. This was just to check if any pollen was still alive on the plant and could make problems on the un-pollinated plants in the rows between the pollinated ones. In thousands of plants, half of which were pollinated, I found zero seeds in the un-pollinated ones. The pollinated plants that had been washed down had normal seed set.
-SamS

I've soaked a bud with water and tried to pollinate it with proven viable pollen.

It didn't take.

Fact.

Water doesn't kill pollen, it germinates the pollen granule to grow down the pistil to the ovule.

If your water is cold enough I suppose that the growing pollen tube still made its way into the ovule when temps resumed a tolerable range.

Latest posts

Latest posts