What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollen bags? Have you used them successfully?

cbotany

Hey, I'm big on open pollination or just partial pollination, but has anyone done pollen bags with males/females in the same garden and selectively pollinated with them? I'm hoping to try this year, any help with pollen bags or personal mistakes would be gratefully appreciated.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hey, I'm big on open pollination or just partial pollination, but has anyone done pollen bags with males/females in the same garden and selectively pollinated with them? I'm hoping to try this year, any help with pollen bags or personal mistakes would be gratefully appreciated.
Good question friend. I have pollinated one plant with 5 different pollens and had good results. Keeping the pollen separate in bags is what matters most. It works if you take your time and be careful.

cbotany

Have you tried the commercial pollen bags that trap male pollen? Like i've cut/dried male flowers and used that but i was hoping to chop males down to a few limbs, bag them, and use each bag on a female limb.

hfm

I use and Love bags.Strip a boys side branches and in he goes.My buddy bends all his boys over once in them.I just leave them upright.You can collect and store the pollen way easier with them.You can flower a bagged boy in a room without pollinating the room and I do it often,just keep your air flowing heavy.Use small ones to target apply and big ones to contain.
Careful is the optimal word though.Best of luck and cheers

revegeta666

i was hoping to chop males down to a few limbs, bag them, and use each bag on a female limb
If you're hoping to separate each limb's seeds that's not gonna work sorry. Pollen flies everywhere and you won't be able to know for sure who was the father of a particular plant. There will likely be more seeds fathered by one male on each particular bud, but they will be mixed for sure.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you're hoping to separate each limb's seeds that's not gonna work sorry. Pollen flies everywhere and you won't be able to know for sure who was the father of a particular plant. There will likely be more seeds fathered by one male on each particular bud, but they will be mixed for sure.
That is what pollen bags or for friends
Have you tried the commercial pollen bags that trap male pollen? Like i've cut/dried male flowers and used that but i was hoping to chop males down to a few limbs, bag them, and use each bag on a female limb.
Remember friend it only takes a tiny amount of pollen to achieve the results one is looking for. If you work with pollen and do not see it then that is probably the right amount. If you work with enough pollen to see powder that's probably too much.

cbotany

Yeah man, I'm good with a solid 90%

cbotany

That is what pollen bags or for friends

Remember friend it only takes a tiny amount of pollen to achieve the results one is looking for. If you work with pollen and do not see it then that is probably the right amount. If you work with enough pollen to see powder that's probably too much.
Thanks bud, I'm actually feeling alot more confident after this post :)

hfm

This is all I do for boys with bags.Then I stick them in front of a fan inside or in a dappled shade with plenty of airflow outside.As long as they arent getting rained on there isnt much issues.
Then figure the best ways to collect out and how to go about it,cheers ;)
1000018416.jpg
1000018418.jpg
1000018420.jpg
1000018422.jpg

cbotany

Reactions: hfm