What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Poll: Michigan voters lean toward approval of medical marijuana,

ston3d_amy

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080925/POLITICS01/809250467

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Poll: Michigan voters lean toward approval of medical marijuana, stem cell research
Charlie Cain / Detroit News Lansing Bureau

A majority of Michiganians is inclined to legalize marijuana for sick people, but a second statewide ballot proposal to relax restrictions on stem cell research in Michigan is a closer contest -- and the advertising blitz has just begun on that measure.

The latest Detroit News-WXYZ Action News poll found that the voters, by a 59-37 margin, favor the ballot proposal to allow terminally and seriously ill people to legally use marijuana if a doctor certified the drug could ease their suffering.

The statewide poll was conducted for The News, WXYZ and three outstate television stations from Saturday to Monday by Lansing's EPIC-MRA. It showed that the biggest backers were women (63 percent support), Metro Detroiters (60 percent) and Democrats (68 percent). Among men, the proposal garnered 51 percent support and 49 percent of Republicans favored it.

If Proposal 1 is approved by voters in November, Michigan would become the 13th state to legalize medical marijuana. Supporters estimate that as many as 50,000 Michigan residents would legally qualify for medical marijuana to treat a host of "debilitating" medical problems such as cancer, HIV /AIDS, hepatitis C, Alzheimer's disease, Crohn's disease and chronic diseases or their treatments that produce wasting syndrome, severe pain, sever nausea, seizures or muscle spasms, such as those caused by multiple sclerosis.

"I'm all for it," said poll participant Jeff Bergel, a 52-year-old wholesale representative and father of two from Walled Lake.

"I lost a brother-in-law to brain cancer last year and I think marijuana could have helped make his more comfortable. My dad has glaucoma and I understand it could help him as well."

<shameless snip of the other unrelated topic>

"I'm a diabetic, so I wish they would find new cures." Law enforcement groups are near unanimous in their opposition to medical marijuana, saying it's part of a broader agenda to legalize marijuana for everyone. But there doesn't appear to be any group ready to spend money on an ad campaign to defeat the measure.

Michael Opland, a 64-year-old father of three from Harrison Township, said he supports medical marijuana, although he believes a lot of people would get the marijuana even though their medical conditions wouldn't warrant it.

"A certain number of people would probably take advantage of the law," he said. "But it's worth it to get marijuana to people who really need it."

ston3d_amy

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story.aspx?content_id=8bbe18d2-d2ee-4be1-8dc6-7130a5e668b3

Complete Poll Results:

A proposal to permit the use and cultivation of marijuana for specified medical purposes.
Based on what you know or may have heard about this proposal, if the election were held today, would you vote YES to support the ballot proposal to allow the use of medical marijuana, or would you vote NO to oppose it?

59% Total Yes
37% Total No
4% Undecided/Refused

ston3d_amy

More information

Marijuana proposal

Prop 1 would:
* Permit physician-approved use of marijuana by registered patients with debilitating medical conditions including cancer, glaucoma, HIV, AIDS, hepatitis C, MS and other conditions as may be approved by the Department of Community Health.
* Permit registered individuals to grow limited amounts of marijuana for qualifying patients in an enclosed, locked facility.
* Require Department of Community Health to establish an identification card system for patients qualified to use marijuana and individuals qualified to grow marijuana.
* Permit registered and unregistered patients and primary caregivers to assert medical reasons for using marijuana as a defense to any prosecution involving marijuana.

ston3d_amy

New Poll Sept. 30, 2008

New Poll Sept. 30, 2008

Source
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080930/NEWS06/809300354

The new poll also showed support for Proposal 1, which allows the cultivation and use of marijuana by patients with serious medical conditions such as cancer and glaucoma, at 66%, with 25% opposed and 9% undecided.

The poll, conducted Sept. 22-24, was based on telephone interviews with 602 likely voters, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.