What's new

Polis to DEA, stay out of Co

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Congressman Polis believes these raids are in contradiction to the will of the voters of Colorado and are an unwarranted federal intervention in the doctor patient relationship," Cottingham notes via e-mail. "President Obama has clearly stated his position on respecting states that have voted to allow medical marijuana, and the recent raids are contrary to that policy. Congressman Polis feels these actions strike fear into the hearts of many medical marijuana patients who are already dealing with chronic pain and suffering and must be stopped."

Although Agent Sweetin reportedly has backed away from his comments, he has yet to issue a written clarification or resign, thus the widespread panic in Colorado continues.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2010/02/medical_marijuana_raids_by_dea.php

if you want to write Polis and thank him for sticking up for Co med patients here's the addy:
http://polis.house.gov/Contact/ContactForm.htm

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
The sheriff is the only person who has jurisdiction over the DEA, they can legally tell them to leave and they have to do it

Now if the Congressman Polis tells the sheriff to order the DEA out of their counties, his suggestion might hold more weight than the locals telling them to do it.

This is good the Congressmen is stepping up, but it holds no weight unless he uses the proper legal channels.

Ms_Weekend

good news.....but the problem is the dea cant "leave".....we still need them for meth, coke, heroin.......the problem is most of those guys are harden criminals who run the streets by fear, which make them ALOT harder to catch than your average pot grower, or right out in the open disp....we just need them to back off & focus on real "hard" drugs.

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Read this earlier this morning. Good on Polis! I hope others follow suite (but I sure won't be holding my breath).

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Read this earlier this morning. Good on Polis! I hope others follow suite (but I sure won't be holding my breath).
No doubt. For the guy to stick his political neck out like that for his state is rare.

Ms weekend, I'm more towards ending the drug war entirely, legalizing and controlling all drugs and putting all that money into education/prevention/treatment programs, and putting the drug cartels to an end. I agree the criminals are a problem, but with no income they will fade into the background and/or move onto to something else.

Hemp, gotta wake up pretty early......... :D

GroBoy2000

good news.....but the problem is the dea cant "leave".....we still need them for meth, coke, heroin.......the problem is most of those guys are harden criminals who run the streets by fear, which make them ALOT harder to catch than your average pot grower, or right out in the open disp....we just need them to back off & focus on real "hard" drugs.

I love when I see this attitude around here, (I see it often). Just leave MY drugs alone and go after THEIR drugs. wtf?

I've had friends who've gone towards too much at some point here or there, and I can say, they are a fucking bane to society, sure. But they are people still, and the desire to get intoxicated usually stems from a boredom in some kind of normal life, or a desire to depart from normal life.

You can't just say, leave MY stash alone and go after THEIRS, that's wrong. If repression/prohibition doesn't work for MJ smokers why would it work for meth smokers? When users become addicts bad shit always results, but you can't exclude users from the race. You can ban them when they use them in sports, but you can't just slave them out because they don't fit in your image.

Duckmang

I commend Polis's efforts. Obviously he realizes something that most other elected officials seem to have forgotten in this state..... the voting majority supports the right to use cannabis. I doubt many encumbents will be holding office after the next election.

Ms_Weekend

I love when I see this attitude around here, (I see it often). Just leave MY drugs alone and go after THEIR drugs. wtf?

I've had friends who've gone towards too much at some point here or there, and I can say, they are a fucking bane to society, sure. But they are people still, and the desire to get intoxicated usually stems from a boredom in some kind of normal life, or a desire to depart from normal life.

You can't just say, leave MY stash alone and go after THEIRS, that's wrong. If repression/prohibition doesn't work for MJ smokers why would it work for meth smokers? When users become addicts bad shit always results, but you can't exclude users from the race. You can ban them when they use them in sports, but you can't just slave them out because they don't fit in your image.

I dont mean any disrespect but your basically saying... if you like one kid, you have to be against abortion for everyone.......how much sense does that make?

MJ doesnt affect people like, coke, herion, meth...so they SHOULD go after coke, herion, meth & LEAVE MJ alone.....I dont know anyone sucking d*ck for a joint.

its just a wild fantasy to think there will be no dea, or all drugs will be in the same category.....that will never happen.......& if you didnt have $ invested in meth & coke you wouldnt be defending it......all meth/coke/herion does is ruin the users life......MJ doesnt :wave:

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont mean any disrespect but your basically saying... if you like one kid, you have to be against abortion for everyone.......how much sense does that make?

MJ doesnt affect people like, coke, herion, meth...so they SHOULD go after coke, herion, meth & LEAVE MJ alone.....I dont know anyone sucking d*ck for a joint.

its just a wild fantasy to think there will be no dea, or all drugs will be in the same category.....that will never happen.......& if you didnt have $ invested in meth & coke you wouldnt be defending it......all meth/coke/herion does is ruin the users life......MJ doesnt :wave:
Ruining lives is not the point though, people can ruin their lives in countless ways, but that doesn't mean we should give government control over right to choose how we run our lives (for better or worse). I have absolutely no monetary interest in coke/meth/heroin, but the illegal status of these drugs do far more harm than good. If you look at the historical patterns, the government does not use drug laws to 'keep the children safe' or to 'protect us from ourselves' (which is not possible so we may as well be realistic), they use these laws to imprison political opposition, preserve corporate profits (Pharma), and continue Government profiteering and monopolizing of the drug trade.

Yes people will die, and ruin their lives, but they will do that regardless. The framework we have in place now only allows for exponential violence from the feds/cartels, and allows for exponential profits for the feds/cartels to continue their operations.

Also I think to say that all those drugs do is ruin lives and that MJ never ruined anyone's life is simply not true. Yes MJ is far more safe physiologically, ie can't OD etc. But just like any substance it can be abused and ruin someone's life. But how is that any of my business? It's not.

Ms_Weekend

your a cool dude cobcoop, but just because we can have dogs, cats, and hamsters as pets, doesnt mean we should have elephants, tigers & bears.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I def respect your opinion, I used to view things the same way. Sigfried and Roy may disagree :D

BigTop

In all actuality, having children is of greater impact to society (let alone the individual kid) as opposed to any drug that we have yet to experience.

I say we license child rearing... doesn't that make better sense for having a beneficial, real, tangible impact to the quality of lives for people... over an entire lifetime nonetheless...?

Seems Growboy has a point that went overlooked... prohibition doesn't work... never has, never will... and has always had social/moral/ethical harms associated... e.g., jailing the population... usually nonviolent offenders... ruining their lives & those of their loved ones.

Sure, some drugs have greater harms than others... alcohol has the worst. Yet we seemingly indiscriminately treat one class of drugs differently than others... utilizing know tactics (prohibition) that carry more harms than benefits.

We need to be rational, educated adults when dealing with these matters... and prohibition is a knee-jerk, reactionary method with no positive results. This needs to be addressed for all drugs, not just our beloved MMj.

Think that is what GB was driving at... not that meth isn't of any harm. Peace all! :dance013:

B

Blue Dot

Ruining lives is not the point though, people can ruin their lives in countless ways, but that doesn't mean we should give government control over right to choose how we run our lives (for better or worse). I have absolutely no monetary interest in coke/meth/heroin, but the illegal status of these drugs do far more harm than good. If you look at the historical patterns, the government does not use drug laws to 'keep the children safe' or to 'protect us from ourselves' (which is not possible so we may as well be realistic), they use these laws to imprison political opposition, preserve corporate profits (Pharma), and continue Government profiteering and monopolizing of the drug trade.

Yes people will die, and ruin their lives, but they will do that regardless. The framework we have in place now only allows for exponential violence from the feds/cartels, and allows for exponential profits for the feds/cartels to continue their operations.

Also I think to say that all those drugs do is ruin lives and that MJ never ruined anyone's life is simply not true. Yes MJ is far more safe physiologically, ie can't OD etc. But just like any substance it can be abused and ruin someone's life. But how is that any of my business? It's not.

You're missing the point.

It's not about the meth users lives that anyone is concerned about. It's about the other innocent people who are harmed by them.

EVERY tweeker I know is a thief. I know some who have landed long stretches in the pen for it.

i'll GLADLY pay the gov to lock up those people so they don't rob me.

pot heads are not thieves thus there is no need for MJ laws because potheads don't harm others.

Think of meth laws like DUI laws. It's a law to prevent others from getting harmed, it has nothing to do with the person using the intoxicant.

Latest posts

Latest posts