What's new

PLL Club. (if you don't know, now you know)

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Can I use 36w bulbs in a 55w ballast?

Yup.

The ballast will compensate for the difference.

Anyone try the LED PL L swap yet, I wonder.

Some are ballast bypass, interesting. The lumens
output seem less than true PL L, so we'll see.

Mr Jay

Veteran
I have a question for the PLL club!

I got ahold of some cheap bulbs recently. and I have 3x Workhorse 8 ballasts at my disposal.

I was thinking of putting 4 bulbs on one ballast, and three bulbs on the other. Per Fulham I can do up to 6x 36 watters per ballast, but I was thinking if I split the load it'd run cooler.

Sylvania Dulux L 4100k 36w
I am working on a mini fridge, would 7 of these, (looks to be about 252w) do decent in there?

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72876&pictureid=1735776&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72876&pictureid=1735779&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Yup, that'll do it. I grew in a similar sized cab using about the same wattage of pl-l and cfl and killed it with Scrog. You're going to need some good ventilation for that much power in a tiny box though. What's the footprint of your cab?

A little late to the party I tried it anyways lol.

roughly 18x18x32. I've got two 120mm fans pulling heat out, it keeps it at a steady 73. Currently vegging some clones in there, doing a-ok!

trowes

Yup.

The ballast will compensate for the difference.

Anyone try the LED PL L swap yet, I wonder.

Some are ballast bypass, interesting. The lumens
output seem less than true PL L, so we'll see.

Thank you! It actually says "output power: 18-55w" on the specifications but I wanted to be extra sure.

How is the 4000K bulbs? If I remember correctly the 6500k and the 2700k is the best ones right?

Been searching a while but cant find how you connect multiple ballast to one power cord. Is that possible?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Thank you! It actually says "output power: 18-55w" on the specifications but I wanted to be extra sure.

How is the 4000K bulbs? If I remember correctly the 6500k and the 2700k is the best ones right?

Been searching a while but cant find how you connect multiple ballast to one power cord. Is that possible?

4000k is somewhere in the middle, some growers say
it's a good bulb for veg and flower.

I have two ballast for my flower box and connected
the black wires together and the white wires together
to the cord plug.

It's commonly referred as wired in parallel.

trowes

4000k is somewhere in the middle, some growers say
it's a good bulb for veg and flower.

I have two ballast for my flower box and connected
the black wires together and the white wires together
to the cord plug.

It's commonly referred as wired in parallel.

I figured it out, thanks! It was as easy as it sound. Just all the black wires together and

Anyway. I really like my tubes. Have them in my 3x3 tent together with a 315w CMH.
Doing 12/12 from seed Got my big lady´s to the left under the CMH light and got some seedling on the right side under the PLL.

Was a struggle trying to grow the seedlings under the cmh, matching canopy level etc etc.

I barley notice a temp difference when adding 3x36w. Changed a 36w for a 55w today and temps still nice.

Wounder if I could squeeze in a 2 sheaves to the right in the tent. Having 2 shelves with 2x 55w each. with perpetual SOG 12/12 i can have the biggest plans on top, getting more light from the 315w CMH witch hangs almost at the top in the tent.

Thought?

So, I've found tons of useful info about PL-L lighting in this thread but there is one thing I can't figure out and it's making me feel like a dummy:

Where can I order fixtures for these bulbs? I'm finding nothing on amazon or ebay! Aquarium shops around here only seem to have T5 fixtures :/

Canadian supplier would be even better. I'm not adverse to a bit of DIY tinkering to save $$.

Thanks for the help y'all :)

So, I've found tons of useful info about PL-L lighting in this thread but there is one thing I can't figure out and it's making me feel like a dummy:

Where can I order fixtures for these bulbs? I'm finding nothing on amazon or ebay! Aquarium shops around here only seem to have T5 fixtures :/

Canadian supplier would be even better. I'm not adverse to a bit of DIY tinkering to save $$.

Thanks for the help y'all :)
I'd order 2g11 bases off somehwere like 1000bulbs and DIY.

Cool, thanks for the info! Assembling everything looks pretty straightforward.

For a mother chamber w/ area = ~1.5 x ~2 ft, I'm thinking:

1 x Fulham workhorse 8 (4 lamps)
4 x 55w lamps
4 x sockets

Where I'm stuck right now is:

1. choosing sockets from this selection
and
2. choosing the right bulbs for a veg chamber.
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/53759/SOCK-EG286SC.html

Those are the ones I have and they do fine

That being said, some care had to be taken with the wiring because of how they mount. I used pockets in my frame so I could flush mount the sockets. Spacers would work as well.

I'm using some 4100k bulbs and they are doing just excellent, if your not doing anything other than veg, 4000-6500 is fine

Jelly

Last edited:
Just checked my order history, I have the 4100k 55w as well as some 36w 4100k and I gotta say for veg I like that temp. Short nodes, bushy growth, plants seem to love it.

Jelly

tejashidrow

Hi
Just in case anyone's interested.....
My Pll fridge (first page-2009) grow was fantastic!!!
Ranks among one of my best connoisseur grows Ever!!
But since then i had moved on to bigger grow areas.
But life has reared its cruel head and I have been relegated back into a small grow situation.
I was moveing (ok..storeing) my stuff in the hgarage and found a box of PLL's (39 waters??) and a work horse 8.
now that I found these, I am thinking of adding a couple PLL to my small 100 watt Cree cob flower box.
Instead of putting them vertically was thinking of putting them diagonally on opposite walls(cuz that's how they fit better)
The right side will start high in front angle down low to back.
The left side will start low in from and angle up toward the back.
Any thoughts???
Also what type of reflectors would you recommend??? Or should I just roll with the white painted walls???
Can anyone recommend a ballast that will run 2- 39 Watters???
I know the WH8 I have will drive them both but it's so freaking big....
And there is no writeing on the PPLs.
How do I double check the wattage of them??
Thanks.

Boleman

This is my thread. Show pics, not paragraphs.

This is my thread. Show pics, not paragraphs.

Hi
Just in case anyone's interested.....
My Pll fridge (first page-2009) grow was fantastic!!!
Ranks among one of my best connoisseur grows Ever!!
But since then i had moved on to bigger grow areas.
But life has reared its cruel head and I have been relegated back into a small grow situation.
I was moveing (ok..storeing) my stuff in the hgarage and found a box of PLL's (39 waters??) and a work horse 8.
now that I found these, I am thinking of adding a couple PLL to my small 100 watt Cree cob flower box.
Instead of putting them vertically was thinking of putting them diagonally on opposite walls(cuz that's how they fit better)
The right side will start high in front angle down low to back.
The left side will start low in from and angle up toward the back.
Any thoughts???
Also what type of reflectors would you recommend??? Or should I just roll with the white painted walls???
Can anyone recommend a ballast that will run 2- 39 Watters???
I know the WH8 I have will drive them both but it's so freaking big....
And there is no writeing on the PPLs.
How do I double check the wattage of them??
Thanks.

I'm going to add 4 vertical 24w twin-tube pl-l bulbs to this Oakley box, giving it a total of 176w of light!:tiphat:

Boleman

Light recommendations

Light recommendations

I use 2500k pink 4100k white and 14000k actinic blue all at once. I get great results tha way. If you have no print on your bulbs, wattage can be calculated by bulb length.

Boleman

Adding Pl-l bulbs for lack of lumens to the #oaktwenty

Adding Pl-l bulbs for lack of lumens to the #oaktwenty

Built this case. No where near enough light to get proper node separation on the plants. Adding Pl-l lightsicles down the corners. 2 white,

Two pink.

:dance013:

K

kiweed_kid

Just starting my first proper grow after playing with household blubs. Im running 2x55w 6400k in a 2x2 Veg cab and 4x55w 2700k in a 3x3 flower cab.

Jajas

I recently got ahold of a few Osram-Qtp-Optimal ballast thats for both T5s and TCL lights. But their instructions manual only shows how to wire it to the T5s so i dont really know how to do it for tcls. Can someone check if i got it right in the picture?

h3DCFbk.png