What's new

please recommend a portable ac with 4"-6" duct hookup to get rid of hot air 8-10k btu

T

TREE KING

please recommend a portable ac with 4"-6" duct hookup to get rid of hot air 8-10k btu

hi guys i dont know that much about portable ac's so i wanted to get a recommendation of a good one from you all. im thinkin 8-10,000 btu's and it has to have a duct hookup to get rid of the hot air. i need to hook up ducting that stretches like 10-15 ft. the other thing i would like for it to have is an option to drain the water straight into my res so i never have to empty the water and plus the unit would never shut off in this situation similar to what i do with my dehumidifier.

incase anyone is wondering i need this cause i already have a window ac in this big attic but its not big enough. im unable to put in a bigger one and i dont wanna add a second unit to another window cause it looks hot to have 2 ac's in the same room. im gonna start using a portable ac and then duct the heat to come out into the floor below. thanks guys

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
8-10k btu portables are $50 less then 16K portables, get the bigger one...

Running long duct off of one, you WILL NEED a booster fan. NOT an exhaust fan, but a booster fan, to "help" push the hot air along. A 4-6" duct booster works fine. An exhaust fan will suck to much air and actually pull cold air from the unit. No fan on the ducting and your ac WILL NOT COOL, do to heat saturation...

Ive ran several portable ac's, figured out all the tricks and have even modified them to run a closed system....

T

TREE KING

8-10k btu portables are $50 less then 16K portables, get the bigger one...

Running long duct off of one, you WILL NEED a booster fan. NOT an exhaust fan, but a booster fan, to "help" push the hot air along. A 4-6" duct booster works fine. An exhaust fan will suck to much air and actually pull cold air from the unit. No fan on the ducting and your ac WILL NOT COOL, do to heat saturation...

Ive ran several portable ac's, figured out all the tricks and have even modified them to run a closed system....

the problem is i need the ac to be powered on a 15-20 amp fuse if i get a 16k one im thinking it would probably blow the fuse. i also need to be sure i can carry the unit by myself. thanks krunch im gonna google these booster fans your talkin about i have no idea what they are. can you recommend me some good options? a 10k and maybe a 12k please cause i cant power a 16k.

Last edited:
T

TREE KING

fuck thats not gonna work krunch it says no Drain hose connection. i gotta find another one. i think i can figure this out on my own now but the one thing i need to find out is exactly where do i hook up the booster fan? do i hook it up to the ac itself and run the ducting off that? where on the ducting does it get attached?

just found this Whynter unit it looks pretty good. it says it has a Drain hose connection and turns on after power outages
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...-3-_-202033498-_-202882634-_-N#specifications

G

Guest 150314

a 16k btu is only going to draw 10-12 amps when its cooling, 15 amp circuit is fine.

T

TREE KING

a 16k btu is only going to draw 10-12 amps when its cooling, 15 amp circuit is fine.

all i know is i have an lg 12,000 btu window ac and it blows the fuse on a 15 amp outlet. i had to move it to a 20 amp outlet. it only happened once in a while but still i wanna leave myself a good amount of room to make sure it never blows any fuses. i already got another ac in the room anyways i dont need anything real powerful. im tryin to be able to cool down an attic with 4 lights year round so i just need some extra btu's

G

Guest 150314

Fair enough, I would check that circuit anyways and see if its feeding anything other than the outlet you plugged your AC into because I am almost positive a 1 ton AC alone would not trip it even if it is running continuously and not cycling.

T

TREE KING

Fair enough, I would check that circuit anyways and see if its feeding anything other than the outlet you plugged your AC into because I am almost positive a 1 ton AC alone would not trip it even if it is running continuously and not cycling.

i hear you maybe it is feeding something else i guess its possible it was a while ago. fuck it im just gonna use this ac for this apartment only im not gonna need it in the future anyway i think il be all set with 10-12k btu's

yeah i made up my mind im gonna go with a 12k no sense in risking going too small i just gotta learn where to place the booster fan

Last edited:
T

TREE KING

just need to know how to hook up this booster fan and il be outta here guys. theres probably a hose that comes with the ac right? do i attach the hose, then attach the booster fan, then attach the flexable ducting after that?