What's new

Please list strains with naturally occuring red stems and petioles

I apologize if this has already been done and I just can't find the thread.

So...somehow I have ended up with 14 different strains of plants. As a nube, I am trying to muddle through nutrients for these gals. Some of my plants have red stems and petioles.

I specifically have red starting on my Power Kush at 3 weeks into bloom, and my G13 Haze and Utopia Haze has been red for awhile. Any of this normal?

It would be a big help for me, and I imagine other growers without much experience, if we could start a list of strains that naturally turn red stems/ petioles.

Thanks! :wave:

Dr_Tre

You might take a look at DJ Short forums.I've been growing a line in which the best examples show red stems and petioles.Looks like the red is worthy looking for.:wave:

most Blueberry crosses, at least purple stems on some. Others, not so red-ish. Grapefruit from femaleseeds gave me red stems on most phenos. Bluemoonshine. Don't know...

Brickie

G-spot from visc has red stems as soon as the clones root.

The black from bcbd gets it later.

Until recently I've avoided purple strains. DP feminised blueberry from 2000 produced a lot of 'tards so I've stayed clear of them.
But now it seems that the breeders have overcome that problem.

Brick

I get that on the stems going out to the large fan leaves, I've heard it has something to do with nutrients but I'm not to short or to over.

maxima32

one of my chemdog phenos, check it out in my chemdog IX-III thread .Its the number nine with foxtails.pretty plant and colorful as hell.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DJ

easiest way is to just keep an eye on the plant as it's growing.. then you'll spot a def or not.. also just as time goes on you'll know or not

WelderDan

Veteran
Mr Greengenes Cherry Bomb has red stems. The redder ones tend more to the cherry taste.

DJ Short Blue Berry and Blue Moonshine have reddish purple to very purple stems.

The LUI x Blue Moonshine I just popped have reddish purple stems.

And the unknown bagseed I also popped has the brightest red stems I've ever seen. Bright red.

Though to be honest, all the beans I just popped are outside and the cool snap has caused purple on the leaves of all the seedlings.

Red/Purple stems can also be a sign of deficiency or environment, and not necessarily a trait of a particular strain.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No matter what you do with Sweet Tooth it seems to have red/purple stems. Same with blueberry. Some strains just have those colors and thats the way it is.

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
anything crossed with blueberry usually....and blueberry

Dont look on those blueberry seedlings as substandard just because of a little deformed growth. Thats really just an aspect of blueberry whether it comes from Dp of Dj. Most of the plants straighten out and grow normally after a bit. My mom was one crinkled up girl when she was little ahhh but she showed her true colors later on and today, i know of 5 other mothers that have been made from one of her cuttings. I love a little deformed growth because with bb, you know you have the real deal

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lots of plants get red stems when you starve them of P,,,,,

the purple colour is also a sign that the plant is producing a natural anti freeze

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
chapter 3: genetics and breeding of cannabis

i think rob clarke wrote this,,,,,1 of my heroes

Consider a hypothetical example where 2 dominant gene pairs Pp and Cc control late-season anthocyanin pigmentation (purple color) in Cannabis. If P is present alone, only the leaves of the plant (under the proper environmental stimulus) will exhibit accumulated anthocyanin pigment and turn a purple color. If C is present alone, the plant will remain green through out its life cycle despite environmental conditions. If both are present, however, the calyxes of the plant will also exhibit accumulated anthocyanin and turn purple as the leaves do. Let us assume for now that this may be a desirable trait in Cannabis flowers.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
My AK47 has purple/red lines up and down its stock. Also, usually the woodier parts get more red. I know with this strain it is not the cold or a deficiency.

TGT