What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please help

KBNINSTINC

I have a serious question and could use serious guidance on this little adventure here.
I was given some seeds so i went out and bought 2 pots, there’s some gorgeous seeds but i did not realize that the pots i have do not have drainage holes. Do i need to have drainage holes? If so i did mark five small holes on the bottom with a sharpie just haven’t proceeded yet. And do i need to go out and buy nuits? Or can i make something? I live in North Carolina if that helps

KBNINSTINC

I was planning on using basic Miracle grow potting soil until i can get happy frog i think it was called unless thats a bad idea but the soil by me is mainly clay and rock so i figured that wouldn’t be a great idea these are the two pots i have i determined one per pot to get them going then transfer them to a 5 gallon bucket when they’re ready. I do have 5 holes drawn on the bottom of them dice formation

Attachments

• IMG_4275.jpeg
    IMG_4275.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4274.jpeg
    IMG_4274.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Are you starting inside to set outside later or doing them start to finish indoors?

Drilling some holes for drainage is a good idea in general so excess water has a place to escape. Otherwise the roots can suffer if the soil base is constantly saturated. Both soils you mentioned are fine to use.

So Hai

Don’t know about the soils but drilled holes and some leca or hydroton in the bottom should do it for drainage. Oh and don’t start the little ones in a hot soil, might be worth mentioning in case.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
I should clarify. Both potting soils are good choices. Using soil from outside for containers inside can introduce pests and other pathogens to an otherwise clean grow.

revegeta666

Even if it’s clay?
Yes. Commercially sold soil bags have been "cooked" or sterilized so they are safer to use indoors. Indoors there are no predators so whatever insect eggs that may be in the soil will have the ideal conditions to develop with no opposition. Outdoors it's a different story and a healthy ecosystem stabilizes itself and takes care of most pests.

KBNINSTINC

Are you starting inside to set outside later or doing them start to finish indoors?

Drilling some holes for drainage is a good idea in general so excess water has a place to escape. Otherwise the roots can suffer if the soil base is constantly saturated. Both soils you mentioned are fine to use.
I want to start the seedling inside until it gets at least 2-3 inches maybe more then move it outside we still get cold spurts here right now so I dont want to freeze it out

Trying to start it inside until it gets 3-6 inches tall then move it outside until then im doing it indoors especially because it still gets cold down here at the moment. I was going to keep it in the building with the heat on in the window until it gets to height

Happy from was my first idea so i might use miracle grow for one happy frog for the other and clay for another and maybe use a fire charcoal mix In some soil If Thats possible? Im new to this and theoretically in my mind a charcoal soil mix should work but thats also why im here asking questions too

Last edited by a moderator:

KBNINSTINC

I want to start the seedling inside until it gets at least 2-3 inches maybe more then move it outside we still get cold spurts here right now so I dont want to freeze it out
I was thinking once it got about 6 inches id transfer it to a 5 gallon bucket and other than some nuets let it do its thing outdoors

KBNINSTINC

Yes you need to make holes in the pots - how big are the pots? Don't worry about nutes for the moment - what kind of soil are you planning to use?
I was planning on using basic Miracle grow potting soil until i can get happy frog i think it was called unless thats a bad idea but the soil by me is mainly clay and rock so i figured that wouldn’t be a great idea these are the two pots i have i determined one per pot to get them going then transfer them to a 5 gallon bucket when they’re ready. I do have 5 holes drawn on the bottom of them dice formation

Yes. Commercially sold soil bags have been "cooked" or sterilized so they are safer to use indoors. Indoors there are no predators so whatever insect eggs that may be in the soil will have the ideal conditions to develop with no opposition. Outdoors it's a different story and a healthy ecosystem stabilizes itself and takes care of most pests.
I honestly didn’t think they would grow in clay soil. I can go dig a 2 foot hole and about 5 minutes later it will fill with water that’s why i was curious if i could use the outside clay soil from my yard. Is there a recipe i can make nuets without buying name brand or other store bought nuets? I want to grow each seed differently and see how they grow and which would be better

revegeta666

I wouldn't use clay. Especially if it's your first few times, I'd buy soil and nutes specific for cannabis. Cheapest brands as simple a nutrient line as possible. Then once you're a little used to growing I would be looking to introduce cheaper and better products and leave the specific nutes behind. Most of them have outrageously inflated prices and can be substituted for generic gardening products.

But there are so many ways to mess up a grow I would eliminate the mute/soil variables for the first few grows.

KBNINSTINC

Okay so
I wouldn't use clay. Especially if it's your first few times, I'd buy soil and nutes specific for cannabis. Cheapest brands as simple a nutrient line as possible. Then once you're a little used to growing I would be looking to introduce cheaper and better products and leave the specific nutes behind. Most of them have outrageously inflated prices and can be substituted for generic gardening products.

But there are so many ways to mess up a grow I would eliminate the mute/soil variables for the first few grows.
Okay so should i just stick with the miracle grow soil? Then buy a cheap fox farms nuet kit?

revegeta666

Okay so

Okay so should i just stick with the miracle grow soil? Then buy a cheap fox farms nuet kit?
I don't know those brands, I am in Europe. I personally would go with biobizz light mix + the 3 pack, if that's available in your area. Easy to use and more or less organic.

Rodehazrd

I used the three pack FF nutrients my first time simple and effective.
Miracle grow is good for several week with just water. Then no more than half strength nutrients
Keep it simple you’ll get a good result
You in red clay?
Hazard

Latest posts

Latest posts