What's new

Please help Mini split will not blow cool air

poohdo

I have just turned on my GE AS1CD12 12k mini split after I had a hvac guy come hook it up this fall. I did not think I would have to use it but its got a lil warm here and I turned it on for the first time since I had it hooked up, Room is full now so I cant really call a service dude over. I got out the booklet to make sure all wires were in the right places and they are low voltage wire to 1~1, 2~2, 3~3,4~4 and highvoltage to right spot and all that. Both inside unit and outside unit powers up and runs fine. I made sure it was set to "COOL" and put temp to 78 and its 85 in their all day with just a 400MH.The unit came pre charged and I made sure the lines were open and they were. The booklet said to pour a glass of water in the evaporator to make sure it drained ok and I did that and its ok..He also did the air purging in the line set. Please tell me I am over looking something small!

Happy New Year and Thanks in advance

T

trichy

more info

more info

Does the compressor come on or make any kind of "noise"? Does the inside unit seem to be working OK?

T

trichy

Don't know why my posts aren't showing up...

Check voltage at the compressor (outside) unit. If it is a 12Kbtu, it is probably 120V. Make sure you see 120V on the black wire going into the unit. If it is 220V then you should see two wires that have 120V on them. One of them may not be working. Give us a little more info on what's going on.

NorCalHal1

You say pre charged...In your booklet it should tell you how much of a "pre-charge" you have, it will say like 12' or 25'. You need to find out. Then, what is the length of your line set? The length from the condensor to the head unit.
If it is longer then what the "pre charge" is set for, then you will need to have more refidgerent added.

poohdo

Thanks Norcal for reading my question. I bought a 25ft line set with the brand new unit. We used about half of that.Its about 8ft high on a wall, straight out the back of the wall (say 2ft) and straight down (say 6ft) and 1.5-2ft to outdoor unit. All insulated lines used. I am not seeing how much charge was in this unit per the booklet I have.I would assume it would be charged enough for 12ft but I am no HVAC guy in any sort. Is their a way I can check how much is in it on my own?

Link to my booklet I have the AS1CD12
http://products.geappliances.com/Ma...Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=981130016.PDF

G

Guest 18340

How old is that unit? According to the literature it comes precharged with r22, which is odd since most made in the last few years came with r410.
Anyway, most all mini splits come with enough charge for a 25' line set. You bought 25 and cut it in half, so 12 1/2 ' is safe. HOWEVER, some manufactures state that if the line set is +/- 25' then refrigerant must be added/subtracted by a specific amount (usually according to the manufacturers specs)
Shortening the line set is the equivalent of over charging the system.
Is this whats wrong with your unit? I don't know because I can't find any specs on your unit...
Did it ever work?

poohdo

evlme2 the unit is 3-4 years old and has set in my garage covered up. The HVAC guy came hooked it all up this fall. This is the first time I ever tried to run it to cool.After he did the air purge. I was inside he was outside.I turned on the system and it was blowing air so I assumed like a dumb ass it was fine and threwhim a pease sign as I did not want him snooping anymore then he had to. Then I went ahead and put some gear in the room and now I need it to cool.. I guess I will have to have the room clean and call somebody back out. In the mean time can somebody point me to the best way to cool 4k lights (6' cool tubes) with the outside air (cold outside here now ) or attic air would be best for me as I am dealing with no windows and brick exterior. My thinking is pull the attic air with an 6 or 8in vortex through the lights and back into attic. Still being sealed kinda.

R

RedRain

without proper guages its gonna be a total crap shoot.

you may have developed a leak, or your system may be overcharged or under charged

feel the lines when they come out of the outdoor unit. when the machine is running the larger line should be cold, like a cold can of beer. the small line should be warm.

this is at least a start.

can you hear the compressor running? do you see the outside fan running?

is the filter on your indoor unit clean? is your indoor unit blowing air? what is the temperature of the air coming out of the indoor unit?

Also what temperature is it outside? Most mini split AC's will not work in the cold, you normally have to get a mini split heat pump to get it working in freezing temps. The mini split heatpump has a much lower operating temperature when in cooling mode.

poohdo

you may have developed a leak, or your system may be overcharged or under charged

feel the lines when they come out of the outdoor unit. when the machine is running the larger line should be cold, like a cold can of beer. the small line should be warm.

this is at least a start.

can you hear the compressor running? do you see the outside fan running?

is the filter on your indoor unit clean? is your indoor unit blowing air? what is the temperature of the air coming out of the indoor unit?

I guess a leak would be possible but not sure.
The machine has been running for 30 min again. The inside unit is blowing air that feels the same temp inside around 78 right now. The outsde Fan is running and the lines feel the same as the outside temp after I slide back some insulation.The filter is clean as the unit has been in a box. In the booklet it says "Normal operating sounds"

Sound of water flowing= refrigerant flowing inside....... I hear nothing of this.

Air being released is a design feature of dehu-ing water being processed inside the unit......I here nothing of this.

Clicking noise when you start or stop the unit,That the sound of expansion or contraction of the unit due to changes in the temp...... I here nothing of this eaither.

THX

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
always check your hvac BEFORE the guy leaves... idid this once on a different level paid 400 buck for install and he left i moved all the plants in and found out it wasnt hooked up right and was pretty fucked.... best luck to ya....

R

RedRain

I guess a leak would be possible but not sure.
The machine has been running for 30 min again. The inside unit is blowing air that feels the same temp inside around 78 right now. The outsde Fan is running and the lines feel the same as the outside temp after I slide back some insulation.The filter is clean as the unit has been in a box. In the booklet it says "Normal operating sounds"

Sound of water flowing= refrigerant flowing inside....... I hear nothing of this.

Air being released is a design feature of dehu-ing water being processed inside the unit......I here nothing of this.

Clicking noise when you start or stop the unit,That the sound of expansion or contraction of the unit due to changes in the temp...... I here nothing of this eaither.

THX

how cold is it outside where you are?

R

RedRain

it sounds like your compresor isnt starting...see if its drawing any amperage on the compressor wires

do you have a multimeter?

try to turn off the call for cooling and make a call for cooling again,,,stand at the outdoor unit and listen for the compressor to start or try to start...

grow nerd

Veteran
Any indication on the display of the indoor air handler?

How about things like: did you open the valve to the refrigerant lineset?

What kind of noises is it makig if any at all? Is the fan running on the outdoor unit? Compressor? Anything?

G

Guest 18340

Do you have any of the paper work that came with it? The spec sheet in particular. If so, look to see it's min/max ambient temp cooling or "low ambient cooling" or anything that tells you the minimum temp it has to be outside in order for it to cool. It should still cool at 62 degrees though...

poohdo

EVl/Red thx for sicking with me..I am leaning to the compresser is not kicking on for whatever reason.I hit the power wires on the outside unit and I am getting 115 volts thier with the wiggy.I called the HVAC guy who I had do it and told him what was going on (said it was doing this in October) and he says " Their must be something holding it back" and to let him know before I need it and he will come check it out,,, well I need it,(lol) but dont know him that well and its January and 25 out right now with a full room.I need to shut the 400 down and fire up at least 3k in their asap.EvL this is the closest thing I have to what your asking besides the manual and it don't have any specs like your asking in it.I did find out the outside unit is model AS0CD12AA0G1 but cant really find anymore then the manual I posted before.Red I just had the Mrs kick the indoor unit temp down 2degrees less then the room and I was outside. The fan kicked on outside and I can here click then a hum for about 3 seconds like its trying to do something and then kinda lets go if you will, then tries it again over and over.I am kicking myself in the ass now for a stupid mistake earlier and that shit won't happen again.The lineset paper I got says the outside unit brass valve should be 70-75 PSIG.

Grow nerd the indoor unit is working like it should and says when the outdoor unit comes on and all that. Just no cold air.

G

Guest 18340

I'm stumped brother.
Please though, if you get it worked out then post up what the issue was.:ying:

dunkydunk

If the compressor kicks on but won't stay running, then the line pressure is either too high or too low (probably too high, since the lineset was shortened), or the compressor is too cold to operate and the oil is all sludged in the bottom. Have daytime temps been above freezing and the unit still won't run? Some sensor somewhere is telling the compressor not to run as a fail safe.

Maybe Redrain can chime in here, he's all HVAC, but I'm guessing without the tools and the skills, you are going to need a technician to set things right.

dunkydunk

Never mind, I re-read your post and I see the unit doesn't run regardless of the temps. It must be a lineset charge problem, barring some random defect.

I still think your headed to HVAC Tech Time. Is the room collapsible enough to allow someone in? Tell them it's your climate controlled wine cellar or a server farm or some such?