What's new

Please help me to identify this bug! Stunted growth!!

plumbum

hi, i have tiny bugs living in my coco pots.. size around 1/2 mm.. i'm not sure what it is.. my plants showing signs of deficiency, yellowing of the leaves, stunted growth.. all symptoms pointing out to root aphids.. i was treating my coco by drenching it with azatrol, pyganic pro, botanigard, and bayer tree and shrub.. it didn't work. population is much smaller now, but it is still present.. i started to look more and compare pictures on a web and realized that it doesn't look like root aphid, but more like some sort of mite living in soil..

please help me to figure out what is it?! and how to get my plants healthy again!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• bug 1.jpg
    bug 1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 7
  • bug 2.jpg
    bug 2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
looks like a baby root aphid, before they get plump... but i could be wrong.... your camera must be the shit dude, what one is it?

where on the plant did you find that bastard?

plumbum

there are many of them crawling inside the medium (coco in my case).. still can't figure it out what is it?? drives me crazy! i actually took it with iphone through the 30x microscope

funkybud

definitly root aphids.what a closer look? fill a pail with azatrol mix,then submerge the potted plant in it. they'll come to the surface out of the mixture,they want nothing to do with it. smear some tanglefoot around the stem and top of plant pot to catch some of them trying to escape! this works with bayer tree and shrub,just did it last night to get rid of the bastards. the plants i did it to are early vedge plants.they destroyed my mothers,and now i'm trying to destroy them.

plumbum

Yesssss, Bayer tree and shrub, 14.99 at home depot.... apply once a week

Any info on that Cam bro?

desertsquirrel.. i did answer you earlier.. you just probably missed it.. it's iphone cam.. picture taken through carson magniscope 30x then some light photoshop resizing, sharpening.. ;)

as far as bayer tree and shrub, it helps, but doesn't kill them completely.. i'm in veg and i've been raising the concentration.. 5ml/gal... then 15ml/gal.. now i'm at 25ml/gal.. i use it continuously with my nutes.. but it doesn't help.. that's why i'm wondering what if is not a root aphid? something else?? are you 100% sure about it? seems like they don't have two exhaust pipes on their body?

plumbum

definitly root aphids.what a closer look? fill a pail with azatrol mix,then submerge the potted plant in it. they'll come to the surface out of the mixture,they want nothing to do with it. smear some tanglefoot around the stem and top of plant pot to catch some of them trying to escape! this works with bayer tree and shrub,just did it last night to get rid of the bastards. the plants i did it to are early vedge plants.they destroyed my mothers,and now i'm trying to destroy them.

funkybud, i will do the test you recommend as soon as pots dry out a bit.. they are not drinking that fast.. still sick :(

If it is a root aphid it is a baby, you should see some plumper (5-10X the size) darker ones that look like small ticks... they squirt blood when crushed...

Twohigh reccomened a H2o2 wash at as high as 10-30% pure H202, but i didnt have as good of results with that....

Also, the plants are sick? my problem is pretty well under control, but i havent see the aphids cause a huge ammount of trouble for the girls....

Maybe some more knowlagable guys will chime in soon....

plumbum

If it is a root aphid it is a baby, you should see some plumper (5-10X the size) darker ones that look like small ticks... they squirt blood when crushed...

Twohigh reccomened a H2o2 wash at as high as 10-30% pure H202, but i didnt have as good of results with that....

Also, the plants are sick? my problem is pretty well under control, but i havent see the aphids cause a huge ammount of trouble for the girls....

Maybe some more knowlagable guys will chime in soon....

the problem is that they don't get any bigger.. that's why i start to think that they might not be aphids... after all they have 4 pairs of legs, no exhaust pipes and stay small..

yeah man i have never seen aphids that at some point dont get plump... ill bump u here and hope twohigh or shroomy or someone who can help you out sees this.... Good luck man.

plumbum

thank you desertsquirrel for support! i hope i could get some help here to figure out what is that mysterious bug..

I gotta say my aphid problem that i thought was over, is showing signs of what looks like you have.... however your pic of them is better then my naked eye can see my own LOL. Im seeing very little blow back to the plant health but i kill everytime i see them....

Still no plump ones? are you maybe killing before they can mature?

one more bumb.

GL

F. Dupp

Veteran
I have used predatory mites before, and they were that reddish color. I never saw one magnified though. Are they moving fast? I remember the predator mites were fairly quick for their size. Much faster than a spider mite.

The gnat larvie will raise your PH, which could cause your defecency... however you would notice the ph swing (hard up). ALso you would see the larvie which look like small maggots...

Again i have both problems in my room (both mostly undercontrol) but im seeing little if any blowback to plant health..... I dont think this is your issue..... Snap some plant pics if you can.

plumbum

F. Dupp.. those mites were moving really fast.. way quicker then spider mites.. so maybe it's them..
desertsquirrel, i will take some pictures later to show what happens to the leaves.. interesting thought on ph swing from larvae.. i've seen it before together with this possibly mites.. but they are gone now.. bayer three and shrub and pyganic took care of them.. interesting enough my deficiencies don't get any better.. i can't monitor ph in coco since i drain to waist..