What's new

Please help identify this bug!!

G

greenmatter

It's a springtail. Mostly Harmless.

if they are jumping you are right ....very good call! i still see thrip when i look at that pic ..... what are you seeing that i don't ? teach me Kcar

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn someone has PMS today and it's not Ziltoid! :bigeye:

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
See those two little antenna sticking out sideways? Also, thrips stay on the leaves.
Springtails are always in the rez or medium.

Mosquito dunks don't do shit. SM-90 helps, but doesn't get rid of them.
I've learned to live with my new little buddies....

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i found a outbreak fo the same thing today in a soil pot

thought i had spring tail outbreak in the runoff but they didn't spring they didn't do shit

under a loop they were scary

here are some pictures

picture.php

consensus seems to be thrips but they were in the soil, no signs of them on the leaf yet

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Those are springtails, also.

picture.php

See how they're chubby with rounded antenna.

Thrips
picture.php

See how their body tapers back and they're antenna is straight.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran

picture.php

Thrips
picture.php

TYVM you are correct sir

after further investigation, because they acted like spring tails and i often get them when the warm weather comes, but have never had thrips i tried looking up images of spring tail larva, and that is indeed what they are

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/reader-questions/white-lice-in-my-worm-bin/

majortom9

They are most certainly springtails, for both of you guys. As far as them hurting your grow, they will, but only if they cant find any organic matter in your soil to eat. When they have no food, they will start to eat ya roots. I have them in my grow and am pretty sure that everything is ok, I only have maybe 3 weeks to go. I can flush my containers and several of them will be floating on top of the water. Kill em or not, I wouldn't worry too much about them.

majortom9

A good way to kill dirt pests is tobacco juice. If you can find some tobacco that isnt treated with 5000 different chems, even better. Put about 2 or 3 cigarettes worth of tobacco in a quart of boiling water and let it sit overnight. Use it at about 30 mls per gallon. This stuff will kill most all root pests even root aphids. It also kills the good criterz on the downside.

G

greenmatter

picture.php

Thrips
picture.php

thank you K ... cool pics. maybe the rule of thumb would be "if it has a pointed tail and does not jump it is a thrip". thanks for the class!!

ItGrows

Was going to jump in and say they are spingtails. Actually I think I did just jump in. Good luck killing them off. I have been using MD and I haven't seen any jumpers this week.

majortom9

About the tobacco juice hurting the roots, just don't overdo it. Go with the 30 ml per gallon and check in a couple days. If they are still there, up the dose a little, maybe 15 ml, but yea, im sure that too much of it cant be good for ya plants, but that goes with about everything sadly.

Latest posts

Latest posts