What's new

please help! can potency be different from grow to grow

robbiedublu

Curing properly can make a huge difference. I finished a sssdh and after drying and a short cure it was just mediocre. I got it back out a couple of months later and my brother in law and I smoked a few hits on the way out to dinner one night. We got so ripped our wives had to order for us. All we could do was sit there grinning like idiots. Cure it before you judge.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there is a great thread on here how to cure your buds. Its very good lots of info.

greek_mystique

Just to chime in, yes, you can have varying levels of potency depending on a number of often unidentifiable factors. The nitrogen overload would certainly have an effect overall on yield but potency would be less clear. The 78 day pic definitely looks overloaded but still way underdeveloped. With the 35 day I can see where your confusion is coming from, it looks like a different plant! I've seen something like this in the past when people change nutrients or stick something new in there, and there can be large changes in morphology as a result.

I notice that you said you got the seeds from various places and what I'm really guessing is just that the genetics are so far removed that they're essentially bunk and that you can't fix. Were they Serious Seeds packages or something else? It's true the older AK is a bit different, but the newer one should still have a minimum average potency. But the pics really say it, whatever you do have just isn't performing. If your after that old school punch I'd probably go towards something from the white family from a reputable breeder or maybe something from the blueberry line, or a lemon skunk. Unfortunately, you've got to bite the bullet this time!

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to put so much weight on nature over nurture (genes VS environment) that I thought the worst that could happen with good genes was that a person would grow a very small quantity of 'fire', but that the genes would still take care of the final potency and taste. Now, after coaching other peoples grows online and in my area for the last 8 years, I'm ready to revise my position. I've actually witnessed with my own eyes, a grow that was so stressed that potency suffered as well. The upside is, if you just remove some of those stresses, your bound to get that small quantity of 'fire'. Continue to remove stresses, and yield will go up and up.

bobman

well I pulled them Tuesday night. I pulled a piece off Wednesday night and dried on the back of my monitor for about an hour. To no surprise it was easier to smoke and I did get more of an affect but still lacking. It reminded me of smoking swag 25 years ago and it lasted a good hour and half, but the swag i got 25 years ago was not that special. I do not have as high of a tolerance as I used to either. I only smoke occasionally now.

Mr. greengenes- I always assumed the whole nature vs nurture thing as well from my experiences. I really really hope that the nitrogen and extended flowering time did in the potency. I started flushing them 2-3 weeks ago and they were just limping their way home. Even though parts of the plants looked very promising overall the plants just did not look right. I have a ray of hope because the better the sample looked the stronger it is so I am hoping a proper grow with no hiccups will produce something special. Maybe but its hard to shake that whole nature vs nurture belief.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you make some bubble or oil and it does not do it for ya. Then ya something got screwed up. I can usually tell by the way it looks/smells if it's real good/good/schwag.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Try decarbing fresh bud, as most of the thc will still be in the non-psychoactive thca form.

Exactly. No herb will get you high if you just pull it off the plant and smoke it without drying it first. The THC becomes THC through the drying process. If you smoke it before that, you are just smoking THCA, which doesn't get you high.