What's new

Please Help! 1st real decent grow startng to go sour... fast

Stoneur

My girl's leaves are starting to get droopy really fast. The tips are burnt because of ventilation/heat issues that I think I fixed. Please take a look and tell me what you think.

How long has this problem been going on? about 3 days

What STRAIN are you growing? don't know (bagseed)

What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) seed

What is the age of your plants? 1 month

How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now? 1 month

How Tall are the plants? about 12"

What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? veg (almost flowering)

What Technique are you using? huh?

What size pots are you using? about 3 gallon

What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?) Miracle Grow 'feeds up to 3 months' potting soil

What Nutrient's are you using? none, except for what is in the soil

How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? n/a

How often are you feeding? n/a

If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients? probably start next week

What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect) n/a

What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?n/a

What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"? haven't tested yet, don't have strips.

What method of pH test was administered? n/a

How often are you watering? about every 3 days

When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding? evening of the 24th, just plain distilled water until it came out bottom holes.

What size bulb are you using? 1 cfl 6500k 1700 lumens 26w, also 1 cfl 2700k 2100 lumens 42w, and 1 cfl 2700k 3900 lumens 65w

What is the distance to the canopy?10-12"

What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity) about 40%

What is the canopy temperature?about 82

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range) 82-90 no night yet. It did make it above 100 (for 30 min at most) when I got the 3900 lumen cfl the other day, so I worked on the ventilation and now its 82-90

What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) 500 cfm i think...

Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running? fans are always on. Intake is on the bottom right of box exhaust is on top left of box.

Is the fan blowing directly at plants? no

Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? moist

Is your water HARD or SOFT? dont know

What water are you using? Distilled water

Are you using water from a water softener? no

Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? no. I haven't pruned or cloned from this plant

Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? no

Are plant's infected with pest's? no

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stoneur

Feed the poor thing....!
I just did, I gave it about a gallon of water with 1/4 tsp Miracle Grow all purpose plant food (15-30-15). Do you think that would be good enough? I don't want to give it too much food because I don't know how much of the original nutes are still in the soil.

Thanks for the reply.

WeedChuck

no, that prob wont be your best bet , If your in veg and have to use mg use the 30-10-`10. and 1/4 per gal is a pretty low ratio. the orig nutes in your soil arent going to be enough to sustain a healty fast growing MJ plant.

Stoneur

1 Gallon of water is too much, try about half that or less...
Shiat, I gave it 3/4 of a gallon already. But that is a LOT more than I normally water. I gave it that much because the leaves felt pretty dry. I usually give it about a quart to a quart and a half every 2-3 days or when the pot feels light.

E

EvilTwin

Hi Stoneur...
I suspect Weedchuck's comment was based on the color of the new growth which is lighter green. Could be true. Might be time to add some nutes but go easy.

You didn't say anything about perlite in the soil. Marijuana likes slightly acidic and well draining soil. Are you letting it dry out a bit before watering again? It's good for the root zone to go through a wet/dry cycle.

Distilled water isn't best for plant growing. It has no micro-nutrients. How bad is your tap water? You can tell somewhat by how cloudy your ice cubes are. Why don't you mix in 50% tap water. If you take a sample of your tap water in to the Culligan store...they can test it for you.

Overwatering can cause droopiness as can underwatering so pay attention to how much the pot weighs. You can guage wetness that way.
ET

limey

I see no major issues here - am i missing something? Leaves look a healthy colour to me. Ridges on the leaves though which suggests the plants are trying to lose water (which indicates they are over fed or over watered, normally, or the humidity is too high, or all of the above)

agreed with ^ that you need to check the pH, it's very important as it can lead to all sorts of primary and secondary issues

With all that watering you should have flushed out any salting problems ; go easy on more nutes for a while. Your burnt tips could just as well be over nutrient as lack of nutrients.

Dont water them for a bit, it's very easy to over water in soil.

Don't panic!

Make sure you are venting properly so that the humitity is low enough for the plants to transpire off. Is there a fan blowing on the plants? do this if you can, to help them along (low speed)

Leave em to dry off a bit and start feeding them alternate waterings (your 2-3 day regime sounds right to me), with low doses of nutrients (about half of what the manufacturer recommends is my rule of thumb).

they'll be fine!

Stoneur

Hi Stoneur...
I suspect Weedchuck's comment was based on the color of the new growth which is lighter green. Could be true. Might be time to add some nutes but go easy.

You didn't say anything about perlite in the soil. Marijuana likes slightly acidic and well draining soil. Are you letting it dry out a bit before watering again? It's good for the root zone to go through a wet/dry cycle.

Distilled water isn't best for plant growing. It has no micro-nutrients. How bad is your tap water? You can tell somewhat by how cloudy your ice cubes are. Why don't you mix in 50% tap water. If you take a sample of your tap water in to the Culligan store...they can test it for you.

Overwatering can cause droopiness as can underwatering so pay attention to how much the pot weighs. You can guage wetness that way.
ET

I was thinking the same thing about the original nutes in the soil (that it's running low) but I am not sure so I gave it a low amount of food. My tap water is ok I think (my ice cubes aren't that cloudy). About the perlite, I haven't added any to the soil but I know there is some in it. I am gauging the wetness of the soil by weight.

Thanks for the info.

WeedChuck

well the new growth seems to look a bit light. I dont know if anyone caught this but,you say there (almost flowering) . if there switching cycles right now that may be the new growth coming from the strech. It tends to be a bit lighter at first. Hopefully the droop is because you just watered them. If they are about to stretch, it might be good to give them at least one good feed of N.

Stoneur

I see no major issues here - am i missing something? Leaves look a healthy colour to me. Ridges on the leaves though which suggests the plants are trying to lose water (which indicates they are over fed or over watered, normally, or the humidity is too high, or all of the above)

agreed with ^ that you need to check the pH, it's very important as it can lead to all sorts of primary and secondary issues

With all that watering you should have flushed out any salting problems ; go easy on more nutes for a while. Your burnt tips could just as well be over nutrient as lack of nutrients.

Dont water them for a bit, it's very easy to over water in soil.

Don't panic!

Make sure you are venting properly so that the humitity is low enough for the plants to transpire off. Is there a fan blowing on the plants? do this if you can, to help them along (low speed)

Leave em to dry off a bit and start feeding them alternate waterings (your 2-3 day regime sounds right to me), with low doses of nutrients (about half of what the manufacturer recommends is my rule of thumb).

they'll be fine!
Thanks for the info limey, I am probably watering a bit too much. I did water a lot today to try to flush it out. Anyways, I'll get a testing kit now and post the results as soon as I know.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sure you need to check your water pH,but I can see in the pics that strange curling especially on the top leaves.
I'm having the same strange curl on my babies(http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=140553) and i'm fighting it raising RH as high as I can.
An high % of N in the plant(the dark green of your leaves) with low RH in the air could be the cause of burned tips.
Sure I can say to check RH everyday and increase it looking if the baby start to normalize.

Stoneur

well the new growth seems to look a bit light. I dont know if anyone caught this but,you say there (almost flowering) . if there switching cycles right now that may be the new growth coming from the strech. It tends to be a bit lighter at first. Hopefully the droop is because you just watered them. If they are about to stretch, it might be good to give them at least one good feed of N.
I think it's ready to start the flowering cycle, it just told me sunday that it is a female. I have been on 24/0 since planting it. I want to go to 20/4 but I need to light tight my box. Can I start flowering even with this problem?

Stoneur

trust me on tis.....dont put to 12/12 till all light leaks are FIXED,or you will be disappointed!!!

Sorry, I wasn't clear on my last post. I am not changing the light cycle until the box is light tight. I was wondering if I can start flowering even with the problem the plant is having.

Latest posts

Latest posts