What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Playing music to your plants?

P

purpledomgoddes

soundwaves affect everything.
there was doctor scientists that found cancer has crystilline type structure that could be shattered at right (resoanant) frequency.
not only do soundwaves affect plants - behavior does too.
was experiment done w/ monitors connected to plants in room. scientist enters room for several days w/ moderate/no reaction from plants. scientist culls a plant in the group.
upon enrty into room following culling, plants have sharp electo-chemical reaction.
from thousands of beats per sec to square/triangle waves, harmonics, etc.
observe closely over range of music/soundwaves/chords to see if effect can be measured.
accompany w/ aromatherapy. essential oils are relaxing to humans. relaxed (non-tense/non-stress over garden whlie in garden) tone, in general, would seem to foster (deliver kinetic energy of positive conscienceness) to overall garden/setting.

example: if human is in room w/ no emotional/physical stresses alone, probability is high that temperate mood will continue.
if second human enters room w/ emotional/physical stress exhibited, first (control) human will probably sense the kinetic energy (aura/presence/countenance) of the emotionally/physically stressed human. depending on will (vigor/volition) of human, may/may not be susceptible to emotionally/physically stressed mood/tone.
likewise w/ pets/cohabitants/etc.
after tending to vegetables (living, very environmentally co-dependent/sensitive organisms) daily for weeks/months/years on end, is it not possible that plants can/do sense overall mood/tone of setting+are equiped w/ actual physical capabilities to sense human intent/mood/tone/thoughts...?

Last edited:
I played a mixture of classical and light jazz 24/7. Also soothing talk radio like NPR occassionly. Theory was soothing sounds leads to happier, less stressful plants. The plants seemed to like it.

P

purpledomgoddes

text on this+many other experiments: secret life of plants.
range of reference material(s)+range of alternative experiment/historical data.

Last edited:

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
Cannabis Prefers Led Zeppelin !!

Kickass!

I think the music played, will effect the outcome of the final product.

It would be really cool to setup a controoled environment and try two totally different music vibes, Lets say classical and death metal. Or something to that effect, on the same cut. I wonder if the buzz in the final product will invoke the mood of the music played.

L

LolaGal

They did experiments on MythBusters that were pretty cool! Check them out....

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought I watched a show on the Discovery channel or something about classical music being best for plants and showed that they did develop better.

L

LolaGal

I played em some Barry Manilow & they uprooted themselves and crawled out of the house.......:D

UncleBuck

funny I was just thinking about this... plants like classical the best... I have worked in greenhouse facilities larger than most here will likely ever see, breeders included... we had the music going 24/7, generally classical or soft stuff... I even had a senior who showed me a little machine he got from commercial potato growers... it's a box thats plumbed onto the water main & it "injects" the same range of soundwaves into the water main thats most common to classical music... a bit excessive in my opinion, but the potato growers swear by it!

DR.Green.Thumb

Right i am now in the last week of veg and I have just linked up quite a nice stereo on the floor out side my grow tent. I am just going to play them reggie.

I have 8 Great White Sharks 6 Opium's from paradise seeds and 1 Himalaya gold All strains i have not grown before so i will not be able to see if the music helps. But i am thinking it will.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Secret life of plants, the studies said of all the various Experiments that they performed ( at harvard?). Indian Classical ( with sitar i believe ) was the clear winner. Also someone was able to reverse the generations ( dont quote me ) on a morning glory and cause it to grow several species on one vine which grew different colors in every room of there house.
I think it was documented in the Guiness book of world records as well.

But like i said its been about 15 years since i read that book, i just ordered it again, i will confirm what they said.
But i thought the episode on mythbusters was kinda neat , getting ready to install some surround sound :)

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
If I remember correctly, I thought that hip hop was the clear winner on Mythbusters vs. classical music. I still play both types of music to my plants, though.

orpanic

pretty sure it was metal...but
I think if you play music you enjoy, then when you go in there, you get positive vibes from it, which in turn spread to the plants....? I also like classical.
maybe play some dead, let it grow.

Helis

I play music for my ladies! Often it is Classical, Dubstep, or Math/Virtuoso Rock (Ywinge, The Fucking Champs). It is a benefit to me when I am around them and I can't say that they complain!
I believe in the fact that audio patterns have a strong affect on our brains... I have seen experiments that lead me to believe music can rework how you think/act and I do not see why this would not extend to plants, as they are alive as well. I have a friend who disagrees with this because plants cannot hear, but that's such simple stoner talk, music is energy and energy is good for living things...

B

Brazilianfire

Playin the song "universal tribulation" by gregory isaacs! :) Rasta for life mi brethren.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
All right dammit I am going right now to find a radio to put in there, all good arguments for and not a word against, rare thing around here :)

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^

I've been playing 70's, 80's classic rock, smooth jazz, blue ect.. for my girls and i think they love it because i love it :D

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Somebody already mentioned this. But, it has to do with frequenicies that birds make that signal the stomata to open in preparation for photosynthesis to begin. I forgot where I read the article and don't know if it's totally accurate, but it makes sense in evolutionary terms.

ToughGirl

Did you ever see 'Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams'? Jimmy the Genius only played classical music. And if Jimmy says it, I believe it! He invented electric weed for god's sake!! :):)

Attachments

• weird jimmy.JPG
    weird jimmy.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 8

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Somebody already mentioned this. But, it has to do with frequenicies that birds make that signal the stomata to open in preparation for photosynthesis to begin. I forgot where I read the article and don't know if it's totally accurate, but it makes sense in evolutionary terms.

Yeah i remember from the book secret life of plants.
A farmer put his plants in sawdust and only fed them through foliar while playing bird sounds.
I think they outperformed the regular fed through the soil plants.

There were a few scientific studies done and here are the results:

If you play Whitney Houston C.D's all day your plants will hate you and become crack fiends.

If you play Country music to your plants they will get sad, depressed and lonely over time and miss their ex-lovers.

Gangsta Rap will cause the plants to have turf wars and they will fight over space to grow in because they want their bud to be the best sold on the block.

All boy bands (N-sync, Backstreet Boys, etc..) will cause all your plants to hermy in your grow and you'll have a mixture of female, male, and tranny plants growing.

Reggae music wants all your plants to be happy, full of T.H.C and grow to their fullest.

Any Miley Cyrus, (Hannah Montana), or disney music will cause all your plants to stay in a young vegetative state forever and never flower.

Christian music or gospel will cause your plants to believe that they have to be "baptized" first before you can chop them down. All plants can not reach salvation without being baptized first and you will be committing a sin!

Rock or heavy metal music will cause your ladies to grow full at a young age and become groupies.

Lastly, any Celine Dion or Barbara Streisand music will cause all your plants to kill themselves. (Nothing you can do about this)

Latest posts

Latest posts