What's new

plastics solution?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
an article today on "ScienceAlert" says that researchers have created an enzyme that reduces the time required to break plastic down from decades to less than 24 hours. also articles on Forbes.com & theguardian.com, if you can't find sciencealert...could be a game-changer if true.:bow::bow::bow:

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I know they had something that could digest plastics a little while ago, but 24 hours is crazy.

The real game is then processing the microlife. Perhaps for oil.
processing it for fuel would be a real plus, but just getting rid of it instead of filling landfills or dumping it in the water is a win. i wish they would just totally ban any plastic that cannot be recycled, and make it mandatory that it BE recycled. if we have to go the deposit route like we used to do with soda bottles, i'm okay with that too.

Reactions: Gry

armedoldhippy

Veteran
and while i'm in bitch-mode, let me give you my opinion on those damned plastic grocery bags that you see hanging on bushes & tree branches every damn where you look...Food City here WAS recycling them, but have gotten rid of their drums we used to put them in...bastards. my wife says that WalMart still takes them. i'd rather bite my fucking tongue off than go there or say anything at all good about them, but...:wallbash:

Reactions: Gry

troutman

Seed Whore
I recycle the old fashion way if I can. I use fire. Tonight, I had 1 1/2 bags of mostly paper and plastic wrapping
from food items. Took 20 minutes to burn most of it and now I have less than a 1/4 bag of stuff that wouldn't
burn well.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I drink from plastic bottles or plastic pipes. It's an impossible choice.
read a report a while back that literally dozens of bottled "spring water" brands are actually straight out of a tap, and run through a Brita filter or something similar in order to remove the chlorine taste. so, out of a plastic pipe , through a filter, and into a plastic bottle. sounds lovely! YUM! :unsure: :noway:

Gry

Veteran
read a report a while back that literally dozens of bottled "spring water" brands are actually straight out of a tap, and run through a Brita filter or something similar in order to remove the chlorine taste. so, out of a plastic pipe , through a filter, and into a plastic bottle. sounds lovely! YUM! :unsure:
Rough being in drought hit area and learning the water " bottlers" don't ever slow down, drought or not.

mexweed

Veteran
Microplastics probably get inhaled even from volcano bags, things like friction from buds rubbing against a baggie or one of the legal recreational bud containers, or better yet those bags and containers already have microplastics on them from manufacturing

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Sounds interesting but to what is that plastic digested to? If its co2 then i don't think thats a solution for these days.
Also turning plastic into fuel is not a good idea imo. We should say good by to fossile energy and recycling plastic to fuel is still dug up carbon added to the system.

RobertFripp

They should use hemp to make plastic. Its stronger than oil derived plastic, is biodegradable, and is sustainable.

They could also use hemp to make automobile bodies. Its lighter, and 10x stronger than steele, and is biodegradable and sustainable. Henry Ford made an all hemp car in the 30s, or 40s. Jay Leno has a buddy that built a prototype car 4 years ago, and it showed them hitting it with a sledge hammer, and it didnt scratch, or dent it. I just bounced off.

buzzmobile

Veteran
They could also use hemp to make automobile bodies. Its lighter, and 10x stronger than steele, and is biodegradable and sustainable. Henry Ford made an all hemp car in the 30s, or 40s. Jay Leno has a buddy that built a prototype car 4 years ago, and it showed them hitting it with a sledge hammer, and it didnt scratch, or dent it. I just bounced off.
Hemp was used but it was not an all hemp car. Soybeans were the main constituent of Ford's plastic panels. The clip showing Ford striking the trunk of the car is the same kind described in the article from The Henry Ford.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Sounds like another bio weapon to me. Spray this from an aeroplane or two over your enemy and watch the chaos.

Three Berries

I don't see how burying plastic in a landfill is bad. It's a great way to capture carbon. We spend $Billions$ trying to develop a good way to pump CO2 into the ground for carbon storage when we are already doing it every day 24/7 with landfills......

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I don't see how burying plastic in a landfill is bad. It's a great way to capture carbon. We spend $Billions$ trying to develop a good way to pump CO2 into the ground for carbon storage when we are already doing it every day 24/7 with landfills......
Because we have learnd that that shit breaks down, gets sucked up by nature and finally ends in our body.
If we could turn the plastic into a more stable form like use it as filling in cementblocks than it would be a good way to store co2.

Three Berries

Because we have learnd that that shit breaks down, gets sucked up by nature and finally ends in our body.
If we could turn the plastic into a more stable form like use it as filling in cementblocks than it would be a good way to store co2.
Sounds like poor landfill practices much like what ends up in the ocean. How much more stable can you be buried under multiple layers and contained with a liner?

And what stops plastic that is exposed when in use from breaking down and being released into the atmosphere?

St. Phatty

When it is buried, it is mostly inert.

It's when it's in the sun that it breaks down into individual plastic molecules.

Since Western culture has a huge appetite for common plastics like PETE and HDPE, that we bury that plastic - and then turn around and destroy the environment and murder our neighbors, to make some more - simply shows how stupid Greedy Selfish & Psychopathic Western culture is.

Every pound of re-usable thermoplastic that is buried instead of re-used simply screams loudly about the Temporariness of Western culture.