What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

plants under coral leds?

-maui-

So I got a Reef tank LED fixture about 220 w, programmable light temps, timer, time course changes sunrise/dawn. it has far red and uv build in. Its has more power than needed in the shorter wavelength i guess, so reducing the purple and blue parts the watt output will be lower.
But in theory I got a light i could providing the ideal spectra for the plant at any grow stage.
The problem is I don't have much clue where these ideals are.
Are there any conclusions on how much ultra violet makes sense, and when to start? Has anyone any insights or theories about ideal light cycles? Does slow turning on and off morning and evening makes any sense? Or changing spectra over course of the day? What to do with these far red?
Anyone wants to share their oppinion is welcome!
-maui-

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Aloha Maui. My suggestion is that you give those lights a shot and see how a few plants fare from germination through to flowering, or at least until vegetative growth is sufficient for a transplant outdoors.

You could plant some bag-seed weed and evaluate the lights for the initial test, and once you are satisfied that growth is normal, then you can shell out to buy some nice Maui Wowie seeds for your toking plerasure.

-maui-

Aloha Swamp Thang ! I'll give it a go for sure. No shortage on test beans, not maui wowie for now but other sativas. I should squeeze 100-150 W of usefull light out of it i think. I could supplement with screw in led bulbs if i'm lacking red tones.
I don't have far red i think, just red. 7 channels I can mix, looks like first pic.
Someone on the internet kindly mesured this spectrum with same light, all channels cranked up 100%.

Attachments

• leds.jpg
    leds.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 100percspec.jpg
    100percspec.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 27

greyfader

Aloha Swamp Thang ! I'll give it a go for sure. No shortage on test beans, not maui wowie for now but other sativas. I should squeeze 100-150 W of usefull light out of it i think. I could supplement with screw in led bulbs if i'm lacking red tones.
I don't have far red i think, just red. 7 channels I can mix, looks like first pic.
Someone on the internet kindly mesured this spectrum with same light, all channels cranked up 100%.
howdy. maui! the light is an excellent veg light. you could use it up until the end of stretch and it will make compact plants with a high node count. but, it has way too much blue for flowering. if used in flower it will produce dank but small flowers because it is lacking much of the red spectrum.

you mentioned screw-in LED bulbs and that is what I use. In the vegetative stage I run 5000k, and at the end of stretch or the end of the third week of flower, I remove those and switch to 2700k bulbs with incandescent.

in your case I would not run the aquarium light at all in flower because there is so much blue that you will not be able to offset the B/R ratio enough to get decent flower expansion.

here are a couple of pics of my latest plant grown this way. here is the spectrum that grew it in the flowering stage. it shows a 2700k warm white LED overlaid with a tungsten incandescent. you can see where the incandescent has some significant UV and adds large proportions of dark red and far-red.

Attachments

• IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 28
  • my graph.JPG
    my graph.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Rocket Soul

howdy. maui! the light is an excellent veg light. you could use it up until the end of stretch and it will make compact plants with a high node count. but, it has way too much blue for flowering. if used in flower it will produce dank but small flowers because it is lacking much of the red spectrum.

you mentioned screw-in LED bulbs and that is what I use. In the vegetative stage I run 5000k, and at the end of stretch or the end of the third week of flower, I remove those and switch to 2700k bulbs with incandescent.

in your case I would not run the aquarium light at all in flower because there is so much blue that you will not be able to offset the B/R ratio enough to get decent flower expansion.

here are a couple of pics of my latest plant grown this way. here is the spectrum that grew it in the flowering stage. it shows a 2700k warm white LED overlaid with a tungsten incandescent. you can see where the incandescent has some significant UV and adds large proportions of dark red and far-red.
I agree, this wont flower well. It has too much blue but on the otherhand the blue its got has some juicy parts that you dont get from standard white lights, sub 450nm blues. You can try as a veg light aswell but my suspicion is that it may still not be quite what youre after. This light needs a serious red leaning supplement for flower and probably vegg aswell. Or you could even see this light as just a blue supplement. As a main light i think ots rather limited for cannabis.

Edit: i still think it could be very interesting to include in a grow, the fact that you got all your blues on separate channels makes it very attractive to play with. If you ever want to diy around this light hit me up. Or even use it with some hps, it has everything that this light doesnt.

Last edited:

-maui-

Thanks for the replys! Brilliant Idea to include hps or tungsten to broaden the spectrum in the red.
I might even go with a combination of incandescent, 2700K and aquariumlight.

I do a bit of calculating and some more reading into uv and far red effects and then I'll hopefully showing some uv-toasted Zamadelica soon.

Attachments

• spec.jpg
    spec.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Latest posts