What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plants suddenly getting brown and yellow leaf

Thighland

Up until three days ago all these plants lookes very healthy. Then after being away I returned to find them looking stressed or deficienct or something.

As can be seen in the pics it's only happening to those in flower, the two just starting to flower are fine. The soil is like beach sand, but I have made a lot of amendments including Coco. The water is from tanks with Tilapia, which has been working very well up to know, however it can be high in N and I wonder if that could be an issue? I normally add kelp extract when watering. I am in Thailand and it's very hot everyday.

Resize_20240210_093416_6476.jpg

Resize_20240210_093233_3015.jpg

It's worse on plants with more advanced flowers
Resize_20240210_093417_7546.jpg

Plants just starting to flower look fine, just a little yellowing on lower sections
Resize_20240210_090856_6712.jpg
Resize_20240210_090853_3233.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Up until three days ago all these plants lookes very healthy. Then after being away I returned to find them looking stressed or deficienct or something.

As can be seen in the pics it's only happening to those in flower, the two just starting to flower are fine. The soil is like beach sand, but I have made a lot of amendments including Coco. The water is from tanks with Tilapia, which has been working very well up to know, however it can be high in N and I wonder if that could be an issue? I normally add kelp extract when watering. I am in Thailand and it's very hot everyday.

View attachment 18957827
View attachment 18957828

View attachment 18957826

Plants just starting to flower look fine, just a little yellowing on lower section
Your plant looks good for the most part. It looks like sun damage to me. Use some hay mulch around the plants to help hold the moisture longer. It will buffer the excess heat and help with water transpiration. I always add at least a couple of inches or more to all the outdoor plants. The best hay to use is alfalfa hay because it feeds the microbes. However, any hay or native grass will work.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
To me it looks more like a pathogen like leaf spot or something similar. It will just get worse from here if it's what I think it is. Good luck

led05

Chasing The Present
They're hungry,but why? I see hard K. Examine the roots closely when you crop.
too many variables to ascertain that without being in person over a period of time, watching to drill down - thus the best we can do is just observe what is wrong, communicate and then grower can make choices or not, suitable to them & their circumstances. The plants are deficient in many things both before and after pics, transpiration is an issue too, bugs also, the drivers behind that are likely numerous in nature.

a good foliar feed, some oil to smother insects, maybe some more breathable fabric to cover with, all good steps in the right direction

jackspratt61

too many variables to ascertain that without being in person over a period of time, watching to drill down - thus the best we can do is just observe what is wrong, communicate and then grower can make choices or not, suitable to them & their circumstances. The plants are deficient in many things both before and after pics, transpiration is an issue too, bugs also, the drivers behind that are likely numerous in nature.

a good foliar feed, some oil to smother insects, maybe some more breathable fabric to cover with, all good steps in the right direction
Yep. He's amended beach sand with various items including coco. Then adds kelp extract regularly. I would suspect high na and weak roots. Poor uptake.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Sorry for the delay friend and the miss information. I found what the problem is caused by. The problem is caused by excess water in the root zone. The root tips are dying underground from suffocation from lacking oxygen and it's showing up in the leaves. Give your plants more dry time between waterings to stop the leaf bronzing.

Thighland

Sorry for the delay friend and the miss information. I found what the problem is caused by. The problem is caused by excess water in the root zone. The root tips are dying underground from suffocation from lacking oxygen and it's showing up in the leaves. Give your plants more dry time between waterings to stop the leaf bronzing.
Thanks to everyone who offered help. Too much water seems to be the problem, it's affecting the flowering plant more because they're not on mounds.

My housekeeper tends to overwater and overfeed everything, including me. Even though I'd ask her not to, she was watering daily at the base of the plant. They are looking fine now after 5 days without water.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran

View attachment 18957827
View attachment 18957828

View attachment 18957826

Plants just starting to flower look fine, just a little yellowing on lower sections
View attachment 18957829 View attachment 18957830
Lots of mite activity.

I think the mites are taking over.

To slow them down, spray them with a clean sprayer, using a strong stream, at least 5 seconds per node, from inside and outside, working with gravity to spray off as many as possible.

You can add an insect deterrent to that to keep them from coming back as easily - boiled onion skins; worm tea; compost tea; manure tea are all good. A fermentation of sprouted hemp seeds/microgreens with raw sugar is the best. You should always add something to the water, otherwise it will leach nutrients from the leaves. If you add synthetic nutrients, use no more than 0.2 EC or 50ppm. This is not to feed the plant, just to counter the nutrient leaching effect of spraying.

Don't forget to spray the surrounding area as well.

Schedule: twice a day for 3 days, then once per week, then once every 2 weeks.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Lots of mite activity.

I think the mites are taking over.

To slow them down, spray them with a clean sprayer, using a strong stream, at least 5 seconds per node, from inside and outside, working with gravity to spray off as many as possible.

You can add an insect deterrent to that to keep them from coming back as easily - boiled onion skins; worm tea; compost tea; manure tea are all good. A fermentation of sprouted hemp seeds/microgreens with raw sugar is the best. You should always add something to the water, otherwise it will leach nutrients from the leaves. If you add synthetic nutrients, use no more than 0.2 EC or 50ppm. This is not to feed the plant, just to counter the nutrient leaching effect of spraying.

Don't forget to spray the surrounding area as well.

Schedule: twice a day for 3 days, then once per week, then once every 2 weeks.
Thanks for the post but he found what the problem was. Not bugs.

jackspratt61

Please show the comeback pics.
To look as posted after three days overwatering in sand/coco and thinking you had too much N seems odd.