What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plants prefer their kin, but crowd out competition when sharing a pot with strangers

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I use two different tray sizes, a 16" x 34" and 15" x 25". Both are filled about 4" with rockwool and 12 plants each.
I also grow plants in 3 gallon buckets for cloning, new clone mother every other grow then into the budroom she goes. The 3 gallon buckets grows almost fully twice as much per plant as the trays, its bigger and has no shade buddies. Even so, a 12 plant tray puts out 6 times as much. AND, (note caps) 2 buckets take up the same space as 1 tray. Now I am down to triple the yield per square foot over pots. Nothing needs tied down, the 12 main cola's per tray take less work than LST to get the same 12 buds and they are main stem colas, not off branches.

And yes I smoked back then, possibly some strains may have no THC, but that is uncommon, most did come in at about one twentieth the strength of today's weed. I think about that sometimes when I've had about 3 tokes and its stoning me good, this would take 60 to 70 hits of the old weed. I wouldn't be able to do it.

The USA's war on drugs gave us all the good pot we now smoke. When the grow's moved inside the cost of growing became so great research on stronger strains became cost effective, as bad pot costs just as much to grow as good pot. And although good drug pot was out there, the quantities and availablility did not come anywhere near matching the american appetite. Science stepped up to the plate and hit a homerun.

50 years ago just about everybody smoked hemp. And we liked it.

Frozenguy

Veteran
This has got me thinking a bit..

I've been wanting to switch to a try instead of individual pots. Now that I'm growing all one strain, I'm thinking this could be done without worry.

One tray, the roots will be able to spread out more and talk to each other and not be so lonely.