What's new

plants are still yellowing at 1800 tds wtf!

T

TREE KING

Too much K can affect the uptake of magnesium. Too much P can affect zinc, iron and copper. I do agree with the overfeeding sentiment.

http://www.totalgro.com/concepts.htm

but why wouldnt i be showing nitrogen deficiencies at this level? thats what has me scared to lower the nutes. just to point out once again i need to keep my moms at 1000 in veg to stay healthy and thats under a 400 mh. damn this would be alot easier to figure out if i didnt switch my medium to the pargros. im used to using the grodan cubes

Homebrewer

Veteran
but why wouldnt i be showing nitrogen deficiencies at this level? thats what has me scared to lower the nutes

What is the NPK value of the plant foods that you're using? Also, it would do you well to post some pics of your girls and their roots. I'd also be curious to see them 'green up' over a period of hours.

T

TREE KING

What is the NPK value of the plant foods that you're using? Also, it would do you well to post some pics of your girls and their roots. I'd also be curious to see them 'green up' over a period of hours.

damn i gotta see if i can find my camera. lights come on in 6 hours so im gonna see if i can find my camera and take some pics later on.

i cant tell you the npk value right now cause my nutes are in the grow room but im using advanced nutrients sensi 2 part bloom and big bud

G

Guest 150314

Too much K can affect the uptake of magnesium. Too much P can affect zinc, iron and copper. I do agree with the overfeeding sentiment.

http://www.totalgro.com/concepts.htm

Yeah your right to much potassium will lock out magnesium, my bad I mixed up the abbreviation. Thanks for the correction

Tree king

Nitrogen deficiency starts at the bottom of the plant with yellowing of the lower leafs, the new growth is sucking the nitrogen out of old growth. If the yellowing is on new growth you can rule out nitrogen deficiency completely.

I really think you need to flush your medium with no nutrients just cal mag, and check the run off and come back and let us know. When you are feeding as high as you are salt will build up in the medium and cause lockouts, all the salt will alter the ph of the medium.. so your input ph may be perfect but if you test run off you will see it can be off by a lot.

I reread the first post and flooding once a day in 4 inch rockwool cubes is a problem, at least flood again before lights out. I have a lot of experience with rockwool I used to be the gardener for over 50kw rockwool grow, these setups were 1 gal mesh bottom pots filled with rockwool flock and would always top feed for 10 seconds every 2 hours.. the bigger they grew the longer the feed up to a minute.

Feeding once a day in a 4inch rockwool cube is nowhere near enough in my opinion you want rockwool to always stay moist, i have to feed my plants in 7 gallons of dirt once a day when they are big and drinking a lot. we found that you want to feed a little bit as much as possible in rockwool for best results

The Bling

dude your ppm was WAY too high and you should flood way more often i bet the ph inside the cube after a day was like 6.5-6.6 i run 6x6 blocks and drip to waste every 2 hours the cube will stay wet for like a week if you don't water but the plants won't drink/eat unless they like the ph and anion cation balance.....dude ill have my max ppms at like 500-700 thats with additives. the true ppms of the N-P-K Mg-Ca S Si Fe Zn Cu it only 250 and I have explosive growth!!

T

TREE KING

Yeah your right to much potassium will lock out magnesium, my bad I mixed up the abbreviation. Thanks for the correction

Tree king

Nitrogen deficiency starts at the bottom of the plant with yellowing of the lower leafs, the new growth is sucking the nitrogen out of old growth. If the yellowing is on new growth you can rule out nitrogen deficiency completely.

I really think you need to flush your medium with no nutrients just cal mag, and check the run off and come back and let us know. When you are feeding as high as you are salt will build up in the medium and cause lockouts, all the salt will alter the ph of the medium.. so your input ph may be perfect but if you test run off you will see it can be off by a lot.

I reread the first post and flooding once a day in 4 inch rockwool cubes is a problem, at least flood again before lights out. I have a lot of experience with rockwool I used to be the gardener for over 50kw rockwool grow, these setups were 1 gal mesh bottom pots filled with rockwool flock and would always top feed for 10 seconds every 2 hours.. the bigger they grew the longer the feed up to a minute.

Feeding once a day in a 4inch rockwool cube is nowhere near enough in my opinion you want rockwool to always stay moist, i have to feed my plants in 7 gallons of dirt once a day when they are big and drinking a lot. we found that you want to feed a little bit as much as possible in rockwool for best results

o shit when you say too much potassium could this be the potasium silicate i added? guys im so sorry to leave this out cause i thought it didnt make a difference how much you put but im using barricade which is potasium silicate. to be totally honest i probably put in too much cause i thought it didnt mater. could this be the problem guys?

i got 2 hours till the lights come on so i gotta figure this out kind of quick

T

TREE KING

what do you think is it the potasium silicate? i got 40 min till the light turns on so it would be nice if i could get confirmation before then incase i gotta change the res. thanks guys

Homebrewer

Veteran
what do you think is it the potasium silicate? i got 40 min till the light turns on so it would be nice if i could get confirmation before then incase i gotta change the res. thanks guys

Personally, I don't think your issue is any one product in particular, but I do feel that the fix is a good 'leaching of the salts' from your medium and then a res made up of base nutes only at about 1.0 EC. Let your plants recover.

G

Guest 150314

everyone is telling you the same thing, ppm is way to high. check your run off first of all and then dump your rez and feed plain water + cal mag.. i bet the ph of your run off is 6.5-7 from all the salt build up

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
raising tds 200 a day isnt too much to cause this lockout your talking about. also lockout doesnt cause the rez tds to drop before top off. that means plants are eating like crazy. keep in mind yesterday my res was at 1800 then after i flooded, the next day the res was at 1750 before top off. pardon me while i pass out

yes it is...the normal feed charts say to raise 100-200ppm a week, not a day

ill give you 2 weeks before the plants are dead going the way you are going....and thats being generous

The Bling

just flush with ph'd water then mix up a legit mix bro

it could be the potassium silicate but just removing that from the mix won't balance out the enviro of the cubes especially not watering once a day.:comfort:

humble up and look what people are saying post your full mix and some pics

T

TREE KING

so guys i just wanna get this straight. im gonna change the res now anyway but you guys arent sure if its the potassium silicate by itself that causing this? this is very important for me to find out

if it is than all i have to do is minus that out and lower the tds. what im gonna do is change the res, not add barricade, and keep the tds at 1000 cause that what my moms are at and flood 3 times a day and see what happens. im gonna go change the res now il check in with you guys in a little while. once again im very grateful for the help

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
give it a full flush...your on drippers? let them run for 2-3 hours straight then start over at the ppm you want....if you dont get the salts out your medium now then just lowering the ferts wont do anything....maybe you will learn the hard way, we all do now and then

I grow mostly RDWC, so this is pretty much apples and oranges, and I'm reluctant to say anything more here because I'm no expert and you've likely been at it longer than I, but I recently decided to try FloraNova Bloom. Started with the Lucas ratio of 8 ml/g........to my absolute dismay, this put me at EC 2.7-2.8 starting with 28ppm water. Mind you this is on 3 foot tall, 3 foot round bushes 2 months into veg.

I was pretty incredulous, but that's what people do, so I did it. Sure as shit I started seeing the signs of iron and calcium deficiency. At first I tried to blame it on the mag drive pump since I was a tad stuck on the "this is what people do" thing...I added some CalMag+ and had the same issue....added more CalMag+ and had the same issue.

Finally, once I started pondering adding something else like silica to bolster stress response, I backed up, said fuck this, round filed the CalMag bottle and dropped down to 5.5 ml/g and EC 1.6. It worked.

In your situation, the flush first thing makes a lot of sense to me also. My fingers are crossed that if you back it off and feed more frequently it will work for you too.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you really need to hear what every1 is telling you.
i mean why even ask ?'s if you're not gonna follow advice.

T

TREE KING

you really need to hear what every1 is telling you.
i mean why even ask ?'s if you're not gonna follow advice.

cocktail frank i asked so i can find out what was causing the problem and im pretty sure i found that out. the potasium silicate locking out the mag. im still not 100% but it makes sense. its ok if we disagree on a thing or 2

T

TREE KING

wow i just looked at my res and it looks like theres a sheet of white sand surrounding the bottom of the res. this gotta be the silicate! ever since i saw this im now more confidant that the silicate is locking out the mag cause im pretty sure the res isnt supposed to look like that. it looks straight flooded. just to add the plants are yellowish like normal when the lights came on so im trying to change the res as quick as i can. ok i just changed the res and flooded them at 950. guys its all good to disagree on a thing or 2. i just dont think its a good idea to flush with plain water when there starving for mag. the last time i flushed my plants when they were in need of something i straight destroyed them. plants yellowed quickly and the tips got burned to a crisp. i never knew the tips from plants can get destroyed from not having enough nutes but thats what happen. luckely they were in veg and recovered after giving them stronger and stronger nutes every day. dont get my wrong though, if the plants were showing signs that they were getting too much nitrogen or too much of something then i would flush with plain water. i just dont like doing that if there in need of something. also the res is showing signs that the plants are taking in the nutes which is amazing to me. if the tds was going up after top off and not down then i would flush. now that i did that im gonna give them a foliar spray of cal mag. il check back in in a little while to let you know how things go. just a heads up im doing ebb n flow

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
LOL...no the sand at the bottom of your res is salts, lol....

can i ask how long you have been growing weed? how long indoors? outdoors?

i personally have been growing outdoors for over 15 years, and indoors for more than 8...and im sure theres a few ppl here that have been growing alot longer...

even i overfert sometimes....its your choice, its your plants, do as you want but in the end good or bad you will be the cause