What's new

Plant seeds indoors for 2022 outdoors.

St. Phatty

My Romberry crosses are getting bigger.

And my Sage & Sour crosses went 5 out of 7 so far.

I think one of the Romberry cross seedlings died because of Damp off.

UPDATE - as of Noon, they are noticeably BIGGER. The Sun is finally doing His-Her-its thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20100513_163836_2CS_ROMB2.jpg
    IMG_20100513_163836_2CS_ROMB2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I germinated my seed using Fox Farms Happy Frog and rainwater with no run-off. I will see if it will match Roots Organic and Ocean Forest potting mixes. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here is 7 days later from the last photo taken. Water only and Happy Frog potting mix. The RH is running a 38% and temps are 82f to move more water through plants and toughen up the leaf tissue. Looking good so far. 😎

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1889.JPG

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I ran out of space under this light and have to move them. The outdoor temps are running in the 100sf or 37s C every day and too hot for planting outdoors. When I do plant them I will have to use shade cloth. I have to get them strong and bigger before sending them off in the heat. When I have a tough plants I will move them outdoors. 😎
IMG_1933.JPG

revegeta666

I ran out of space under this light and have to move them. The outdoor temps are running in the 100sf or 37s C every day and too hot for planting outdoors. When I do plant them I will have to use shade cloth. I have to get them strong and bigger before sending them off in the heat. When I have a tough plants I will move them outdoors. 😎 View attachment 18725906
I am doing the same as you, starting my seedling indoors with similar temps outside. How much longer do you plan on grow them before exposing them to the heat?

St. Phatty

Today is the first 100 degree day in Southern Oregon.

Going to start out by wrapping the black pots in aluminum foil.

Putting together the tools to put about 200 square feet of aluminum foil on top of the chicken coop.

One of my neighbors killed all 8 of his birds by keeping them in the coop in the hot sun last year.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I am doing the same as you, starting my seedling indoors with similar temps outside. How much longer do you plan on grow them before exposing them to the heat When they get big enough to transpire enough water to stay alive. When the plant shows its flowers, it's time. In the past when I put out unsexed plants in the heat they didn't do too well. Plants can take a lot of heat when they plant is big and has shade.
I like to wait until the plants have a sex and are big enough to transpire enough water to stay alive.. When I put plants out before they were sexed in the past, I got mostly males. They will have to be shaded a lot in the beginning. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When planting outdoors in extremes it's important to have a few extra plants to test them out first. I'm taking a risk because I'm growing a cold-natured plant in extreme heat and going into the cold in a few months.. Since I sprouted a few extra plants, I will send a few out like Guinea Pigs now and test their heat tolerance and the environment. I will use them as means of testing to tell me what's needed before all the plants go out. When the test plant starts growing and becomes stable I will put the rest out following the same method. 😎
IMG_1938.JPG

St. Phatty

When it gets really hot, I wonder if that means the sun is shining brighter at ground level.

Like the atmosphere is clearer so more sunlight makes it to the ground and the plants.

I get a bit of exercise bucket-watering everything.

xet

When it gets really hot, I wonder if that means the sun is shining brighter at ground level.

Like the atmosphere is clearer so more sunlight makes it to the ground and the plants.

I get a bit of exercise bucket-watering everything.
Do you apply a thick covering to the base? And also how wide is that covering? I find the thicker the covering and the wider that covering, the less watering is required

St. Phatty

Do you apply a thick covering to the base? And also how wide is that covering? I find the thicker the covering and the wider that covering, the less watering is required

I agree. It's very important to show some TLC for the Root ball, so it doesn't get too hot or dry out.

Right now the Cannabis plants are near the house so I can water them a second time, around 2 PM.

But I should cover the dirt, you're right !

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Yes always use a lot of mulch when growing in hot temps outdoors. It keep the roots cooler and holds water in the ground longer plus it gives the microbes protection from the heat so they can do their job. 😎
IMG_4488.JPG

St. Phatty

It would help heat-wise if I put my plants in the ground.

BUT when they're on the deck, they are protected from the deer and the chickens.

And I'm TIRED of building animal fences.

Plus I think the plants on the decks are a little more protected from a grow-rip.

xet

It would help heat-wise if I put my plants in the ground.

BUT when they're on the deck, they are protected from the deer and the chickens.

And I'm TIRED of building animal fences.

Plus I think the plants on the decks are a little more protected from a grow-rip.
A covering even in a pot helps a bunch. The bacterial biomass explodes and the plants will show it.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I sent the first 2 plants outdoors and put them under a shrub to shade them from the Sun. Temps are in the 100s or 37C so I have to shade the pots too. On the second day, I move them out a few inches and by the third day, I give about 7 hrs of Sun. In the meantime, I have moved compost to the planting areas and mixed it with the soil to help hold moisture in the ground longer. 😎
IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I had to make myself portable shade clothe to block the hot 104f or 40C sun from burning my young plants. As a rule of thumb, all Fall plants should be planted between July 1 and July 15 to have well-formed flowers in the Fall. However, I don't remember it ever being this hot this early in the year.😎
IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

Reactions: xet

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The heat is getting worse than I have ever seen. Hitting triple digits "every day" 105F or 40.55C. The grass is dead and shrubs and small trees are turning crispy brown everywhere.

Ok I have let the plants have 7 days of partial Sun exposure to toughen the leaf tissue. With this heat, I have to use a different heat management strategy.

1. Did a hole where the plants are going to be growing for each pot. Water the bottom of the hole well to help keep the pots cooler longer.
2. Then bury the "pot and all" in the ground to help keep it extra cool. However just in case its too much heat, it can be removed quickly.
3. Mulch around the plants well to keep the plants moist and cooler.
4. Shade the plants with fabric during this hot spell.
When the plants are acclimated to the heat I can take the plants out of the pots and put them in the hole. Heres some photos. 😎

IMG_2028.JPG
IMG_2015.JPG
IMG_2014.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG

Latest posts

Latest posts