What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant sap testing

Was looking to buy a hydraulic plant press, but considered using a masticating juicer that removes all the pulp, yay or nay?

Also I recall seeing a guide from I believe AEA about what guidelines to follow regarding plant sap testing w pH, K, Ca, and N meters....anyone have those guides accessible? Can't seem to find them online....or any literature on the subject would be appreciated.

GHGrower

Why not just use a garlic press with a piece of muslin cloth in the bottom? All you need are a few drops for a refractometer.

I've tried a few different garlic presses and dislike how difficult it is to get anything, plus w the multitude of samples Ill be processing Id like somethig a little easier

W

wodi

Nutri tech solutions stock a press for plant sap extraction. Good quality heavy duty.

Yeah that press is most likely what I'm going to get, my buddy offered the juicer, thought it might not be a bad idea.

Thanks for that link! That's what I was after

odkin

Whoa- plant sap analysis and testing for brix are two entirely differing things. A simple set of vice grips or a garlic press are good for brix testing, but plant sap analysis requires something completely different, no?

milkyjoe

Veteran
Horiba meters use sap just like refractometers.

If you measure K on old and new leaves you will quickly find out what K should be just like Nova Crop Control. Then, in general, Ca = K is what you want.

pH should be 6.4 or a hair higher...it means you have enough base cations in the plant. I like this number better than brix.

edit...the nitrate meter may measure anions beside NO3...put some Epsom salt in soln in it and see if it does not read.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Check out the Gallagher Corporation, they have a product call the sledge-o-magic.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Im going to get the k meter though since it seems to be a regular problem in our soils being too high in it. I just sent off a new soil blend for testing hoping it comes back spot on....ill post up once its in. Thanks

milkyjoe

Veteran
So technically when you do this type of work you start by plotting a run chart. When you get enough data you use fancy statistics to calculate std deviation. Std d gives you how big of sample size you need for various confidence levels 95% is the standard used in 6 sigma work. Then you use design of expsriment.

I am at the graphing run chart data. It is a most excellent way to look really fucking stupid to give advise at this point.

Havind said that if you want a wild ass guess somewhere around 4000 ppm Ca. If your pH drops below 6.4 you lack base cations. If you do not see burnt edges on old leaves it is not K. If Ca below maybe 3k probably that...4 or above look to Mg

But I cannot say that with confidence yet...so proceed at your own risk

I have another theory if you wanna confirm some numers...I will pm you in a day or two

FatherEarth

Veteran
~

~

Thanks MJ.
Thats what I needed to know. If you need any help collecting data, please dont hesitate to ask. Ill contribute what ever I can to help get a protocol established and get some solid numbers. My first Ca test I did at a friends house on new growth shoots... Tested at 30ppm. So I assume 4000ppm is super high for new shoots since that is where Ca def will show first .. should new leaves be that high 3-4000ppm?

For the record: Personally when I ask a question online, and anyone answers. If I chose to use that info in my garden, I dont hold anyone responsible for what happens in my garden except me. If I was too lazy to double check to confirm if your answer was right and then something goes awry, thats what I deserve. Being unable is one thing. Being lazy and expecting to use another growers research and hard work to get instant results is deserving of failure. Thanks for the disclaimer though. Ive been searching for the answers and havent found anything definitive not even loosely. That helps me get at least a ballpark est..

I guess once your soil hits Albrecht numbers then you test sap levels that should be the baseline. Your thoughts on that?

milkyjoe

Veteran
Right now my indoor plants are at 83% Ca and 1.7% K. No sign of K def and Ca/Mg uptake is not hindered. I don't know how it will end but the plants look good now. Albion K on hand for foliar if I see any sign of K def...24% K vs 7 for phtk

milkyjoe

Veteran
It is a constant debate my different brain compartments have with each other.

You spend a yr working on something. You are no where near a conclusion. Do you share?

If you do find an answer...do you share or enjoy an advantage?

I believe life is 100% random events...so the karma argument is meaningless to me. On the other hand people return things and group knowledge builds on itself. What to do?

Latest posts

Latest posts