What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant number for 4x4 vert

finally going to try vert. Just wondering what would be the best number of plants to do in a 4x4 tent? i have 9 or 10 plants to choose from, all about 12" tall. i was thinking 8 but then maybe 6? I want to keep veg to a minimum, and if 8 is too many i can always prune to keep it in check.

this stain usually doubles in size during flower. What would be the optimum height for them with just a single 600W HPS?

Cheers

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I'd say it depends how aggressive you are in training. 2 levels worked for me when I was willing to maintain them.

depends on pot size also but I had good luck making about 3square foot trellis attached to 5 gallon buckets and I had 8 each on 2 levels of a 5x5, they did great.
I kept my filter/fan outside so the roof of the tent reflected great.

it was my 1st grow and I spent many hours on it. this is one of them. Chem D x Jack Herer.

picture.php

DONAJTHEIII

I got a room im about to flip its like 5X5X9.

height plays a big factor as well.

In my room I run 6 huge ladies attached to netting on the walls. check out Ichabod with his pvc screens marlo wow thread these guys know wassap.

In tents I like screens horizontally with lolipopped girls

you get nothing but main colas and premium nuggs this way and its really neat and clean.

just my 2 cents

AJAE

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great advice so far...

My 1st vert was a 400 in a 3x3 with 8 plants, 3 gal pots. Fit nicely.
I think with a 600 and some more space in the 4x4, 8 plants would be plenty.

Like these guys said, alot depends on how long u plan to veg, and how you plan to train these girls away from the light.

Heres my 1st vert using stakes to hold the plants in place

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Making a few screens like this would help you alot. You'd have a much more even canopy and the buds will stay in place. Light penetration would be greatly improved also. But you would have to go with less plants to fit in a 4x4. They work great, last for years, and are scalable to any size.

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Check out some of the stickies at the top of the vert forum. Lots of great info up there

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
......Or, you could throw a net up on those walls, and really make good use of that 4x4, and keep all your plants.

:biggrin:

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

:tiphat:

[/FONT]

DONAJTHEIII

......Or, you could throw a net up on those walls, and really make good use of that 4x4, and keep all your plants.

:biggrin:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

:tiphat:

[/FONT]

Marlo bro can you please check out my vert thread and respond to a couple of my questions your pics are legit and just wanted to get shit set before flip so the ladies dont get to crazy lol

your a G

AJAE

Gonna go with 8 plants using the plastic netting on the walls. Got 8 in there all around 12" tall and it seems to look like a good amount for now, time will tell..

Guess i'm gonna have to make some individual screens for the ones in front of the door

Thanks for replys

Peace

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
my last vert grow in a tent I did a tree in my 4x4 using an 18 gal Dwc tub with 2 600's flipped between 4 bulbs ala Heath.

picture.php

at flip

picture.php

about this point the corners were getting too crowded.

picture.php

as the buds got heavy they sagged creating enough room for me to drop a 1000W down into the middle and finish it off without the 600's.
the strain was bunk and it yielded 13 zips.

picture.php

Got screen up, all is looking very clean and somewhat professional looking compared with my usual grows. Already bare bulbing it now I see most people veg horizontally.. I can't really be bothered setting up reflector again, does it make a big difference or should it be ok? My strain is quite bushy so not worried if the go a little spindly

12 inches tall as of now ill probably flip at 2.5' or 3 weeks into veg, whatever happens first...

DONAJTHEIII

Got screen up, all is looking very clean and somewhat professional looking compared with my usual grows. Already bare bulbing it now I see most people veg horizontally.. I can't really be bothered setting up reflector again, does it make a big difference or should it be ok? My strain is quite bushy so not worried if the go a little spindly

12 inches tall as of now ill probably flip at 2.5' or 3 weeks into veg, whatever happens first...

I veg with bulbs vert just have em high not like in flower

AJAE

Dr.RedWhite

I would run 4 plants, veg em to 2 feet, build screens for em and even then it will get tight in there. Once veg gets going it does not take long to get some size on em. 8 would get tight and would not get tall enough to really take advantage of vert unless you 2 tiered them.

420ish

i run 4 in a 4x4x6 cabinet.vegging and tying up and trimming make the biggest difference in having alot of larf or alot of good bud.
i used to do donuts with 8 plants.i got alot of larf due to over crowding.i had individual screens like marlos but i made mine out of 2x2 wood(it was cheaper then pvc)
i then went to 6 plants and yield went up and larf went down.my trimming of the plants was still a work in progress so i still had some larf but it got better.i then moved to a mmj state.
i have been running 4 plants around 2 600's now for a year.shaping and trimming is very important to minimize larf.i veg the clones for 2 to 4 weeks in my veg cabinet.i then veg for another 2 to 4 weeks in the 4x4x6 cabinet before flip.
if there are no problems the four fill my 4x4 cab very nice.when i have problems i have wasted space and lost yield.i have to maintain my plant counts for the mmj laws so i can only run 4 per cabinet.
i have been trying to find the right strain since my fav did not survive the move.
good luck!

Last edited:

420ish

to answer your question what height for a single 600 with a strain that stretches double,i would flip at 18 to 20 inches.