What's new

pit bulls...

Bona Fortuna

Completely agree.
one of the funniest I’ve read……afraid of hounds hunting game…..ran/raised hounds on everything here in Sierras for 25+yrs…..till Cali started to outlaw…….
last thing they are interested in was a human..my kids all had a hand in and Never were they threatened..only dragged around …lol…now game itself…..can be as rough on as any breed can be….not many dogs of any breed will run into a cave to take on long tail cats….speaking of Plotts last one had named Floyd was just that dog…..the courage and ability was worth shedding a tear over when he passed…..

Alligator…!…box dog deluxe….
A dozen in one hand, six in the other. We had different experiences. Any hunting dog that is willing to tail a big cat into a hole is a damn good hunting dog. Your hounds sounded decently socialized. Bestest of boys Mr. Floyd…

We didn’t run ‘hound’ breeds, that’s just what we called them. We used Akita/Rotties. Bite, tear, cold resistant coats with a tenacious attitude. Perfect for the X zones. Coming across a handful of 80-120lb killers in the woods was good reason to be fearful.
NOT socialized and bred towards a certain nastiness, true semi-wild working dogs. Particularly dangerous, since they would drop commands when they were excited. These guys weren’t opportunistic hunters or chasers... they felt they always had the advantage and acted as such.
I’ve got scars to show how dangerous they are.

Big dogs=big hurt. Especially big angry dogs.

island_organics

Pitbulls are made of terriers and mastifs mix...but with terrier caracter.
They need to be trained daily and everything will be fine...If not they will start to be agressive and descructive.
There's no mastiff in the pitbull. They come from old english terriers and bulldogs.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
There's no mastiff in the pitbull. They come from old english terriers and bulldogs.
Historians are fairly confident that the Old English Bulldog is derived from ancient war dogs, such as the old Mastiff or the extinct Alaunt dog.[8][9] Others believe that the true origin of the breed is not entirely clear. Depictions in old prints show that the variety was without doubt a small Mastiff with a comparatively long head. The word 'Mastiff' was eventually dropped when describing these smaller Mastiffs, as the Mastiff proper was found too slow for bull-baiting.

I like more terriers than mastiffs so i got only terrier breeds. I have now reall killer dog which is mix of irish terrier and belgian shepard dog. Very terrier dominant.
Its weapon not a dog.

Last edited:

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
you changed things around from original post BF….
Karelian Bear dogs…Laika’s .., etc had and are northern bred for the purpose of such….and run for days….with grit to spare…they tree game because of their tenacity….
interesting X of Akitas/Rotts….bite, tear and tenacious….no doubt…but to run wild and chase wild game…..they only for themselves….and truly a sad state to harass wild game for no purpose….anyone that would allow their dogs to do such …..shame….and to potentially encounter a human….let alone one who couldn’t defend themselves…..joke…..
those dogs ain’t nothing but junkyard …..with No real purpose but to guard the yard….

island_organics

Historians are fairly confident that the Old English Bulldog is derived from ancient war dogs, such as the old Mastiff or the extinct Alaunt dog.[8][9] Others believe that the true origin of the breed is not entirely clear. Depictions in old prints show that the variety was without doubt a small Mastiff with a comparatively long head. The word 'Mastiff' was eventually dropped when describing these smaller Mastiffs, as the Mastiff proper was found too slow for bull-baiting.

I like more terriers than mastiffs so i got only terrier breeds. I have now reall killer dog which is mix of irish terrier and belgian shepard dog. Very terrier dominant.
Its weapon not a dog.
Fairly confident lol..... even if there are any traces of those ancient breeds in the old english bulldog which is debatable you can't just state that a pitbull is a terrier x mastiff mix. That's not how it works.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I have read that the pit bull may be the original bulldog. The smashed face was added later by mixing in pugs. They think the original American bulldogs are also likely the same breed just separated by geography several generation. I'm definitely no expert and have not researched. But if you look at old drawing of bulldogs they do resemble modern pit bulls more than what people picture as bulldogs.

On a different note. I have also read the neopoliton mastiff, cane Corso and presa canario are all essentially the same breed just bred several generations apart and chosen for different traits. If you look up old neopoliton mastiff pics from before the over wrinkled look, they do very much resemble Corsos and presas.

island_organics

My current dog’s parents and brother who ended up in a friends rescue shelter. The family was breeding the dogs from an old Irish line where the ‘old family line’ originated. One of the son’s had some sort of trouble with the police which ended up with all the dogs being confiscated and quickly rescued by my friend which is how i ended up with my girl who i named Murphy with a nod to her’s and my ancestry. I wish i was able to take on her brother too but it wouldn’t have worked with our old English setter. It was hard enough getting him and Murphy to accept each other.
77A08015-4911-47CA-8E16-6C34C4D96D08.jpeg
338BE6D6-8C0D-4F0C-B67C-71DDEF69CDD2.jpeg
5DEA13D5-EDF5-4EE4-9893-E1125BC73866.jpeg
25CCFD46-90A2-45F2-84ED-B3618BBC2427.jpeg

harvestreaper

Veteran
I have read that the pit bull may be the original bulldog. The smashed face was added later by mixing in pugs. They think the original American bulldogs are also likely the same breed just separated by geography several generation. I'm definitely no expert and have not researched. But if you look at old drawing of bulldogs they do resemble modern pit bulls more than what people picture as bulldogs.

On a different note. I have also read the neopoliton mastiff, cane Corso and presa canario are all essentially the same breed just bred several generations apart and chosen for different traits. If you look up old neopoliton mastiff pics from before the over wrinkled look, they do very much resemble Corsos and presas.
you are correct ,, first bulldogs arrived in south usa on mayflower in 1600s second wave arrived in northeast usa in 1800s with english irish immigrants ,,every modern thoroughbred pitbull descends from english and irish bloodlines ,,the dogs were first recorded in england by roman invaders over 2000 years ago ,,the english people were known as the bulldog breed as the dogs were bred to have same qualities as themselves ,,2000 years later the bulldog breed became a media mockery with winston churchills pug type dogs which sadly are closer to the modern english peoples character lol,,,the bulldog type head is present in the pure bulldogs it was just caricatured by pug crosses and breeding emphasis by people who like such perverse activities ,,,,,
ps
bulldog /bandog/mastiff were sometimes used to describe same breed in history altho today they are very different breeds

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Fairly confident lol..... even if there are any traces of those ancient breeds in the old english bulldog which is debatable you can't just state that a pitbull is a terrier x mastiff mix. That's not how it works.
We say that if we see then we believe, but in fact we believe much better than we see. In fact, we see what we believe all the time and occasionally we see what we cannot believe.
😉

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
My dog is boisterous and lovable I wouldn’t want to own a dog that inflicts fear upon other people
I don't think I would either if I lived in your neighborhood. Too many shootings and robbery around here. The dogs do good at keeping the hoodlums away. There was a shooting less than 3 blocks away on Monday. I don't think the hit anyone because I couldn't find anything in the news. But I heard the shots and the police were all over it. They actuslly have devices all over town that help them triangulate where the shots were fired.

On the bright side. Cops are so busy with gangs and hard drugs that they for the most part don't have time to fuck with anyone not out hurting people.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i had a 100 lb plus giant schnauzer for years. first time the retirees in neighborhood saw him out loose, they would get nervous...until they met him. he liked everyone, people, cats, other dogs, no sweat. i'd take him to the grocery store, and when i came out, there'd be a bunch of folks out there petting him. utterly useless as a guard dog, but his looks would make you think about it, lol...

Bona Fortuna

you changed things around from original post BF….
Karelian Bear dogs…Laika’s .., etc had and are northern bred for the purpose of such….and run for days….with grit to spare…they tree game because of their tenacity….
interesting X of Akitas/Rotts….bite, tear and tenacious….no doubt…but to run wild and chase wild game…..they only for themselves….and truly a sad state to harass wild game for no purpose….anyone that would allow their dogs to do such …..shame….and to potentially encounter a human….let alone one who couldn’t defend themselves…..joke…..
those dogs ain’t nothing but junkyard …..with No real purpose but to guard the yard….
As I said, we had different experiences.
I don’t really think I changed anything but the specificity used as to what the actual breed was and the locations they ran.
I never agreed with how they were used. They weren’t my hounds, either. Never said that I couldn’t protect myself from them, just that they were dangerous and it was righteous to have a healthy fear of them, as they were dangerous. Have they caused me injury? Yes. Another reason the have a healthy fear of them.
If you read, I mention that I’m glad they outlawed the act. Mostly because of the level of irresponsibleness when it came to some of the dog handlers and the dangers these animals posed in nature. I’m not glorifying the terrible nature of the hunters and hounds they ran.

They were basically junkyard mongrels and it was extraordinarily irresponsible to have the animals as they were. Not going to deny that. Call a spade, a spade.

The only good that came from those dogs were the very few that had a healthy enough demeanor to be cattle protection dogs for the rural ranchers.

Latest posts

Latest posts