What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pirate's DIY Sulfur Burner for Dummies

JACKtheREFFER

No Longer a Human Watering Can
Veteran
oil based foliar sprays Vs. Sulfur burner

oil based foliar sprays Vs. Sulfur burner

hello :wave: pirate

first off i hope all is well with your bro I've been following the situation on your other thread..and that really sucks !!!!hopefully you two will have better days ..

i recently broke down and built the sulfur burner, purty much to your specs. thanks btw ...I've been battling damn PM for a while now ....so BYE BYE
fucken PM, meet sulfur :dueling:
basicallyi had a ????? about my use of Sm-90 before a burn..

i stopped spraying the plants with Sm-90 about two days ago. i want to burn as soon as possible to stop its spread to a new group i want to start .... can i spray them with water the day before the burn, in attempt to wash away the remaining Sm- 90 will this help prevent the sulfur from burning the leaves ...

from what i read, most directions on store bought sulfur burners. it says wait 30 days after spraying any oil based spray including Sm-90 ...

i cant wait that long it will take over the new group too i know it ...one thing to add the last spray of Sm-90 was at about half strength , i knew the S.B. was coming next i just was in denial :wallbash:

if i wash them well, early in the lights on period let them dry and then burn that night >>> what do u think ??

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
Sup Jack !!
Ya know.......I couldn't tell ya man. I have never sprayed sm90 before.

IF the sulfer peopel say not to after using the SM90..........then I would'nt. But Like you and getting desperate with the PM.......I would spray with plain water to try and wash it off and probably burn the sulfer anyway.

Keep in mind......If you spray with high PH water......like 9.0.......you'll kill PM spores. Even with plain water.

Just a side note that I am going to post on page ONE as an update.
The green bulb I suggested eventually loses its green coating/color after 20 or so hours of run time. I assume its from being enclosed in the can and getting overheated. SO....if your going to run this in the bloom room during the dark cycle........heads up.

I am working on a solution for this.

Thanks for the props and good wishes for my Bro !!

KCToon

Thanks, Pirate! I discovered PM two days ago, built your sulfur burner out of 6" vent material using a 100w PAR/G/1 outdoor security lamp (Felt Electric) from Orchard Supply. I never found a true spot PAR in green. The thing is in the tent right now doing its thing beautifully. Orchard Supply didn't have pellet sulfur, so I'm using 90% micronized spray or dust from Bonide, also from Orchard Supply. This burn is 40 days into flower, and I'm anxious, yes, I'm anxious.

Pirate

Veteran
Thanks, Pirate! I discovered PM two days ago, built your sulfur burner out of 6" vent material using a 100w PAR/G/1 outdoor security lamp (Felt Electric) from Orchard Supply. I never found a true spot PAR in green. The thing is in the tent right now doing its thing beautifully. Orchard Supply didn't have pellet sulfur, so I'm using 90% micronized spray or dust from Bonide, also from Orchard Supply. This burn is 40 days into flower, and I'm anxious, yes, I'm anxious.
Cool !!

After trying every remedy under the sun.............My home built burner is the ONLY thing that actually eliminated the PM problem. Its a method thats been used for thousands of years and is still the best. Who can argue with the technology of ancient Egypt?

Welcome to ICMAG !!

Pirate

Veteran
Here is an update I Copied from my "cave" thread.

What up all you Scallywags ?!?!

Sorry for the absence. There has been alot going on but.........All is good out here !! (and in the cave)

My computer took a shit 2 weeks ago and the technician said my hard drive is shot. Need a new one. That Sucks !! That thing cost me $2000.00 just 3 years ago. I am on a friends right now but am working on an old piece of crap I've had laying around for a temporary solution till I can get my good one fixed.

I really want to thank all of you for the kind words, thoughts and prayers concerning my brother being diagnosed with leukemia. Those of you that prayed?................Git back on your knees and say another prayer to thank the God in heaven for His answer because the answer He gave you was a resounding "HE"S GONNA LIVE" !!! The cancer is in remission and he is doing well. (and he is finally free from the grey bar motel too) !!

He was given an 80% chance of not responding to the Chemo and blood transfusions since the cancer was so far advanced. His body had quit making blood cells. They told him he had 2 months to live at best. NOT !! So just to repeat. He is in full remission and is doing great. But he is still undergoing treatments every two weeks for now and there is no gaurantee it can't return. He lost all his hair and a ton of weight but is happier than a pig in shit that the sky is blue and the grass is green and has a second chance at life.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Thanks for the well wishes !!!

R

racinj37

why not use a 100 watt ceramic reptile heating element

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/13141/product.web

no light at all

Good point Jack abou the ceramic heating element. It emits no light.

See diy sulfur vaporizer here.

http://www.*********.com/forums/f95/diy-sulphur-burner-7341/

btw (********* = t h c fa r m e r) you have to fill in the blank because the site prevents me from using correct link.....I guess icmag doesn't want us getting our information from somewhere else :wallbash:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
OMG Pirate, that's the next best thing to sliced bread. Amazing, the ingenuity of stoners. Hope I never have to use a burner but I know where to go if I do.

Groundhog

friggin great

friggin great

Mr.Pirate :woohoo:
may the winds be steady and the seas calm before you.
excellent post,i have built mine already.Had to buy the damn coffee cans and donate the grounds to a mission.( I don't drink the curse of the middle east),but i still don't think i have much more than about $20 into it including the light bulb.Gotta get to the grow store tomorrow and get some sulfur.
mega tx

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
I saw this thread a couple weeks ago, and was walking thru the hardware store the other day and saw charcoal chimneys:
077924073939md.jpg

They have the right shape, and some even have a support structure type deal in the chimney that might help you out in construction. That grey plastic handle would be an ideal wall-mount. (and it has a hanger) Just got to make sure the thing is too far away to cause a fire...

Also, ever think about using a 100W aquarium heater instead of the bulb? (to solve the light leak problem) I have been trying to think of ways to make that work, but I can't quite get it figured out...

Weener00

thanks for this great info pirate! you really are an inspiration. i too have to take crap from my 'wench' about being a pack rat. yet again it will pay off.

i read the whole thread and did not find an answer to my question although it was brought up.
does it kill spider mites?
does it control anything else that is not mentioned?

thanks for the great info!
weener00

Pirate

Veteran
Hey Weener !!

I would not know if it kills mites.....my guess would be no.

It does take care of thrips and white flies though.

Have not had a Powdery Mildew problem in alomost a year since I built this thing........and its still going. Same one as original.

A couple posts above missed the point of a budget DIY burner. YES you can go buy a ceramic element for $75 / 80 bucks.......or use a bulb for 5 bucks. But if I was gonna spend 80 bucks on an element.......may as well spend 100 / 115 on a whole burner.

You choose. My 25 dollar burner works just fine.

Hey Pirate,

Great thread. My issue is I always have a hard time finding a place to park my pirate ship!

I read the whole thread and never saw where you mentioned how late into flower you were burning it and if it left any taste? What is your schedule now? Still once a week for 2 hrs a time?

wow... this is my first post since joining in 2006... I guess I have been lurking

RockyMntHigh

Pirate inspired me (thanks) and I built one from a charcoal chimney($15) and a heating elimate ($40), the rest I had around the house. Must say it was worth the time. I'd played around with it a few times, but can't get visable smoke or vapors. I do see crystals on the walls of the burner. Is this ok or should I see smoke while its on?

moisturemissle

Is it okay to gas the little bastids when the lights are on? I noticed you said you do it when the lights are off. I use 24 hour light during veg, will it hurt em to do it with the lights on ? Will it cork their little stomata ? nothing worse than a plugged up epidermis!

moisturemissle

Wow, what an informative and helpfull site. Everybody just dying to help out. Guess I'll just burn the shit and see if they die. Thanks to all those helpful members on this site.:booked:

Y

YosemiteSam

Wow, what an informative and helpfull site. Everybody just dying to help out. Guess I'll just burn the shit and see if they die. Thanks to all those helpful members on this site.:booked:

Perhaps better than whining about others would be to use your head...just maybe you could do one day of 18/6 which would not send them into flower and would allow you to do the burn with the lights off...like Mr. Pirate suggests.

Or try it with the lights on and tell us how it goes.

Your grow, your choice.

Latest posts

Latest posts