What's new

Pictures of your COMPOST TEA BREWER set-ups (DIY + Pre-Fabricated)

Vandenberg

Curious to as to what works for you, how do you do the brew?
What yoodoo?
A picture here is now officialy worth a thousand words. :) but yet I keep writing. :)

I now know that I was probably fooling myself as to adequacy of the little ol' air pumps I have used in the past, I may now have over-compensated with my new build.
I have here my airlift tea brewer style (influenced) recirculating compost tea bubbler I recently built.
It Is constantly recirculating the composts extract as it aggressively creates a turbulent surface area that helps to highly aerate the suspended in a teabag "compost dujour" with its "turbo charged" commercial sized air pump is pushing it @ 1189GPH/75 litres a minute.
A lot of big air-pumps can be had these days for 40 bucks online.
This now nicknamed "Mr Bubbler" hybrid setup would perhaps rock 50+gallons or so easily with or without a taller pipe riser, I would reckon/guess.
I love that it can be easily disassembled and its components can be cleaned/sanitized while conviently using a bottle brush to accomplish that.
I did have to submerge the 1-1/4" riser pipe well below the water surface
( instead of spewing the fluctuating tea surges above the surface in order to help to muffle the now being replicted sound of a little 2cycle motorboat motor idling and justa putt-putting away at the dock, a continuous bub-bub-bub-bub-bub..........sound.)
This design is definitely not recommended for an apartment dweller, unless the neighbors are cool, and even they may tell you to "shut that fucking thing up, we're trying to sleep here". ;-)
I tried to initially build it for a 5gallon bucket but that was too much air action for such a small container,as it turned out, so I stretched her lower pipe out to fit a 20 gallon rectangular trash can.
It's hard to have too much infused oxygen to actively support the creation of these microscopic lifeforms, but apparently I'm going to give it one hell of a try.
IMG_20220914_192639381_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220915_103921.jpg
IMG_20220915_103140.jpg
IMG_20220915_104607.jpg

I've had excellent results recently using this "open source recipe" product called "Boogie Brew Heavy Harvest Tea that is a very well thought out blend of premium quality organic substances.
"DragonFly Earth Medicine" is another mom and pop operation that produces a line of micronized inoculants of herbs, bacteria, humates, and Endo Mycorrhizae that are worth a look see. The " fat flowers" herbal blend product I think is their best seller, at least it is the best known.

So yep, i have gone and hit the easy button on this and have retired my Ol' cement/fertilizer mixer and am so over buying many large sacks ( to get the discount price) of organics to try to concoct up some magic voodoo satchels to brew.

Lets see your brewers!

Happy Harvests,
Vandenberg :)

And here's one for the big dogs :)
Braniac scientist Mr. "Einstein" Wilson's (thats a compliment) treasure trove of microbial technical information to wade through is over @ the web-site Microbe Organics where it will most likely teach ya a thing or three about micro-critter husbandry + best practices. :)

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
My research points to simplicity being most effective.

- No water pumps, only air bubbles to keep biotics in one piece
- Simple hose, airpump and bucket to eliminate the majority of cracks and crevices which can hold bad biota

Easy turbulence without damage and easy to keep clean equals super effective. ;)

Rico Swazi

Lets see your brewers!

Okie Dokie but yours is much cleaner and more powerful than mine
I did have a DO meter test several times over 6.2 ppm (edited not percentage as I previously stated) @74F in this configuration at the beginning brew (edit- friend said ppm not %, TYVM Kregor)
Feedstock was fungal/bacterial compost shown along with 2 cups alfalfa, 1 c molasses 25-30 gal. rainwater
30 to 40 hrs brewing turns a dirty color sometimes with foam, sometime not
either way, the earth smell is greatly enhanced signaling to me it's ready
I put a lid upside down to let the splash drip back inside instead of out on the ground
That is why the foam in the last pic looks like the top has been removed

Good for a chuckle for two eh Van?

20230110_101633.jpg

20230110_101815.jpg

IMG_5982.JPG

IMG_5979.JPG

IMG_5909.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts