What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pickling Jars

Would it be possible to cure your buds in a self-burping pickling jar?
51m0qX46vOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
They have a one-way nipple on top of the canning jar that releases pressure when the humidity/atmospheric pressure in the jar gets too high...my theory is that you could cure without having to burp the jar daily, just let them sit and not disturb the buds...I could see the RH of the room the jars are in being a factor in this...but it seems like maybe this would be a way to do a bovida-style cold cure without maintaining that less than 55%/55°F you need to prevent condensation in the jars.

starke

I always thought those lids worked only on pressure in order to release the buildup of of CO2 from fermenting veggies. I don't know that drying/curing bud would generate the positive pressure needed to activate the nipple.

I don't know that drying/curing bud would generate the positive pressure needed to activate the nipple.

Possibly, but I wonder if one could be developed. Something that could more precisely control the burping, it might even lead to a more complete cure if it could be developed.

Allow me to second that. There's no reaction creating positive pressure, the way there is in an active ferment. All the moisture would be trapped inside...

I will say, since you brought up mason jar / fermentation tech, there are vacuum lids you can buy for mason jars that come with a hand pump that you can use to suck out all the oxygen, so that once they're already cured, you can store them long-term in perfect condition. This is after curing, though, since here's no longer any air-exchange or vapor exchange between herb and ambient within the vacuum-sealed jar...

https://www.amazon.com/Stack-Mason-Lids-5-Pk-Mouth/dp/B00TGGG4PE

I used to do that with dry ice, loosely close the lid with a chunk of dry ice at the bottom of the bud, by the time it evaporates all of the oxygen is basically gone, seal & store in a cool dark place like a wine cellar.

The release of humidity by the plant does not change the atmospheric pressure in the jar one iota. Without doubt of any kind, you will have burp this jar. It will not release the contained humidity on its own. I have fermented vegetables in these jars, and know how much pressure it takes to push past the mechanical resistance they offer. All moisture released by the herb will remain in the jar, since internal pressure will be 100% unchanged.

Drewsif

Burping isn't about moisture, bud needs fresh oxygen to cure. Otherwise it's fermentation and takes ages.

Unless you grow southwest hydro garbage, where the fatty acids, thiols and ketones
have been replaced with novelty booster product and water.... There's a fake/hydro/los Angeles subforum for growing, there should be one for "curing" also, since it's a completely different plant from the natural product. One with low Brix, zero proteins enzymes fatty acids starches, etc, and one loaded with that sticky delicious goodness. 2 completely different plants. You cant really cure one of them. The one that people put on the fridge and smother with brovida.. The one that never wins a Cannabis Cup north of Bakersfield