What's new

Phytocannabinoids and Endocannabinoids

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Progress in understanding the molecular mechanisms of cannabis action was made after discovery of cannabinoid
receptors in the brain and the finding of endogenous metabolites with affinity to them. Activation of cannabinoid receptors
on synaptic terminals results in regulation of ion channels, neurotransmitter release and synaptic plasticity. Neuromodulation
of synapses by the cannabinoids is proving to have a wide range of functional effects, making them potential
targets as medical preparations in a variety of illnesses, including some mental disorders and neurodegenerative illnesses.
Cannabis contains a large amount of substances with affinity for the cannabinoid receptors. The endocannabinoids
are a family of lipid neurotransmitters that engage the same membrane receptors targeted by tetrahydrocannabinol and that
mediate retrograde signal from postsynaptic neurons to presynaptic ones. Discovery of endogenous cannabinoids and
studies of the physiological functions of the cannabinoid system in the brain and body are producing a number of important
findings about the role of membrane lipids and fatty acids in nerve signal transduction. Plant, endogenous and synthetic
cannabinoids are using in these studies. The role of lipid membranes in the cannabinoid system follows from the
fact that the source and supply of endogenous cannabinoids are derived from arachidonic acid, an important membrane
constituent. The study of structure-activity relationships of molecules which influence the cannabinoid system in the brain
and body is crucial in search of medical preparations with the therapeutic effects of the phytocannabinoids without the

negative effects on cognitive function attributed to cannabis.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
So why did you clutter up the forum with this when there is already a thread for posting scholarly articles?

Really dude? 3 Whole Post and this is what you have to say? Contribute or bounce... :tiphat:

Im enhancing this section by adding lots of useful information.... When my Bro Spurr comes back....bring a pencil and paper...be prepared to takes notes

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Sometimes I have been accused of being a little slow, not that I buy into that, but still...
I had this simplified for me by another and I do not understand if I understand.

MJ regulates the regulatory systems? Say a spinal glial cell is inflamed by opiates and begins firing fairly nonstop in response. The MJ receptors detect this overfiring and release inhibitors to slow it down, or rather uninhibit the normal inhibitors so they can do their day job. Is this even close? Is it just doubletalk?

Is there a short word version that doesn't dance around and is still accurate?

Halfway through the authors start comparing pot to alcohol and opinionating on social behaviors. WTF does pot have to do with alcohol, and why include anecdotal opinions on behavior in an article on chemistry?

And a conflict I am personally interested in. I have been told many times for many years that MJ is not processed through the liver. Whoa, 100% opposite of what this article says. Before they got into the alcohol and gateway drug crap I was going with this as a well researched paper, and figured I had previously been told incorrectly, now I am not sure.

By their including stupid stuff in the writings, I do the guilt by association thing. Since I know for sure they have it wrong on science I know about, can I trust anything said about science I am unfamiliar with?

This one wasted my time, the other posting I read was great. Karma is maintained.

highonmt

Veteran
Progress in understanding the molecular mechanisms of cannabis action was made after discovery of cannabinoid
receptors in the brain and the finding of endogenous metabolites with affinity to them. Activation of cannabinoid receptors
on synaptic terminals results in regulation of ion channels, neurotransmitter release and synaptic plasticity. Neuromodulation
of synapses by the cannabinoids is proving to have a wide range of functional effects, making them potential
targets as medical preparations in a variety of illnesses, including some mental disorders and neurodegenerative illnesses.
Cannabis contains a large amount of substances with affinity for the cannabinoid receptors. The endocannabinoids
are a family of lipid neurotransmitters that engage the same membrane receptors targeted by tetrahydrocannabinol and that
mediate retrograde signal from postsynaptic neurons to presynaptic ones. Discovery of endogenous cannabinoids and
studies of the physiological functions of the cannabinoid system in the brain and body are producing a number of important
findings about the role of membrane lipids and fatty acids in nerve signal transduction. Plant, endogenous and synthetic
cannabinoids are using in these studies. The role of lipid membranes in the cannabinoid system follows from the
fact that the source and supply of endogenous cannabinoids are derived from arachidonic acid, an important membrane
constituent. The study of structure-activity relationships of molecules which influence the cannabinoid system in the brain
and body is crucial in search of medical preparations with the therapeutic effects of the phytocannabinoids without the

negative effects on cognitive function attributed to cannabis.

This is interesting thanks for posting. It is ironic that doctors or the 1800's used cannabis to treat many of the conditions/diseases that are now the focus of cannabiniod reseach. If we could only go back and knock off Hurst et al and make cannabis research on par with opioid research think off where medicine would be today.
HM